Quick Quotes: Notch’s opinions on piracy

Friday, 13th January 2012 00:56 GMT By Jessica Citizen

“Piracy is not a solution to anything,” says Minecraft creator Notch. The Swedish developer has never really hidden his views on piracy. Summarised, the Minecraft creator considers software theft a “minor offense” overall, something on par with jaywalking or littering.

It’s not really surprising then, that when a fan commented that he loved the game but couldn’t afford a copy for himself, the creator suggested that he “just pirate it“. Almost as an afterthought, “don’t forget to feel bad.”

Twitter, predictably, exploded. Marcus, predictably, shrugged: “These have been my views on piracy FOREVER,” he says, observing that “There are enough honest people out there who can afford the game. I’ll just focus on them.”

(Awesome Minecraft pirate ship image found via Minecraft Gallery)

1. Yoshi

I tip my hat to notch.

He seems to understand the bigger picture. Of course pirating is there and most likely always will be, but it’s no where near the biggest issue or the main thing to focus on.

2. mathare92

That has to be the best Twitter exchange ever.

3. JPickford

He’s a class act. And right of course.

4. deathgaze

I was having a conversation with DSB about piracy in the Witcher 2 news story and we skirted around this topic.

In reality, people can’t always afford this stuff, so they’ll do whatever they can to get it. I know when I was po’ that I pirated a few games, but the grand majority I eventually bought. Notch knows this because he’s been there. It’s great to see a public figure like Notch say that poor folks can go ahead and feel entitled if they really can’t afford it. As long as you feel bad about it. :) Either way, it’s a far cry away from the economic conservative philosophy that poor people should do nothing but work until they can afford to have some R&R.

In a lot of ways, guilt really does make the world go ’round.

5. silkvg247

GF played the pirated minecraft for a bit just to try it out, and though she intended to buy it anyway (so long as she liked it), she was prompted into action sooner by the fact that a little sad face pops up saying it’s not a legal version (but doesn’t stop you playing at all).

I think the pirated version with the sad face was probably intentionally released to torrent sites by Notch himself. Frankly an absolute genius move. Don’t be scared of piracy, use it for completely free distribution and guilt trip people without locking down the game. :)

6. DSB

Notch is untouchable. I wish someone had passed Bethesda that memo :P

@4 There are quite a few distinctions in that, once again. What we were discussing was a game that was made by a lot more people, which earned a lot less, with the expenses of a lot more than one guy. Notch was rich before he expanded Mojang, and he was essentially selling stakes in the development of his game, rather than a full release product. That’s an entirely different product.

The Witcher 2 also offered free DLC post-launch, which Notch has claimed as the best way to make a turnover on pirates. Black and white logic rarely applies.

I also don’t think he’s saying that piracy isn’t bad for anyone.