Quick shots – XCOM: Enemy Unknown gets up close and personal

Thursday, 12th January 2012 01:29 GMT By Brenna Hillier

2K has released three new screens for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the Firaxis-developed strategy title causing underwear explosions amongst series fans.

It’s interesting to see just how close you can get to the action when sending your squad on missions, but you’ll note a fairly traditional, almost isometric view in there, too.

Based on and reportedly quite faithful to the classic PC games, Enemy Unknown was this month’s GameInformer surprise reveal, and has helped placate those who were disappointed to learn 2K Marin’s XCOM game would be a shooter.

1. The_Red

Am I the only one who feels that the shots released so far look really horrible in terms of technical graphics? I know they are zoomed in views but the some textures and most models look specially bad.

2. Blerk

No, you’re not alone. It looks disappointingly shonky, to be frank. Hopefully it’s still really early days on the ‘spit and polish’ front.

3. Erthazus

^ You can clearly see people who never played XCOM games or Tactical strategy games before.

XCOM is not about visuals. Visuals are absolutely fine, if you don’t remember (and of course you don’t) XCOM was made out of 2D sprites and it looked horrible. sound is very important for XCOM for example because of the creepy atmosphere.

Gamers who love the series should worry only about the interface that looks like for young audience who plays Call of Duty or console games only and never played hardcore tactical strategy game or XCOM.

4. Blerk

I’ve played the original UFO: Enemy Unknown several times a year since it was originally released in 1994, Erth. I was playing it just last weekend. The sprites still look great. This doesn’t – it looks bland and entirely lacking in the charm and style that the original had.

5. Erthazus

@4, XCOM looked at that time really bad. The only part where that game had charm is sound.
    Sound is very important for the atmosphere.

6. Blerk

Balls it looked bad! It still looks pretty good even now.

7. Erthazus

I dunno, sprites to me look.. ugh… some parts i could not even recognize.

but sound is epic. XCOM was always scary.

8. absolutezero

Settle down.

It looks like Alien Swarm.

9. OrbitMonkey

I’m sorry, but anyone who thinks this…

Looks better than the latest effort, is wearing some pretty thick rose tinted spectacles o_O

10. LOLshock94

any chance this could be a arcade title?

11. DSB

I think the main problem with these screens is with the art direction. Those terribly designed aliens have no place in an X-Com game as far as I’m concerned.

It’s impossible to say anything about gameplay at this point, but totally anonymous alien design, as well as space marine operatives makes me think they might not be spot on, even if they talk an exceptionally good game.

Personally I’d prefer if they’d gone for a Silent Storm’ish model, that’s the only proper 3D turnbased strategy game I can remember playing. I think the design started to suffer when they went for a console release.

@3 UFO:Enemy Unknown was remarkable for the beautiful graphics when it came out. We were all amazed by it, I didn’t know anyone who wasn’t. I think it’s clear to see who didn’t pick it up back then.

@6 Indeed. The interface was years ahead of it’s time, which is probably a key reason why I’ll still pick it up once a year pretty much ever since it came out.

@9 You’re talking about a game that came out almost 2 decades ago. It looked amazing back then, and it’s still very playable. Of course it doesn’t look better, but it still looks great.