Blizzard announces price drop on WoW expansions in Europe

Saturday, 7th January 2012 14:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Blizzard has announced it’s cut the price of World of Warcraft expansions in Europe at both retail and through the Blizzard Store. Those who have yet to purchase expansions for the MMO, or who are just new to the fray, can now pick up Wrath of the Lich King for €19.99 and Cataclysm for €29.99. At present, there hasn’t been a price cut announcement for the US, as both expansions are listed on the store for $39.99; however, some retailers sell it for less than the suggested retail price, so it might be in your best interest to shop around.

1. John117

Hmm, saw a copy for Cataclysm today for only 6,5£ :S And thats in Norway, the most expensive country known to man >>

2. Erthazus

Even digital versions are cheap as hell.

After Cataclysm, Blizzard started to lose some ground… Cata is a clusterfuck full of bugs and glitches.

and the worst part is that they released 4.3 already and thats the last content for Cata…

3. monty12345

I guess it’s desperation at this stage. Sad too, I used to love wow, played it for 4 years, it just didn’t feel the same whenever cataclysm came out though, that’s why I stopped.

I think because the game actually got better. More impressive quests etc, people started talking to eachother less, which killed it I think, it just felt like a mediocre RPG at that stage, not the community-driven thing it used to be, since all the phasing meant there was less of a chance of meeting people randomly..

4. Talkar

To me it was the game becoming more and more friendly towards the noobs in the game, and in the process alieanating the hardcore players. The looking for raid tool just proves this, and the xp boost patch (whatever number patch that was).

5. DSB

Desperation = Projection.

Going downhill after 8 years as the be all and end all of profitable MMORPGs can hardly be called a bad run, nor should it really rattle anyone.

Any concern I have at this point is more towards Blizzard wanting to cater to everyone. I guess you can say they certainly didn’t with Starcraft 2, but Diablo 3 feels like it’s supposed to be a new platform. The days of making standalone original titles are gone, now you make a game and issue 3-4 sequels. I’d be very surprised if that wasn’t what’s intended for Diablo 3.

If you keep going for close to a decade, you’re going to end up fighting your own creation, people can only play so much. To me it sounds perfectly reasonable to play an MMO for 4 years and lose interest. That’s a pretty good run compared to pretty much anything out there. Considering that you pay to spend that kind of time with it is pretty impressive on it’s own.

It’s gonna be interesting to see what the next big thing will be though.

@4 The thing that got to me was recycling. For me it was all about “The Kill”. Now it’s all about doing the same kill three different ways. That’s not interesting to me, but I probably had my fill anyway.

6. OrbitMonkey

Pfft… MMO’s… Sad freaks doing the same shit, in the same place over and over… Always with the excuse that it’s the *community* that makes up for the repetitive shallow grindfest that’s laughably called *gameplay*.

Fucking losers… *fires up MW3*

7. Erthazus

@4, yeah. True.

Dragon Soul Raid is pathetic right now. With the system that can give you “free” 384 level item every week, you can basically kiss goodbye to raiding.

8. GwynbleiddiuM

@7 Not quite, it depends on your expectation from the game. If LFR satisfies you then it’s how you chose to play. This kind of things are not bad, granted the item drops from LFR shouldn’t be having set bonus or imba Deathwing trinket/weapon drops because firstly not everyone should be able to have great raiding gear and second why would a casual player need such a gear anyway?

But, everyone has some points, the only problem right now I have with LFR is that every loot goes too n00bz and shit players most of the time. And of course DS raid shouldn’t be the one with LFR function.

DSB has a point in recycling but that doesn’t bother me much, let’s face it you have a fantasy universe because it allows you to recycle and do anything with any character you ever introduced and/or killed.

The only problem with WoW is unlike previous 2 expansions Blizzard failed to really promote it’s prime villain in terms of story telling and questing. Even though the Twilight force were always in WoW, from the very beginning. The pre-launch plans for cataclysm were much better than the expansion itself. Only 4.2 with Firelands and dailies were a bit better, and LFR spoiled Dragon Soul raid by allowing it to be played by everyone. I’d have liked it more if Blizzard could just bring LFR with separate raids like older raids like the first 3 cata raids or Firelands, or maybe 2 raids from previous contents Like Serpentshrine Cavern and Naxxramass. If they did, Hardcore players wouldn’t be feeling so let down and in fact they would’ve loved it for the sake of nostalgia alone.

9. Erthazus

@8, Gwyn, LFR is just the start. They just tested it, soon you are going to have that thing on every raid there is and you will lose the interest in the end. It’s just the start.

Also,

Cataclysm in it’s current form is pathetic. Really pathetic considering that Blizzard makes most of the money from the consumer + there are lots of bugs and as DSB said: “Any concern I have at this point is more towards Blizzard wanting to cater to everyone.”

thats the biggest freakin problem. The issue here is that Blizzard tried to connect casual and hardcore and in the end it was a bad idea. One gigantic mess. Blizzard also have issues with new ideas right now, especially after Deathwing death.

Mists of Pandaria looks not really promising because there won’t be any villains because… well, after Deathwing there are only Mighty Titans left and Blizzard does not even know how to put them in the game. also, they said that Pandaria will be all about war factions, so basically they are switching to PVP this time.

I don’t know. For me, it looks like blizzard just don’t know what to do. They should start with fixing these damn bugs at least.

10. GwynbleiddiuM

There will be villains, but they just didn’t introduced it yet. I’m speculating on an Old God appearance, but regardless as Metzen already said there will be a prime villain, they just broke the pattern of revealing it early.

And MoP wont be ALL about faction wars and pvp, they just attempting to get the WoW to Vanilla and TBC level where open world PVP especially in TBC was a huge factor. Like the Battle of Hala and so on they were present in at least 4 zones in Outland territory, but it got significantly reduced to a single isolated PVP focused zones; Wintergrasp and Tol Barad Peninsula. Isolated zones, for PVPers, they want it to be more challenging this time and even though in every realm I play my faction is like 4:1 I understand why they’re doing it because the faction war was pushed to sides and now it’ll be the center of attention. That doesn’t meant PVE is dead. PVE will still be the major thing because frankly killing bosses and getting to hardmode content still is the main reason most people play WoW.

They’re taking a step toward Burning Crusade like content where PVP and PVE were both awesome and enjoyable outside of Battleground/RBG/Arena content.

And what bug? :D I really don’t see many bugs, there are some and they’ve addressed a lot of issues in 4.3.2 patch which’ll go live soon.

Well I understand why people are concerned with blizzard catering to everyone but I have no problem people enjoying the content I’m enjoying in a different level. My main concern is the gap between good and mediocre is closing in and people who shouldn’t be having difference making PVE gear so easily are getting them very easily. I’d have liked it if LFR gear wasn’t tier set and Weapons didn’t have the same especial ability as the normal DS counterparts.

11. Talkar

Why is there no mention of the StarCraft 2 price drop? xD

12. DSB

By recycling I didn’t mean creatively, that was always a cool part of WoW, that it was an extension of the original games.

I mean actually recycling. Making people kill a boss, and then expecting them to kill the very same boss with slightly different conditions. That can just not ever be interesting for me. All it does is save work for the developers.

I enjoyed taking bosses apart, learning tactics, but once we got the guy, the thrill could only last if we went to a new boss, with new challenges. The fact that you’re doing the same kill two or even three different ways just killed it for me.

It sounds like Diablo 3 is going to do some of the same, by having different difficulty levels. I’m hoping it’ll turn out well, it certainly has the spit and polish and stylish flair that you’d expect, but I’m not feeling the mood.

I think there’s a big difference between WoW and Starcraft 2, and I think Diablo 3 is going to be it’s own game as well. I just hope it’s going to be a lot deeper than what the beta provides.