EA: 1 million subs for SWTOR since before Christmas, 60 million hours played since launch

Tuesday, 3rd January 2012 12:59 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EA announced before Christmas that over 1 million people have signed up for Star Wars: The Old Republic since December 20, adding on Boxing Day that 60 million hours have been spent in the MMO since launch.

Before Christmas, the publisher confirmed that 28 million gameplay hours had been played to date – “roughly equivalent to watching all six Star Wars movies, two million times” – with an average of five hours per day.

It added in a second press release on Boxing Day that there’d been 60 million hours spent in-game, which came “roughly equivalent to watching all six Star Wars movies over 4 million times.”

Other stats dropped by EA included:

• Over 850,000 Sith Warriors and over 810,000 Jedi Knights created
  • Over 260 million quests completed
  • Over 44 million PvP battles
  • Over 9 million space combat missions completed
  • Over 3 billion NPCs killed

More recent figures should be released soon by EA.

The BioWare MMO went live on December 20 after a week-long early access period.

1. viralshag

Will be interesting to see the figures after 6 months. TOR has some heavy competition for its subs and time this year.

I’m really enjoying the game but even I’m starting to feel other games pull me away from it. And with a year that includes games such as: Amalur, ME3, Syndicate, GW2, Prototype 2, Borderlands 2, Darksiders 2 and Diablo… well, it’s a tough time to commit to an MMO.

I just don’t think I’m cut out for MMOs any more. Too little time and too much to do.

2. Talkar

I already have over 200 hours of gametime in SWTOR, and i’m still fully enjoying it. I especially love the really subtle references to the movies, but also to the books!

3. John117

I cant seem to get the time I want to dump on this game… Manged to lvl a Jedi Knight and a Bounty Hunter to 11 and 8. So far the game is great, low lvl questing is actually pretty fun, so hoping it will stay that way when I reach lvl 30+.

Think the only game that will force me from this game is Mass Effect 3, which is also a Bioware game xP

4. viralshag

I’m currently at 41, I had most of last week off from the game but I had a massive binge to catch up and I went from about 33 to 41 over the last 2 days or so.

I’m playing as a Smuggler (Scoundrel, healing/DPS), it’s a pretty fun non-Jedi class.

5. GwynbleiddiuM

I’m glad EA banned all IP addresses from Iran, if they didn’t have Darth Siavash would’ve choked them to death with the Force by now.

6. DSB

@1 Trudat. I’ll probably be going with Diablo 3 myself. SWTOR just doesn’t look interesting enough to pay the price.

Judging from the beta, it’ll be a while before Diablo is ready to hit the street though.