Report – Alan Wake sales figures close to 1.5 million units

Friday, 2nd December 2011 21:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

IndustryGamers is reporting that Alan Wake may have sold much better than previously thought, especially once digital sales of the title are taken into consideration.

According to sources close to the site, 900,000 sales of the title were never counted for Alan Wake’s digital release. Compiled with NPD figures, which currently set at 330,000 physical units lifetime, the game actually sold around 1.23 million units. Add in an extra 170,000 units of global sales and the figure reaches 1.4 million.

IG derived part of the figures from the Xbox 360 bundle released for Holiday 2010 that included a digital copy of Alan Wake and a physical copy of Forza 3. According to the site’s source, the digital sales of the bundled Alan Wake weren’t counted towards its numbers, but Halo Reach which was included as a digital download in a bundle released this year, were counted. Interesting.

When contacted, Microsoft refused comment, however, Remedy’s head of franchise development, Oskari Häkkinen had this to say on the matter: “Unfortunately we can’t share numbers with you… The Wake bundles are substantial, in fact about half of the story – the untold story if you like. At the end of the day, we all love to follow charts, but the most important thing for Remedy really is about knowing how many people we reach and entertain – not necessarily what a measure or sales chart says.”

“Alan Wake’s digital bundle was the first of it’s kind,” he continued. “As a developer, we like testing new ground and when the digital opportunity was presented to us, we accepted. It’s good to see more of it being done now as it reflects the success of the Wake bundle.

“To take a guess, I’d presume the reason the numbers haven’t been registered is due to the untrodden ground we stepped on last year with the Wake digital bundle– Digital packages now seem to be part of business as usual, as are the sales. We certainly wouldn’t mind seeing those sales added to the pot also though.”

Whether counted internally by Microsoft or not, it did well enough to warrant a digital follow-up to the game, and is slated for next year.

It will be revealed on December 10 at the Spike VGAs.

1. _LarZen_

I just love that game..it deserves to sell a hell of a lot more.

2. JimFear-666

this is weak …

3. xxJPRACERxx

Really liked Alan Wake, except the ending for the 2nd dlc and the low-res (but overall really good) gfx. When taking your time this is a really immersive game. I would buy it again on the PC if they relase a version someday (like never, I know).

4. Moonwalker1982

I love horror/mystery movies and games, but for some reason (i blame it on the backlog of other games) i haven’t gotten around to continue with it. Just like Dead Space I and II, i find these the kind of games to only play at nighttime, but every time when it came down to it i was in the mood for a different game. I really should continue with it sometime soon.

5. Erthazus

It was a decent game in my opinion. It was not bad and not average. But if they could fix few issues it could be a really good game in my opinion.
    first of all they need to fix convoluted story, repetitive stuff. I think they know their issues.

6. Phoenixblight

Really the game would have been solid if they weren’t trying to sell it as a horror or thriller game because its anything but. Homecoming was better than this game. The only thing I did like was the environment, lighting, and level design.

7. Prof.Dr.Moertel

My favorite game of this gen. The amount of digital sales is impressive – now I know why the follow-up will be on XBLA.

8. itsucks

@2dicks, @ErzaTWATzus, @6dicksinhisass: Butthurt it sold, andrent ya? : )

Deserved, best console Horror games this gen. Eat shit SH.

9. NiceFellow

Sales were fairly weak for a 360 exclusive however aggresive bundling – which means effectively giving away the game – got it to a respectable number.

This speaks more to MS use of bundles to try and grow IP (which is fine) than some hidden appeal of Alan Wake.

BTW I actually really liked it but to ignore how much lower its sales would be without bundles would be wrong.

10. itsucks

lern to read, bundle sales were not counted to the 900K sales, but DIGITAL TANDALONE sales, contrary to all-around Reach sales who counts bundles sales. Alan Wake was one of the first recent released games to go digital in sales, and there was a vast ammount of people who bought it that way at a good price. Same shit as buying a game in Bomba sales from a retailer, if you ask me, so who the fuck cares.

You can even buy that POS Unshited 3 , a month from the release for 25$. Bomba. Low sales. grea anallogy.

11. strikkebil

not surprised, the game was awfull.

12. NiceFellow

@10 this is US where the bundles contained a voucher to download the title correct? Or am I thinking of another title? I was pretty sure there were reports of digital AW bundle sales.

13. polygem

game was good.i sold it after one playthrough though, just because i had too many other games to play at that time- so i didn´t play the dlc…will definitely play an aw sequel. for a start of a franchise the story was good enough, the gameplay was fun. i really enjoyed this game. i had higher expectations though, and i think many people had. does this make this game bad? in no way. they can really build up on the first game. if they are clever enough they can still make this a much bigger franchise.

14. Moonwalker1982

Homecoming better? Now there’s something i gotta disagree with. I didn’t find that game anything special, and Alan Wake from what i’ve played was really good and genuinely spooky in my opinion.

15. Phoenixblight

Homecoming had shown what it was, a horror game, where Alan Wake was an action game. No matter how much you dice it that’s what it was. You could practically tell when there was going to be a boss battle, when there was a giant box of bullets and batteries. The story was taken straight out of a Goosebumps book. Like I said I enjoyed the lighting, environment detail, and level design besides the whole box full of goodies in boss battles.

The Homecoming comment I was talking about its story even with it being convoluted. Removing the Silent Hill part on the title, I started to enjoy it. Alan Wake, I just couldn’t because I could foresee what was going to happen.

16. YoungZer0

Impressive considering the game pretty much failed at anything it tried. Bad Story. No Horror. Not one interesting character. Repetitive gameplay. Horrible Mo-Cap.

17. itsucks

@fatzero: agreed, Heavy Rain pretty much failed at anything it tried. Bad Story. No Gameplay. QTE Spamfest. Not one interesting character. Repetitive gameplay. Horrible uncanny valley and fishmouths.

Red herrings… BHWWUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Such a phony that david cage.

18. Henry

The game (Games on Demand download code) was once included in a console bundle for a long time (a few months). That should have helped the sales somehow.