Report – Guerrilla making “Killzone follow-up”

Friday, 18th November 2011 14:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Guerrilla is working on its fifth iteration in the Killzone series, the latest issue of Edge is reporting.

It isn’t merely called Killzone 4 – yet – but rather as a ‘Killzone follow-up.’

The magazine says (via Gamerzines) the “bulk of Guerrilla’s staff (is soldiering) on with the next Killzone instalment.”

Steven Ter Heide, senior producer on Killzone 3, is game director, supposedly.

Guerrilla studio recruiter Adrian Smith is quoted in the mag as saying that “we’ve got to continue the Killzone franchise.”

No platforms are mentioned, but Edge reported online earlier this week that one studio within SCE’s Worldwide Studios had stopped PS3 work to begin on a PS4 project. It’s possible that Guerrilla could be that developer.

Sony and Guerrilla released Killzone 3 for PS3 back in February this year, but the studio’s also been working on a new IP as well.

The new property is being directed by Killzone 2 and 3 director Mathijs De Jonge, according to the mag (via CVG).

The only other title announced to date in the shooter series is its Vita iteration, being done by Studio Cambridge.

1. Erthazus

It never ends this shit (c)

I thought they are making new IP. Killzone is just… so meh. Especially the latest title. Almost at the level of Call Of Duty with just better squad-based multiplayer.

2. Razor

Yuck.

It’s so sad to see, because Guerrilla have some incredible technology, but instead Sony have them use it on this… thing of a franchise.

What a waste of such great technology.

3. rrw

@1 the article say they also make new IP

4. ninjanutta

Killzone are great games,far better than cod.Id love to see what they can do with more power.
    Killzone in full hd@60fps will eat all other fps games alive,on and offline..imo.

5. Quiiick

I loved “Killzone 1″ despite the fact that it got terrible review scores.

“Killzone 2″ was all about the trailer-hype and they managed to fulfill the expectations. It had a decent SP-campain and a very entertaining MP with great map-designs.

“Killzone 3″ was very boring, like all those blockbuster action movies that come out of Hollywood nowadays.

I hope “Killzone 4″ will be more quite again (like the first game) and manages to tell a compelling story.

6. YoungZer0

Dunno why, but while KZ3 managed to do everything right it wasn’t as much fun as KZ2. Second qhat Quiiick said. Hope it’s less Hollywood and quieter. Games in General need to become quieter. It has gotten to loud.

7. Se_7_eN

Killzone and Guerilla games are awesome! Can’t wait to see what comes from the two next!

8. reask

I preferred 3 to 2.
    Loved the mp.

9. Cygnar

I’ve enjoyed the Killzone games, especially 2. While 3 had better mechanics, it had a different feel to it than its predecessor, and I think 2 was the more compelling game in terms of atmosphere, music, and tension.

What I’d like to see from Guerrilla next game is better leverage of the universe the story is set in. There is quite a bit of history behind the Helghast and the ISA, but it’s gotten lost in the games. It’s a dilemma because from mission to mission, Killzone tells a much more believable story than, say, any CoD game in recent memory. Sev and Rico tackle more realistic goals than Modern Warfare’s Soap and Price. Unlike Task Force 141, Killzone’s characters’ job isn’t to do literally whatever the hell they feel like, at whatever time and place they want. Further, it really doesn’t make all that much sense for Killzone’s grunts to concern themselves with the politics of their war like CoD characters so often do. The result is, I feel, a more realistic story than we get in some of the more popular FPS games, but one that doesn’t necessarily do everything possible to drive the lore forward. There is also the issue of campaign length, which I really hope Guerrilla addresses given the amount of time between now and a likely release date.

With all their technical talent and skill, I’m definitely rooting for Guerrilla. If they are in fact making a Killzone title for the PS4, they have more than enough time to make it the best in the series. I can’t wait to hear more.

10. Quiiick

@#6 YoungZer0

Quote: “Games in general need to become quieter. It has gotten to loud.”

I couldn’t agree more.

11. Quiiick

@#9 Cygnar

Quote: “What I’d like to see from Guerrilla next game is better leverage of the universe the story is set in. There is quite a bit of history behind the Helghast and the ISA, but it’s gotten lost in the games.”

So many good comments in this thread!
    I really hope Guerrilla is reading along these lines.

12. typeface

Isn’t GG technically two internal studios? So it wouldn’t be surprising if they had enough resources to make the next game and a new ip.

Just utilise the vast expansive story world better now that the current characters are no longer useful.

13. azmza

They should released it for PC too both Ps3 and Pc servers will be great like DC Universe!.

14. Maximum Payne

@13 That would be too good ^_^

15. TD_Monstrous69

@13 Not a bad idea. It already looks and plays great on the PS3, could only imgaine what it’d be like on PC. KillZone 3 was a great game, but it lacked that real feeling of atmosphere KillZone 2 had throughout the game, the feeling was more intermitent in 3 (had it more in some areas more than others). It also lacked a little personality on the ISA side of things. I mean the personality the Helghan leaders exuted (from looks to actions) was somewhat refreshing from other shooter villains. And what was fighting them? The same generic, cut-and-paste, gung ho heroes you’d see in other games (though Sev and Rico were likeable characters, they lakced depth, and just seemed kinda played out). Though I can’t wait to hear about the next KillZone game. I just hope they fix these issues with the next game. Look forward to playing it whether it’s coming this current-gen for the PS3, or next-gen with the next Playstation.

16. lexph3re

love the killzone series Kz3 left to big a cliffhanger. Have to see how they take this I like the growth they gave rico and narville Sevs still a little dumb to me but not a terrible character. I for one am game for a killzone 4

17. Big_Boss

PS4? delicious

18. theprodejeff

I have to agree with what most people are writing, KZ3 is a great game and it did a lot of things very good but I do like KZ2 over KZ3.

19. voguevoguevogue

cheapedhardy2。tk
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30