Rainbow Six: Patriots announced for 2013 launch

Thursday, 3rd November 2011 17:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Ubisoft’s announced Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Patriots following much pre-announce speculation on the game, confirming a 2013 release on PS3, 360 and PC.

The game, mainly made by Ubisoft Montreal with collaborations between Ubisoft Toronto and Ubisoft Red Storm, will see a “dynamic single-player storyline” that will be told from multiple characters.

R6: Patriots wil pull the series, which has sold 25 million units LTD, in “an exciting new narrative direction,” according to Ubi creative director David Sears. “This adds an unprecedented level of humanity that will make Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6 Patriots an extremely tense and immersive experience.”

Team Rainbow’s threat are a group of terrorists known as the ‘True Patriots,’ who claim the American government has been compromised by corrupt politicians and corporate interests.

As Rainbow, you’ll need to make “tough ethical decisions” in order to stop them, confirming previous rumours of making morality choices.

Patriots will also include “innovative” co-op and multiplayer segments. While it isn’t mentioned in the press release, the game will also support Kinect in some form, following the announcement back in June at E3 that all future Tom Clancy titles would support the motion controller.

A shot of the PC placeholder packshot is posted below. It looks the same for PS3 and Xbox 360.

The game is also on the cover of the next Game Informer. Shots of that cover are below, and you can look at prototype footage of the game through here.

1. viralshag

O M G !

Good news indeed!

2. Edo

Good to hear,sounds interesting.Just saw the prototype of the gameplay(or whatever they called it)and if the final product ends up looking anything like that then It might just end up being something really special!

3. G1GAHURTZ

A bit silly to announce this game now if it’s due out in 2013.

4. DSB

Ubisoft are more than a bit silly, though.

5. Edo

#3 The leaked gameplay footage kind of forced them to do so.

6. Erthazus

If it is as casual as previous 2 titles, than go away. I don’t need you.

Ahh, it’s for PS3 and 360 also. Then i’m out. I don’t see them doing something decent here. Maybe, just maybe interesting plot… a lot of explosions, explosions, explosions, hints, DLC, Regeneration, simplified difficulty and … corridors with lots of cut scenes…

7. triggerhappy

@ Erth: Have you some inner knowledge of this game that us mere mortals are not privy too?? Infact when a developer announces a new game do they phone Ethazus up and say “Right pal, we’ve got a new game coming out but its going to be shit so you can start slating it on the net because y’know we dumb everything down these days for console users.”

BTW im primarily a PC gamer… so don’t start. Oh wait, you already have.

8. G1GAHURTZ

ZING!

9. Erthazus

@7, i have knowledge of previous 2 games and i don’t say something like: OMG it’s shit.

I said if it is anything like two previous games i’m out. Games this generation from Ubisoft on Tom Clancy series are not the best in my opinion.
    Conviction was mediocre console crap and etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W1ZtBCpo0eU i don’t want this call Of booty style of gameplay for my Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six. Thats what i don’t want and i hope so that i’m wrong.

10. DaMan

^Splinter Cell originated on a console, dimwit.

11. Erthazus

@10, and on the PC, retard.
    I’m saying for the current gen games based on the Tom Clancy series. So fuck off. I don’t like them.

12. IL DUCE

@3 as silly as THQ doing the same for inSane (which isn’t due out til 2013) almost a year ago @ the 2010 VGAs? And at least this game has assets, all inSane had was a stupid 20 second teaser…

13. DaMan

^As I said beforehand, if I were a retard you wouldn’t exist.

No, it was ported to PC, as well as PS2 later on. It’s an Xbox game from the very beginning. You make no sense.

14. Noodlemanny

I though the Rainbow Six Vegas games were the best, it was a new(ish) approach to the realistic game play that so many games had (kinda) gone for, it may not have been the most tactical of the Rainbows but it was far from easy or totally devoid of strategy. I don’t know if Rainbow started that whole realistic tactical RTS esque shooter genre but by the time Rain left it it was feeling a little crowded, or at least for me.

15. DSB

It’s hardly outrageous to think that it’s gonna be a generic action game. Over the course of going casual across the board, Ubisoft lost most of the original Red Storm team. It’s just an empty studio label these days.

@14 I definitely didn’t feel that way. I think one of the earliest was probably Seal Team by EA (I think it was called EA’s Seal Team, actually).

I loved all those games, and I think it’s pretty sad that the closest I’m left with to that is stuff like really niche tank or combat air simulations.

The Vegas games weren’t awful as such, but they really weren’t complex, and they certainly didn’t live up to the name. They required a bit of shooting and the understanding that if you get an enemy on the flank, you’re better off than taking him on head-on. It was basic stuff imo.

I’d love a hardcore tactical shooter with some production values personally, and I think more people would than publishers might think. The problem is that truly tactical games take exceptional AI and a lot of attention to detail. Nobody’s willing to pay for that today.

16. fupoisme

17. Maximum Payne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE7Sr3rgGS8 – not actual gameplay footage :(
    At 1:57 Adam Jensen ! :D

18. Edo

#17 Yep,that’s definitely him!

19. YoungZer0

@17: Yeah, but if that’s what they are going for, then count me in. Only a few games touch on such a gray area.