Diablo III Collector’s Edition announced, full game free for WoW subs

Friday, 21st October 2011 19:23 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Blizzard’s announced the collector’s edition of Diablo III at the opening ceremony of Blizzcon tonight.

It’ll contain:

• The Art of Diablo III
  • Collector’s Edition Soundtrack
  • Two-Disc Behind the Scenes DVD/Blu-ray boxset
  • Diablo Skull and 4Gb USB Soulstone

In-game items include Aesthetic Artifects, a Fetish Sharman pet for World of Warcraft and StarCraft II Battle.Net portraits.

Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime also announced that subscribers of the also just-announced WoW Annual Pass will get the full game for free.

A cinematic scene from the campaign of Diablo III, called “The Black Soulstone,” was introduced by Blizzard’s Chris Metzen. As of yet, there’s been no date other than “it’ll be done when it’s done,” according to the VP.

1. Erthazus

it’s freakin amazing.

Free Diablo III lol.

2. Patrick Garratt

I think this is probably the biggest no-brainer in the history of no-brainers. Super-sold.

3. Phoenixblight

@1 and 2

Even though I am bored of WOW I am totally considering it at least for the Wife she can play WOW while I enjoy D3.

4. Ireland Michael

Title’s a bit misleading.

You get the game only if you get the WoW “Anual Pass” (whatever the hell that is), not just for having the average subscription.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you also only had access to the “free” version as long as you’re subscribed. If not, then Blizzard is being uncharacteristically generous.

@3 I think they’ll start having some issues if they see you logging into the same account for two different computers. =P

5. Erthazus

@3, “You also get a ingame pet for WOW, gauranteed Beta access to the new expansion and D3.”

Seriously. That’s a fantastic support.

6. Erthazus

you get free DIABLO III if you played WOW for 12 months.

thats how it works.

7. Ireland Michael

@6 I doubt that. Based on the way it’s written, the “Annual Pass” is something specific you have to pay for. A flat 12 month subscription option, possibly with some other bonuses.

8. Ireland Michael

Hey Pat, where’d you get the picture for the Collector’s Edition? Trying to track one down myself.

9. Phoenixblight

Wrong.

Not really. We play and work at two different schedules if anything they will see my account plays for the better part of 7 to 8 hours a day between two different games.

10. Erthazus

@Phoenix, “Q: What is a WoW Annual Pass?
    A: The WoW Annual Pass is a twelve month World of Warcraft subscription which can be paid for in monthly installments.”

See?
    you need 12 months.

11. Phoenixblight

Yeah you are agreeing to be billed for 12 months. THats why its called an annual pass.

12. Ireland Michael

@10 Yeah, but the way you phrased it makes it sound like you get it if already been subscribed for 12 months. You don’t.

This “Annual Pass” means that you have to put down a subscription payment of 12 months, starting now, if you want your “free game”. That means that, even if you get bored of WoW six months down the line and want to stop playing, you still have to keep your subscription going.

Blizzard are really desperate to stop hemorrhaging subscribers from their game right now, aren’t they?

13. OrbitMonkey

Why agree to pay for 12 months of self reverential fantasy bollocks, for a over hyped, nostalgic fap-fest, when you can get Dragon Age 2 for £20? And they say CoD players are braindead o_O

14. Phoenixblight

How in the hell does DA2 = Diablo 3? Explain that logic they are two completely different games with two different demographic’s in mind.

15. Ireland Michael

@14 I’m pretty sure that he’s referring to World of Warcraft Phoenix, not Diablo.

And he’s pretty much on the mark. WoW’s lore is a horrible, disjointed and juvenile mess.

16. Phoenixblight

I couldn’t agree more but I bought it. The wife has been wanting to play WOW so now we get something that benefits us both.

17. blackdreamhunk

I don’t like the skull they should do something different. Just wondering when does the game go on sale for the ce. I am on the fence about getting it. I have sooo many games already!!

18. Stephany Nunneley

The skull is one of the most awesome parts!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Gekidami

You gotta laugh at the usual hypocrites who think this is the bees-knees, yet say the likes of CoD Prestige Editions are tat and rip offs.

20. Sini

bleh read it wrong

21. osric90

I want this for PS3.

22. OlderGamer

How could anyone be on the fence about buying Diablo III. Its Diablo. Even it is is half of the game that Diablo II was it would be an instant buy. Even I am all in, head first infact. Its the kind of game that one should(if they can) consider buying a new rig if their old ones can’t handle it. Then again there is the whole console thing for non PC players too.

But yea, like Pat said, Super-Sold.

23. Ireland Michael

@22 Because Torchlight 2 looks far more interesting, for one.

24. OlderGamer

I am gonna grab em both. But action RPGs like these are prolly my fav types of games. From Titan Quest Imortal Throne to Dungeon Hunter, I have a hard time getting enough of em really.

25. OlderGamer

Thinking of Dungeon Hunter: Alliance(PS3), Mike, if ya wanted to play a few levels, my wife and play quite a bit, we’d be happy to jump into a game with ya. Its a very well done game, the demo starts a bit slow, but the game is fantastic, imo. One of the best parts is the co-op same system and online at the same time. So wife and I can host a game with ya online, more games should do that.

26. KingCharMing

Err… I dont know if anyone read the disclaimer but you need to have purchased it on or before the 18th of October… 4 days ago…

27. KingCharMing

“it” being WoW

28. Phoenixblight

You just need to have WOW registered on Battle.net prior to that date. I bought the pass yesterday and I will get D3 and all the other stuff.

29. Hybridpsycho