Modders release fixes for Dead Island on Steam

Tuesday, 13th September 2011 17:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Modders have started releasing fixes and tweaks to Dead Island on PC. The list is rather large, but among some of the fixed listed on the Steam forum are: change field of view, the ability to disable motion blur, weapons blur, bloom, dust, and desaturate, and many other modifications and the ability to vsync which will help screen tearing issues. There’s also a few fun mods available as well. The PC Version of Dead Island, which was released last week, as seen issues with the PC version, most notably, the developers’ code being accidentally released on Steam instead of the retail version. Techland released a patch for the game, but players still reported bugs and problems with the multiplayer servers. Thanks, Kotaku.

1. deathgaze

I am consistently floored that the game was released in this state. When your community can patch a game faster than you can, your game clearly has problems. Not just your game, for that matter, but your company. Something is seriously wrong with Deep Silver if they think this is how things are done.

2. freedoms_stain

@1, no one has patched anything, they’e worked out how to alter some config files.

3. Giskard

Not had a problem with it as of yet. And I’m 70% through the main story.

4. Phoenixblight

Be very thankful. My friends and I have had issue with the game not saving at all. I personally have lost 6 hours of gameplay from this bug.

Even more so Techland/Deepsilver haven’t fixed anything all they have done is release a patch that tweaks some of the game nothing is actual fixed. The bug I have experienced is not something you just ignore and say “Hey we will fix it eventually….maybe”

This game is an example of what not to do with releasing.

5. revolting

This is more than slightly sensationalist jumping on the completely over the top “LOL Dead Island released broken” bandwagon. With the exception of a couple of things like the v-sync one and the FSAA for nvidia cards thing, the vast majority of the things listed there are not actually fixes addressing real problems, they’re just effects tweaks by people who like to tinker, no different to any other modding community for any other PC game. Turning effects like bloom or dust on or off are not fixes.

I’m playing the PC version of the game, and I’m loving it. While there are definitely some odd moments and questionable occurances, both intentional and unintentional, it’s certainly no more in need of the implied urgent community fixing where developers fail than most other games I’ve played. It’s pretty much the most fun I’ve had in co-op for a long, long time, as it happens. I’m pleasantly surprised and then some by this one, it’s way more enjoyable than I expected it to be.

6. Phoenixblight

Really losing game saves is not something urgent? SHould look at the technical forums its not exactly a bunch of people whining for the sake of whining, there are clearly issues. And while I can easily ignore lighting issues, texture pop up which is far worse than any Unreal game I have ever seen, I cannot forgive allowing a bug that loses hours of gameplay and even corrupting your profile save. THat is not something you just say “Hey we will fix at a much later date”

Sorry just really annoyed by this bug. I did love the game until I received such bug.

7. Talkar

I’ve only encountered one bug. When i play coop my game crashes every 5-7 minutes. But it is only with a specific friend.

My saves have never been corrupted, not even after patch (number 2 i think was corrupting a lot of saves), so i see myself as being lucky ^^

8. revolting

@6 I’m not denying that losing save data is not annoying. Of course it is, but that isn’t one of the supposed issues solved by the Steam community. What I’m saying is that the list of supposed community “fixes” linked to here is not the saviour it’s made out to be.

Incidentally, are your no-save issues related to co-op gameplay? Only the host’s progress is saved, not the assistants, which means for planned coop games all the way through, the same person needs to be host every time, or progress will be lost. It took my group a little while to get used to that, but once we had it sussed, it’s been a blast.

9. Phoenixblight

My saves were lost playing in Single Player Mode I have yet to play in co op mode. Once I just disconnected myself from the internet the issue resolved itself. Not exactly sure how me being connected to the internet and saving are connected unless the game is going to a server to tell my game to save it makes no sense.

10. revolting

@9 Bummer. Sorry to hear that, that would indeed be frustrating. Could be something to do with Steam rather than the game itself maybe? It uses Steam Cloud to store and synchronise your saves.

11. Phoenixblight

I am on the console and this bug is set across all platform so its clearly an algorithm issue. How the game is supposed to save is not exactly doing what its supposed to.

12. The_Deleted

I’m on the PS3 and losing saves all over the shop. Pissing me off. Same kind of thing killed Fallout NV for me. One bug or crash and it’s all for nothing. Can’t just relax with the game and enjoy.

Thank got for that awesome tune, eh?

13. silkvg247

Can anyone tell me if the game has basic PC essentials such as config keys, graphics etc.

I recently demanded (and got) a full refund on the transformers game on the PC because the developers hard coded key configs. You can view but not change them, nor can you fix in a config file. Great when you are an RDFG’er and not a WASD’er.

Then there was Alice Madness returns, whcih I’ve actually had to stop playing because of a game breaking bug involving an umberella not working if you dared to change your key config at any point. Not to mention the absolutely absurd issue of it being capped at 30fps, and actually having to modify fields in a file to fix this.

Needless to say I am now super cautious on PC purchases, and growing ever more irksome about sloppy ports or poor design choices that are blatantly not made by anyone who has ever touched a PC.