SWTOR beta canceled this weekend, larger beta events planned for future

Thursday, 8th September 2011 14:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

If you were planning on playing around in the SWTOR beta this weekend, you should probably make alternate plans, like playing another game or participating in underwater sock darning. Whatever it is you crazy kids do these days.

According to community manager Stephen Reid, the weekend events which started last week have been canceled for the time being, and he cannot guarantee “further beta testing weekends during September.”

“The weekend that just finished was really our first dry run of beta testing weekends as a whole, and we have plenty of data to crunch, and decisions to make before we start things up again,” he said on the official forums. Further to that, we are about to roll out a major new build for The Old Republic. That build won’t be ready for this weekend. Just as we did not feel it was a good decision to ask potential EU testers to download our client only to have to download it again, the same applies for this weekend.”

However. once the larger build is rolled out, it doesn’t mean the beta testing will start back up immediately, as the firm needs to get feedback from internal testing and its “ongoing Game Testing program before rolling it out to a massive audience.”

“That process takes a while, and that time varies depending on how testing goes,” said Reid. “We rolled out this previous weekend as a relatively small scale event; from now we will do bigger and bigger events, but that doesn’t mean it happens every weekend. When we do resume, we’ll be inviting many more people in.”

Reid closed his post with the news that Bioware has prepared a “comprehensive FAQ regarding Game Testing Weekends as a whole,” along with some details about the weekend that just happened.

You can read the FAQ through here.

EA said yesterday that it is tentatively planning to announce a release date for SWTOR next month.

1. viralshag

Stop beating about the bush and just tell us that this game isn’t likely to come out before 2012.

I also bet by the time it finally does get released the whole early access pre-order bonus won’t apply simply because that seems like the kinda thing that will happen.

2. The_Red

I can’t stop feeling that this game is gonna be one of the biggest gaming misfires of all time. After so many delays, empty CG trailers, WoW comparisons, strategy changes and beta mishaps, this game needs a miracle to succeed IMO.

3. viralshag

@2, I really don’t want to agree with you but the pessimistic side of me that I usually supress on this site when it comes to this game is starting to come through more and more with each news story.

There is a huge part of me that thinks this will simply just be another MMO that comes along, has some mild success, and then sails off into the forgotten distance. The other part of me is still wanting to make love to this game the only way a SW nerd gamer can…

4. Ireland Michael

What exactly are these negatives you’ve been talking about? I’m curious.

5. viralshag

This weekends cancelled beta event, a launch being modelled around another launch which wasn’t really anything to set standards by, EU beta testing delayed (previous to today’s announcement) and possible 18-24 month updates.

As opposed to the only good news lately being that the beta weekends were starting, which is no longer happening. That to me was mainly good news because it seemed like we were finally edging closer to a release date.

“I kind of feel like they have run out of anything good to say about the game and the balance of positive vs. negative news is strongly in favour of the latter lately.”

I probably could have worded this a little better. Really what I was trying to say was that I feel like we have heard everything there is to hear that’s good about the game and I personally feel like we’re just in for a few disappointing updates from now on.

As I said in the last article, the game can’t surely be that far from finished and it just worries me that they still don’t seem ready for regular public/private/invited betas. Especially after having launched one weekend of it. It just makes me think that their pre-launch is not as scheduled as they make out and the reality of a set release date is further than they want us to know.

6. GrimRita

Reading between the lines, after the recent beta in the US, the game is a mess and is no where near ready.

Expectations are high, and rightly so but it really has been a rocky road for SWTWoW – 4-5 years in development and for what? Just to almost copy a 7 year old game?!

I will be stunned if this thing limps out in 2011.

7. Yoshi

I don’t see why any one needs to get worried. Back in the ol’ days of WoW an MMO could be flushed out with months of fixes etc and people would just flow up it but now we expect a lot more straight from launch so I give them props for taking their time… as long as they can afford to obviously.

8. viralshag

Grim has put what I was trying to say a lot shorter and better than how I put it.

9. Phoenixblight

From what I have played I am honestly impressed and with some things it is an easy fix but overall I can’t wait to pick up and play with my friends with a character I want to play as.

And Like Yoshi says they should take their time. MMOs aren’t like regular games you HAVE to have a smooth launch otherwise the game never gets above water.

“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.” ~ Miyamoto

10. Ireland Michael

@5 *headdesk* I meant about the quality of the game itself…

11. viralshag

@10, Oh well I don’t really have any issues with the actual quality of the game from what I have seen. I’m a fan of the art style they have chosen and I’m not really against what seems to be considered as “old school” MMO gameplay elements.

Hook me up with some levelling and an action bar and I’m pretty much good.

12. Stephany Nunneley

Beta/Game Testing Weekends FAQ link is in there now.

13. IL DUCE

Starting to sound like Bioware bit off more than they could chew with this one…

14. Phoenixblight

Nope not really. They have mentioned that they are willing to push it to Q1 2012 in fact they just hired 500 IT out here in AUstin to ramp up the game just within the the last 2 weeks.

15. orakaa

@ Grimrita : EXACTLY
    During the beta in july, I was quite surprised that so much effort went into the story, background… but almost everything seems to have been forgotten, mainly gameplay mechanics who feel really dated and uninspired