Tue, Aug 23, 2011 | 08:10 BST
AU News Wrap, August 23 – What happened today
Today was an exciting delight from start to finish.
RAGE against the machine: Tim Willits on id’s latest
Nathan chats to the id Software bigwig; this is a must-read.
The Great 2011 VG247 Reader Survey – do it now
Help us out by filling this in. Don’t forget to indicate how much you like the AU News Wrap!
It is quite difficult to work at my place at the moment, because my partner’s gone away for a few weeks and the cat is not reacting well. He is used to having near-constant attention as he flits between our home offices, and one owner is simply not enough for him. Little bugger tried to blow up my new PC last night, I swear.
Speaking of, that’s going quite well – but I have to get to the hardware store and buy some tin snips or, like, an angle grinder or something, because the card slots aren’t designed for modern hardware. Hooray home modding!
Pat will be along in a minute to summarise the most important points from the last 24 hours; in the meantime, check out Johnny’s European wrap if you need to dig deeper into the past.
Here’s your headlines. The first handful came in from Deb overnight; what a champ.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution reviews go live – all the scores
Unsurprisingly, it’s scoring very highly.
- New Awesomenauts trailer released
Keen on this. Swords & Soldiers was really underrated.
- Sony: Players will have “dangerous kinds of interactivity” in ten years time
Another report on what Yoshida said about the future of gaming – you’ll not we pulled some info from Eurogamer’s summary last week.
- Square Enix going to announce Portal co-creator’s next at PAX Prime
Imagine you invented Portal, and a publisher’s like, “We want you to make another amazing clever narrative driven game that will be loved by everyone ever.” Pressure much?
- Analysts dismiss concerns of PS3 price cut impact on Vita sales
Everybody buy everything forever.
- Dark Souls trailer rocks out to The Silent Comedy
I listened to this, and it finally tipped me over into buying the album.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution platform load times compared
Must get new PC working by Friday night.
- Batman: Arkham City bonus Robin skins revealed
I asked my dad whether Batman or Superman would win a fight, and his reply drove a wedge between us – forever.
- Dragon’s Dogma all action in direct feed gameplay footage
This looks the exact opposite of Dark Souls on the action RPG spectrum. I want them both.
- RAGE PS3 requires 8GB install
About ten minutes after I bought my 40GB PS3, I put a 250 GB HDD in it. It’s nearly full.
- Serious Sam Double D launch trailer is bananas
I actually write this headline before I found the picture with bananas in it. Psychic?
- From Dust PC DRM to be removed by patch
Hopefully they’ll fix a few of the other little problems, too.
- Rumour – Twin-stick 3DS hardware revision inbound
Salt, obviously, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
- 75 percent of Xperia Play owners buy games
Amazingly – get this – if you buy a device dedicated to playing games, you are quite likely to buy games for it.
- Ex-Bullfrog dev’s landscaping game is gorgeous
So much want.
- Lack of fan demand saw Silent Hill 4 left out of HD Collection
I don’t want to even think about playing Silent Hill again, ever.
- Jurassic Park: The Game due November 15
Dinosaurs – the best or the very best? Discuss.
- Saints Row: Money Shot outed by AU classification
It would be more shocking if THQ hadn’t made this.
- Gunstringer gamescom trailer is pistol poppin’ fun
I couldn’t resist the pun in the strapline, because there’s only so many ways to say “look at a trailer”.
- Free CryEngine 3 SDK downloaded over 100,000 times
Hey, maybe I should make a ga- *slaps self*.
- DmC’s Dante is “more of a street brawler” than his older self
Rejected headline: Dante “doesn’t give a fuck”.
- Codemasters recruits Freddie Wong for Bodycount trailer
Is the world ready for a shooter that doesn’t take itself too seriously, or are we too hung up on the srs bsns of gaming?
- Penny Arcade announces Decide-o-tron 8000
Like my phone doesn’t boss me around enough.
- Tuesday Shorts – Deus Ex clothes, Driver PSN, Portal 2 proposal
Lots of small things which people are inexplicably excited about.
- Ubisoft picks up Shoot Many Robots
“Learn nothing,” is the tagline. Sounds good to me!
Today’s header image is from a series of digital painting I found on this blog. I like how much they seem like aged oil paintings.