Criterion hirings hint at new racer, possibly next-gen

Friday, 5th August 2011 01:15 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Need for Speed and Burnout developer Criterion Games is apparently working on an open world racer for “new platforms”.

Criterion is currently seeking a new lead software engineer and AI programmer.

Both job advertisements make mention of the chance to develop “world class games, on cutting edge hardware”, and the lead software engineer job description asks the successful applicant “to help create a new extension to the existing Criterion team focusing on developing on new platforms”. It looks like Criterion is keen to jump on board Vita and the 3DS – or perhaps prepare for an upcoming hardware generation.

More specifically, in its call for an AI programmer, Criterion nominates a current project as requiring “believable, open world AI Racing Drivers”.

If you assume the two new hires are related, you could probably justify some speculation on a new Burnout game for the next hardware cycle.

Criterion’s most recent game is the console network title Burnout Crash. Its most recent core entry in the open-world racing series was 2008′s Burnout Paradise.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. onlineatron

OHJUSTGIVEUSANEWBURNOUTPROPEROKAY!!!!

2. chriswhaaat

Better yet give us a new BLACK

3. LOLshock94

i swear to god if this is anything like burnout paradise then citerion can suck there own dicks this gen they have done nothing but make shit

4. Lounds

How about Burnout 3 HD 1080p with 100x more polys, lighting and explosions. YESSS PLEASE. that would make me happy, Burnout legends was great too, you know why? cause it was burnout 3 remake.

paradise is shit. Period

5. G1GAHURTZ

How about a Burnout with some licenced cars?

6. Lounds

@5 it will never happen, it’s cheaper for Criterion to make up there own cars, plus it ain’t true to the burnout series having real cars, thats what Need for Speed is for right?

7. StolenGlory

That’s exactly what NFS is for and whilst we’re on the subject, couldn’t Criterion simply be staffing these positions because it’s their turn next year on the Need For Speed development duty merry-go-round?

8. Lounds

Man I hate EA, they killed NFS series by milking it, Burnout series isn’t milked, I felt like it was left in the dark, I want a Arcade racer, not some open world shit, I just didn’t like it, I had to look at the mini map or map all time in the race, all I want to do is concertrate on the road. Hell revenge was better than paradise and thats saying something.

9. Blerk

I’d very much like a new Burnout. With a proper Crash Mode. Thanks.

10. Fin

Dunno if you can kill a series that wasn’t any good to start with – the only NFS I enjoyed were II and III.
    And Criterion’s Hot Pursuit, that was unreal.

11. Lounds

i remember number 3 :)
    was a good game.

I played Hot pursuit, but I didn’t like it, because I was expecting it to play like burnout.

12. StolenGlory

Yeah, i’m pretty much of the belief that Burnout: Revenge pretty much destroyed Paradise in the enjoyment stakes for the reasons outlined by Lounds @8.