Bondi’s McNamara: Rockstar “looking at” MotionScan for upcoming games

Thursday, 21st July 2011 15:18 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Boom. Team Bondi boss Brendan McNamara has claimed that Rockstar is currently looking at LA Noire’s famous facial technology MotionScan for its future batch of titles, including Grand Theft Auto V.

“Yeah, I think they’re looking at it for every game,” he told PSM3 (via CVG) when asked if it was being considered for the next GTA.

“As much as LA Noire is a huge game, Grand Theft Auto is incredibly huge, so you’ve got all the problems of how big the cast would be and how many lines would you have to record and all that kind of stuff.

“Obviously we’d like them to, and they’re more than welcome to use MotionScan, but if they decide it’s not right for that and want to use it for another game, then that’s fine too.”

He continued: “Rockstar will make those decisions. They generally make the right decisions in terms of what they do for their games.”

It was rumoured earlier this month that GTA V would finally make its grand debut at gamescom. We’re going to bet a great deal that’s not going to happen, though.

Other upcoming titles from Rockstar include Max Payne 3 at Rockstar Vancouver and PS3 exclusive Agent from Rockstar North in Edinburgh.

1. bobiroka

I think Rockstar might announce a new GTA game, but the next one won’t be a straight sequel. They’ll save that for the next gen of consoles. This one will be a Vice City/San Andreas type deal, with the same engine…

2. Noodlemanny

It’s just not necessary in most games. The amount of time, effort and money rockstar would have to invest into putting MotionScan into GTAV, or another game like say red dead, would just be a waste of time. I’d prefer it to just be released sooner. :-P

EDIT… Well I guess it could look quite cool in Max Payne 3. Maybe that’s why its come out so much later than they originally said.

@1 yeah probably, but I’m down with that. I’ve literally play hundreds of hours on gta4 just pissing around by myself and with friends on-line. So any kind of update with more stuff to blow up is more than welcome. BRING ON THE JETS.

3. tenthousandgothsonacid

The trouble with having spent 30 hours of my life finishing LA Noire and all the DLC is that it looks normal to me now and all other games characters look rubbish in comparison.

That’s the price of progress I guess…

4. Kuwabara

i dnt want to feel like im watching a movie, with facial textures being stretched out sometimes. I hope they do their own animations. Nothing wrong with gta4.

5. Suikoden Fan

GTA San Andreas Stories

6. YoungZer0

That would be the worst thing to happen to the game. I love the look of the characters. As far as i know MotionScan picks up the face of the actors, so goodbye unique looking characters. Hello mediocre actors.

I also love the way Doucheball talks, like he invented the technology.

7. JRNO

Fine, as long as they use RAGE. L.A. Noire’s engine wasn’t nearly as impressive as that of RDR and GTA IV

8. klewd

#6
    So actors are incapable of being unique looking? What you’re saying doesn’t make any sense. Are we making Lord of the Rings here?

9. osric90

I’m happy good acting and videogames are blending together, this will help when talking about videogames being a complete art. I’m happy MotionScan was invented and I really hope to see that in AAA games. I can’t imagine how good it will be. Not excited about GTA (I hate GTA franchise, got so damn tired of it years ago) but L.A. Noire was so exquisite. Max Payne 3 using this would be amazing, damn amazing… but hopefully they’ll decide to release an HD collection too with trophies, 1080p and shit!

10. Gama_888

I dont think its worth the effort. In a game like LA noire it suits it because it helps you with reading the characters and watnot but for other games it just isn’t.
    And when you consider L.a noire was allready on 3 disks for xbox using this for GTA5 would make it fucking huge.

Maybe someday those types of graphics will be able to be computer generated. :)