Relic: Customisation, building armies to be “a big part” in Dawn of War 3

Wednesday, 13th July 2011 10:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Relic’s said that key features from the second game, such as customisation and building armies, will be a key part of the still TBA Dawn of War 3.

“Looking at what we had real success with with Dawn of War II – Retribution, with the DLC, and with customisation and building their armies and collecting being a big part of what 40k fans really love, we want to make that a big part of DOW3,” Relic marketing manager James McDermott told Eurogamer.

“There’s going to be lots of opportunities to expand and build your own custom mega army. That’s definitely an area we want to invest in. We see a good opportunity.”

DoW3′s yet to be formally announced by THQ – although core boss Danny Bilson did say at E3 that work was underway on a next-gen DoW game – but Relic does have an announcement next month that’s most likely due at gamescom. This is probably going to be it.

1. Grimrita

PLEASE for the love of god, bring back base building. I dont want a CoH clone in a Warhammer frock! DoW 1 was amaazing, DoW2 was average, so lets go back to its roots.

2. viralshag

I didn’t mind the changes tbh, I really enjoyed one and two. I think it’s good for a company to mix it up a bit in order to stay fresh. I hope to see elements from both games brought into the third.

40K is the best universe in the world. ;)

3. Maximum Payne

I want new ground breaking engine!

4. absolutezero

I’d love to see Relic move into a model of doing a wildly different follow up for each sequel. Like being the anti-Blizzard.

Imagine Dawn of War 3 being similar in scale to the battle scenes of Total War.

Imagine it.

5. Christopher Jack

I’m surprised by how quietly Kill Team slipped onto XBL, no reviews no anything, not even a wikipedia page, any ways, I’m downloading it right now.

6. Crab of Thunder

@5 Is it out? Lol i didn’t even know i may download that later.

Also maybe a nice blend of DoW1 and 2 plus a few new things would make a fantastic game, more units never hurts.

7. NeoSquall

@4 There’s already something like that, it’s called Epic: Armageddon.

8. DSB

@1 I would’ve been plenty satisfied if only it had resembled Company of Heroes.

I’m pretty sure that what they tried to do was some kind of singleplayer/multiplayer arena hybrid. It just ended up being mindnumbing.

9. Crab of Thunder

Bought kill team, I don’t care how crap it is, i’m just a WH40k addict >_>.

10. Christopher Jack

I absolutely love the original Dawn of war, Soulstorm is one of my most played games ever. I was incredibly disappointed by it’s sequel in comparison-still enjoyed it but they killed the traditional RTS formula that I loved so much about the original. I hope they do find a great balance between in-field tactics & strategic building orders.

11. Patrick Garratt

You have to be pumped for this. I loved one and two, to be honest. Sounds as though they’ve listened to the fans on moving away from a pure squad game this time. Can’t wait.

12. NeoSquall

@9 I don’t think it’s crap, but I’m still waiting for it on PSN.

Neverthless, welcome to the WH40K addict club.