Neverwinter Nights forum data and EA Account data compromised

Friday, 24th June 2011 19:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

According to various reports, it looks as though EA game forum users have been hacked, as the firm states data from BioWare’s old Neverwinter Nights forums has been compromised.

EA states that no credit card data was compromised or stores in this situation, and it is investigating the matter. So, whether you receive an email from the firm or not, you may which to change your stored information with sites associated with EA.

“The server system associated with the Neverwinter Nights forums was the target of a highly sophisticated and unlawful cyber attack,” Electronic Arts said. “We have moved swiftly to implement additional security controls to prevent this type of breach from happening again to secure your data and are conducting further evaluations now.”

“We immediately took appropriate steps to protect our consumers’ data and launched a thorough ongoing evaluation of the breach… information such as user names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, mailing addresses, names, phone numbers, CD keys and birth dates from these forum accounts on the system may have been compromised, as well as other information (if any) that you may have associated with your EA Account,” said Aaryn Flynn, Studio GM of BioWare Edmonton.

1. LOLshock94

dear god….

2. DSB

Isn’t this old news? Related posts would seem to suggest so.

I didn’t get an e-mail until today though.

3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 Did you see this part in the post? : None of the reports state whether or not the information gleaned by hackers came from last week’s attack on the Neverwinter forums or not.

It is everywhere today, and none of the reports I read even mentioned that bit – thus my note at the end.

4. DSB

My bad! Although surely they wouldn’t get hit two weeks in a row.

The e-mail that started all of this states that it’s purely precautionary. It’s also not optional whether you want to change your password or not, it’s reset by EA according to the e-mail I got.

5. Stephany Nunneley

@4 Exactly, which is why I cannot understand why this is everywhere today, even on Reuters. And none of the reports even mention last week’s incident which was all over the earth.

6. DSB

You know, it really isn’t very professional.

The accounts were compromised last week, but you wait until now to send out a notice like that? That has to confuse people.

What’s worse is that they don’t exactly go out of their way to ensure anybody that the thing is real. Really the only indication of it is in the root text of the e-mail, and the fact that the link it directs you to is fully legit.

Expecting people to recognize em.ea.com as legit, though? Fuck right off :P

7. Stephany Nunneley

You know, I have no clue WTH my account email or password is anyway. :p

8. NightCrawler1970

I have 3 accounts on EA, Need For Speed and The Sims 1 & 2, Fifa soccer….

Does that effect me???

9. DSB

@8 No sir, it really shouldn’t, but EA are saying they’d like people to change their passwords anyway.

I don’t have a Neverwinter Nights account, but I do have a Bioware one, so I did it just for the hell of it. Better safe than lulz.

10. NightCrawler1970

Than leave it, what else Lulz gonna hack?? can’t believe that prick is on Hack-marathon like “hack till ya drop”…

11. Phoenixblight

There is no CC info tied to it. Its on a completely different system. I received the email about it last night. So no real worries unless you rarely change your password for all your accounts.