Zelnick: “You will see future Duke IP” at Take Two, looking at Wii U support “seriously”

Tuesday, 21 June 2011 06:28 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Take Two president Strauss Zelnick has said in a Forbes interview that more Duke Nukem will be coming from the publisher in the future.

“We don’t really talk about it in detail but you will see future Duke IP coming from this company,” he said in the chat.

Zelnick got a little more vague after that, though.

“Part of it is the economic opportunities that interact with entertainment are so huge. Part of it is that we are very creative folks in control. Part of it is we don’t want to ever be in the position of dumping something down just to make another buck,” he added.

“If we can take some of our intellectual property and bring it to another medium in an extraordinary high quality way, that delights consumers and represents an interesting commercial opportunity for us, we will. We have certainly considered doing that with BioShock and with other titles. So far we haven’t brought anything to market, but stay tuned.”

Take Two had the publishing rights for Duke Nukem Forever, released nearly two weeks ago after 14 years in development, through 2K Games.

However, it does not own the IP. That honour belongs to Gearbox, who announced at PAX last year it had bought the rights to Duke from 3D Realms.

Further in the interview, Zelnick admitted that Take Two was “seriously” considering Wii U support, having seen Wii do well for the company.

“We are looking at it seriously and at the relationship with Nintendo. We have supported the Wii and it has worked for us. We have done Carnival Games for the Wii. They support the platform and they were pretty excited about what they have seen,” said Zelnick.

“It will not be driven by me pounding the table saying do it, it will be driven by economic opportunity and creative opportunity.”