SCEE trademarks PSVita, PlayStation Vita in Europe

Monday, 6th June 2011 08:39 GMT By Johnny Cullen

SCEE’s registered two new PSVita trademarks in Europe, which seems to all but confirm that this’ll be the final name for NGP.

As spotted by GAF, the trademarks were made on Friday to the Trademarks and Designs Registration Office of the European Union. It’s classified for use under a whole list of goods, but you can probably guess it’s not going to be used for them.

Vita’s been rumoured to be the proper name of Sony’s next-gen PSP, which has been going under the codename Next-Generation Portable since its unveiling in January, as of last week.

Expect the device to have an almighty blowout when Sony holds its E3 press conference in the the early hours of tomorrow morning from 1.00am BST (8.00pm EST tonight, 5.00pm PST, 10.00am Sydney).

1. Bluebird

Can’t wait to hear an explanation for that name. :)

2. Patrick Garratt

Blimey.

3. triggerhappy686

It’s not bad, infact its pretty decent actually. Wonder what weird name Nintendos giving its new console.

4. Erthazus

VITA – Life

GET A LIFE! :D

5. Bluebird

@4: After “The third place!” I wouldn’t be surprised if that their slogan. :D

6. Patrick Garratt

I’ve been told this is the real name. As I’ve said a few times, Vita was a codename used by Sony and devs last year. Apparently this is the final brand, though.

7. Fin

I think it’s a good name myself!

8. Christopher Jack

PSV doesn’t sound too bad but it sounds like it could be the name for the PlayStation 5.

9. Erthazus

Playstation Vita in my opinion is a horrible name… Just horrible.

first time i found something that i don’t like about NGP.
    VITA is even worse then Project Natal or Kinect.

A: what is it?

B: It’s VITA!

*facepalm*

10. Patrick Garratt

As I just said on the liveblog: “I think Vita’s great, seriously. Everyone will get used to it very quickly. They have to call it something. It’s a snappy name you won’t forget, and it draws on all the social stuff they’re adding, so yeah, I like it.”

11. DrDamn

It’s alright. I can see why they’ve gone for it. Fits with the type of device and applications on it. Though it’s going to have a tougher time with the competition more phones than Nintendo now. It’s certainly not offensive as a name and PSV is actually a decent acronym if you can’t bear to say Vita. Maybe a sponsorship deal with Eindhoven? :)

12. onlineatron

Vita is ok.

There’s not much in a name anyway, it’s hardly the thing that will stop me purchasing it.

No, my friends, that will be the inevitably huge price tag… *gulp*

13. Maximum Payne

Vito Corloene is much better :)

14. Christopher Jack

At least it’s not generic, I’m not sure whether I’d actually prefer a generic name-honestly, I don’t think I give a damn about it’s name, at least it doesn’t sound like a toddler’s play toy like the past 2 Nintendo home consoles.

15. Esper

“Super Oval Shape”
    “LiveArea UI”
    and now “PSVITA”

All of these terms made up just for NGP. Seriously, if sony didn’t pay their marketing dept. enough money for this Im sure they’ll be starved to death by now.

16. MadFingerz

Couldn’t care less about what it’s called. It’s just gonna be one of those names you’ll get used to, like Wii.

@11 PSV Eindhoven also came to my mind xD

17. earlyrock

Probably a sign they’re moving away from numbers. 4 is a bad number for the Japanese right? I can’t see the next PS being PlayStation 4 so maybe its a sign of things to come.

18. jevonski

can’t we just call it the psp2 and pretend this never happened.