Kinecting the core: Forza 4 head-tracking shown in video

Wednesday, 1st June 2011 11:01 GMT By Debabrata Nath

A new video on Youtube has Major Nelson giving us the first glimpse of Forza 4′s head-tracking feature.

The video, taken from Inside Xbox, features him trying out the racer’s head-tracking feature, which tracks your head’s movements via Kinect.

It also has Dan Greenawalt of Turn 10 detailing it further.

Microsoft earlier confirmed that the game will shown at E3 this year.

You can watch the clip below. The game’s marked for a fall release.

1. Erthazus

Head tracking for any racing game is a horrible idea if you don’t have 3 screens.

2. kingofscotland

@1 Agreed – because you can turn your head but then need to squint back your eyes to the screen so you can see – unless you have 3 screens.

I know GT5 supported 3 screens – but who has that kind of setup.

Apart from maybe Kaz.

Think I’d get divorced if I came home with another 2 screens

3. Moonwalker1982

I don’t care for Forza much but this could really work a horror game.

4. M. K.

I’m not a huge racing fan, but this looks great :)

5. DrDamn

But if you had three screens why would you want to head track?

Looks nice and should work more intuitively than Shift 2 which I found a little confusing with helmet cam. Some notable lag in the video but that would probably be less noticeable in actual play.

6. Erthazus

@5, because it’s more immersive with that way.

Head tracking feature does not work because as kingofscotland said: “because you can turn your head but then need to squint back your eyes to the screen so you can see”

this feature was long ago invetned in PC racing sims and in the end it was a bad idea, now it’s on consoles just to sell peripherals to casual girls and boys.

Unless some racing fan have three screens. It’s not worth penny.

7. Mondayding

It MIGHT work if the head tracking can be set to not follow your head as it turns left and right, but to follow it as it tilts to the left and the right – see what I mean?

Then again – blah, blah, blah – it’s not Blur 2 so who cares…

8. DrDamn

But if you have three screens you don’t need to head track as the screens already show the info head tracking is designed to add. It adds more to a single screen setup.

9. bluffbluff03

@1 Head tracking is senseless with 3 screens. Normally you use 3 screens so that the picture itself does not need to move left or right and that you just need to lock to one of the screens to create a relasitic feeling of driving. An additionally head-tracking would make it even worse. But after all, I dont think head tracking is very sensefull, even not with only one screen. Exept it becomes a kind of intuition.

10. albo88

#1 3 screens setup does not need an Head tracking
    cos they are programmed to have both left and right side on the screen so wtf will you see there

11. albo88

sorry i become receptive i dint see #9 comments i agree with hem

12. NoxNoctisUmbra

I thought they said they will have new light effects, almost looks the same as in fm3. As well on side note gt5 supports 5 screen setup.And that Microsoft wheel is a joke better off plying with gamad.

13. barchetta

I’m guessing the head tracking is going to be pretty sensitive – maybe 15 degrees of rotation to allow the eyes to remain viewing the screen but just enough for Kinect to pick up… and I’d be amazed if it wasn’t simply a ‘sub-option’ of the in car view as it is clearly polarising opinion already!

An embarrassing amount of pedal slip in that vid too… :D

14. Iliad

You’re obviously going to be able to turn it on and off, so it’s not like there’s anything to complain about. It’s an addition that Kinect owners can choose to enjoy if they wish. I’m personally really looking forward to it, and will decide after using it for a bit before making a decision to carry on with it or not.

I agree with #13, it’ll probably only require a bit of rotation, and may even be customisable to boot.

I can’t wait to try it out, and if it sucks, then it gets turned off and no loss.