Diablo III’s runestones detailed

Thursday, 26th May 2011 04:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Blizzard has gone into greater detail on Diablo III’s runestones, which let players customise the effects – and even appearance – of their skills.

There are five varieties of runestone – crimson, indigo, obsidian, golden, and alabaster.

Each modifies the skill its attached to in different ways – Blizzard’s post offers the example of crimson increasing damage while alabaster adds a stun effect.

The effects of each runestone type vary from skill to skill, too. For instance, the crimson runestone changes the damage of Acid Cloud from a sustained to an immediate effect, but adds area of effect damage to Whirlwind.

As there are over 100 skills in the game, that’s more than 500 possible combinations.

Additionally, each of the five runestones is available in several different ranks, or levels of strength – meaning you’re potentially looking at thousands of results.

Hit the link above for more details.

Thanks, Gamefront.

1. macronia

I don’t want to hear anything from this game except release date
    I am tired of waiting and aging too

but this news is very good , can’t wait to see this new detail

THX Brenna

2. noherczeg

Well, after all those previous videos, this one at least looks promising. I’m alway pleased with eye candy, and this may add some variety to the game too, and not just stats wise(vise? vize? Sry for bad english).

3. mojo

wise it is.

i hoping for a graphic mod asap. d2 style baby, yeah!

4. Erthazus

D2 style of graphical mode? I want that too, but i’m not sure that fans will do it in freakin 1-2 years.

5. mojo

the tragedy about it is that they allready had the perfect art style for d3 and than canned and replaced it with WoW art..

6. OlderGamer

I agree completly with being let down with the art style of the game. I don’t like it, at all.

7. DSB

The D2 graphical style should be taken out back and shot. Even when it first came out it looked godawful.

I agree that Diablo should aim for the darker side of things rather than the cartoony look they’re going for, but ultimately it’s going to come down to whether they’ve actually updated the gameplay or whether playing Deathspank, Torchlight or Diablo 3 is virtually the same thing.

Alien Swarm delivered a few good ideas for how you’d want to do it.

I think it’s a lot worse that they won’t have Matt Uelmen doing the soundtrack this time.

8. TheWulf

I’m frankly amazed by how bad this game looks.

You know what this reeks of?

Hey guys… we’re not going to spend any money on artists or anything this time around, right? Those interns will do, yeah? I mean, it’s not like we have to be honest like those poor ArenaNet chumps, we could sell a potato with ‘Blizzard’ carved into it and signed by a janitor for millions, so why should we bother? Am I right? Let’s get the interns working on this, get it out the door, slap a $50 pricetag on it… a minimum of effort and maximised profits! Blessed bee our legion of trained chimps who’ll buy anything!

Yeah, that.

What bothers me is that despite the lack of effort, the obvious lack of effort, this is going to sell millions, possibly even billions. And it just goes to show that what you don’t need is a great game, but rather marketing and a few people on board trained in psychology.

It just reinforces what I keep saying about how Blizzard are just the mainstream’s Zynga.