Minecraft coming to Xperia Play

Tuesday, 24th May 2011 23:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Mojang has said Minecraft will grace Sony Ericsson’s Xperia Play for an exclusivity period before coming to other mobile devices.

Speaking to Gamasutra, a Mojang representative said the port will feature customised control scheme to fit the Xperia Play’s PlayStation-like inputs.

No concrete dating details have been confirmed, although the port will “release early and update frequently” like its progenitor.

Android, iOS and sundry other mobile device versions are also in the works.

More information is expected at Mojang’s June 7 media event.

Indie smash hit Minecraft has has totted up over two million sales.

The Xperia Play, often called the PlayStation Phone, will arrive in the US tomorrow after a European launch, and is expected in other territories soon.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. ultramega

Wtf. So they’re going to be holding back the regular Android version because of an exclusivity period? Man. This Xperia Play “exclusive” shit is really starting to piss me off.

2. Johnny Cullen

Considering how awful sales have been for games on Xperia Play, this has to be nothing but a massive boost.

3. jevonski

Awesome :D I love my Xperia play the reason I got it was because sony was backing it for games ^^

4. Yoshi

@1 Did you QQ this much when COD got the Xbox exclusivity period and then with GTA too?

5. Bloodyghost

WHAT!

I am sorry..

But…

WHAT?!!?!?

Damn. I have to get this cellphone now.

6. mathare92

Very well played on Mojang’s part, that’s for sure. I wonder how much the deal was worth :)

7. Erthazus

My opinion: Bring this to NGP

8. Nozz

That’s pretty big news tbh. Minecraft is beastly and to have it portably is gonna be insane.

Fair play to SE and Mojang, this can only mean good things for both parties.

9. rrw

#2 xperia sales as hardware actually sales pretry good. few of the retail actually out of stock. obviously the game is not sales because most of them play emulator

10. Brenna Hillier

This is going to consume every moment of my life I’m not at my desk, I can already tell.

11. Blerk

Having seen a video yesterday of an Xperia being used to play a bunch of old games via emulators, I’m suddenly a lot more interested in one. :-)

12. Christopher Jack

I’d like a gamepad that I could dock my Galaxy S into something similar to the NGP’s controller layout would be nice.
    I’ve heard that the Nintendo classic wireless controller does well for Android gaming, anyone else able to comment on that?

13. super64

would be awesome if this paved the way for minecraft on NGP

14. scratchy69

Mine Xpreia Play is essentially a portable SNES. I love it. Love it. Love it.

15. bugmenot

@12 The Nintendo classic controller works great, but keep in mind you have to plug it into a regular wiimote (the thing is not actually wireless and needs the wiimote to transmit). You then use Wiimote Controller on android to interface with the controller: http://www.appbrain.com/app/wiimote-controller/com.ccpcreations.android.WiiUseAndroid. Works great with emulators.