Obsidian “would make Alpha Protocol 2,” and “do better” with it

Saturday, 21st May 2011 16:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart has said the team would happily make Alpha Protocol 2.

Speaking in the latest issue of Play, Urquhart said the team, if it decided to make a sequel, would do a better job of it as well.

“I think there were things in the game we could have done better,” he said (via NowGamer). “We’ve talked about how the cover system wasn’t the best. Would it have been better with no cover system, so we could focus on other things instead? There were certain things we did really well – the whole story, the characters, the branching.

“Perhaps it was not necessarily the job we did but there was something beyond the game – how it was represented or how it was sold or what people felt we promised them. Something went off-kilter there. So there’s another lesson to learn about communication.

“We’re not making Alpha Protocol 2 but I would make Alpha Protocol 2. To do a job like this, sometimes you have to be optimistic, you have to look to the future and say ‘We can do better.’ And I always believe that.”

Obsidian is currently working on Dungeon Siege III and recently released the Honest Hearts DLC for Fallout: New Vegas.

1. Robbins

hooray, maybe…….. not

2. Phoenixblight

Yeah

Obsidian you can’t make good games, great concepts but you can’t follow through worth a damn. I am surprised you are still functioning as a studio.

3. Erthazus

Bullshit!

They made an absolutely great Fallout sequel to Fallout 2. they are incredible RPG studio and they will exist.

4. badboy_122

fallout 3 was both published and developed by Bathesda Softworks on the other hand new vegas was published by Bathesda and developed by Obsidian

& I’ve both games ,fallout 3 is better than vegas
    but I really liked new vegas as well but not like fallout 3

5. Phoenixblight

You are sorely mistaken Black Isle did Fallout and Fallout 2. The key members of Black Isle left and created their own studio Troika before the rest of Black Isle was laid off. Obsidian were the left over hacks from Black Isle. Every game Obsidian has put out has been half baked and bug ridden.

6. Hunam

@5 Just as many people went to Obsidian as went to Troika after Black Isle imploded. I wouldn’t call the PS:T, IWD and IWD2 team hacks either. Though Obsidian are pretty much hacks now. The problem with AP was basically, everything outside of the story and writing. The game used UE3 to produce some of the worst visuals seen in that engine, mod, indie or otherwise. The animation was terrible, the physics outdated and the textures were nearly PS2 quality. The models were basic, the sound was poor and the gameplay was often broken. The studio just cannot function on a technical level. NWN2 was their best work by a mile as it’s a great game held up by some terrible, terrible tech. They studio has some of the best talent in the world, but it also houses some massively incompetent or lazy developers. It’s not hard to make a decent looking game with UE3 but they failed that. Then they try and blame everything on other peoples engine despite the entire industry using various forms of gamebyro or UE3 and not having a problem.

7. Razor

Yeah, they couldn’t do much worse could they?

Kaaapow!

8. Phoenixblight

I wasn’t saying Black Isle were horrible they made some of the best games at that time but after the split and Obsidian came out of it nothing as polished as Black Isle has come out of Obsidian. They have great concepts for their games but they can’t follow through worth a damn.

9. LOLshock94

obsidian was involved with so many titles it didnt suprise me that there own IP would be shit but doesnt mean there are shit studio i think there really talented people and if there was any studio that is shit it has to rebellion so hate them

10. abbe

OH GOD YES PLEASE! :D
    I would LOVE to see Alpha Protocol 2, its one of the few games that I’ve actually played through Twice without hesitation or quitting halfway through.

11. Phoenixblight

*cough* Not Happening *cough*

12. Hunam

A small mercy.

13. abbe

@11, yeah I’ve read that as well, but I will still voice my want for a new Alpha Protocol.

I mean, while the gameplay and game mechanics were terrible most of the time, the writing, dialogue and the choices that you could make were top notch.

Its a game that were actually Fun and Engaging while still having poor gameplay. Nothing I could say about Fallout 3 for example, which for me is about at the same level of quality as Alpha Protocol.

14. tracertong

Well, it doesn’t really matter what SEGA thinks, since Obsidian owns the IP.

Alpha Protocol was one of the only RPGs that did actual branching story with actual choices. Mass Effect, other rpgs, pfft. They got nothing. Play AP five times, and there’s still new stuff to see. As such, it’s an amazing game, too bad people took it for a shooter. For part two, throw out most of the shooting and put in stuff like the gelato dude. Done.

15. Phoenixblight

You can’t put out a game without a publisher unless Obsidian has enough money to do it which they do not. Most publishers if not all won’t publish Obsidians own IP. So keep dreaming. They are just a studio that handles other developers titles when the original studio doesn’t want to make a sequel.

16. The_Red

As a fan of Alpha Protocol I say yay. Don’t sue me, it has serious problems but also had some really great and fun elements and it definitely wasn’t as bad as everyone claimed.

17. blacktouch007

why the first one wasnt good start over

18. YoungZer0

@4: Erth did not say that Fallout 3 was made by Obsidian. I think he tried to say that Fallout 3 was not a true sequel to the original games. And for once i agree with him.

@5: Wow, can you sound like a bigger asshole? What makes you say that only the untalented people joined together to create Obsidian? You don’t know!

Most of the staff from Troika joined Obsidian when they had to close their studio. And their games were just as bug-ridden if not worse than any game released by Obsidian. Great games, really, but bug-ridden and ugly as hell.

To topic:

I’m all for a new Alpha Protocol, but they really need a better direction on this one. Not only had Alpha Protocol many flaws, but most of the things just didn’t add up. Especially the art-direction. None of the characters do fit into this world. No character-creation, limited levels, trying to be stealthy was the most horrifying experience ever.

The animations were horrible, sometimes it looked like the main character was sliding on the ground, which could be fixed on pc btw.

Horrible optimization. Clunky controls, weird recoil and hit detection.

All in all, i think it had alot of potential and i enjoyed the freedom to behave like a complete and utter asshole.

What they need to do is, they really need to start hiring some decent programmers and designers.

19. Old MacDonald

Alpha Protocol was a pretty decent game too. I’d much rather have Alpha Protocol 2 than, say, Mass Effect 3.

20. Phoenixblight

“New Vegas was miles ahead of Fallout 3 in terms of quality. It was genuinely good, whereas F3 was average at best.”

Riiight Because Fallout New Vegas wasn’t littered with game breaking bugs and pretty apparent bugs in the plot like the metrorail quest for example, pretty evident in New Vegas that they didn’t have QA because there were bugs following the main quest that made it broken.
    Took them almost 8 months to put out a patch and then that patch made the game even more broken. Yep Obsidian did a far better job than Fallout 3 atleast Fallout 3 was playable. Obsidian did have a better story than Bathesda did, and I give them that. They have great writers and come up with great concepts they just don’ave the technical skills to pull it off.

Alpha Protocol was completely broken right out of the box and you would be damn lucky if Obsidian can find a publisher dumb enough to give them money for the next game. Its not like Sega is at the top of publishing even they said they won’t publish Alpha Protocol 2.

Don’t shoot for the moon if all you have is a bottle rocket.

21. Hunam

New Vegas was weird. It was a great game for once from Obsidian, but the start is really annoyingly linear, you are literally funnelled counter clockwise around the map for the first third of the game, complete with tons of invisible walls on the mountains in the middle of the map. Then you got to the strip. The worst part of the game. A ghost town with giant walls for almost no apparent reason. Each club was just shit and the area was just an embarrassment. Then you just wonder around till you slowly fill your map with actual things to do. The last third of the game, and the longest is figuring out how they made the backwards ass game and actually getting to do stuff and following the great end game choices. I remember the areas surrounding the strip took me a good few hours to actually find settlements as it all looked the same, but eventually you find the nooks and cranneys and what you though was nothing turned into something. It was hard work though.

22. IL DUCE

Maybe completely overhaul the graphics esp character models, shooting mechanics, get some decent voice actors, make character and weapons more customizable, leave the cover system in but make it a lot better such as mass effect, and completely overhaul character animations since he looked like an idiot when walking while crouched, or should I say tip toe shuffling…also more interesting objectives and story lines would be a plus…basically everything from the last game pretty much sucked so don’t take anything “good” from that because basically nothing was besides the alternate paths and branching story like he said…

23. ManuOtaku

I did like a lot Alpha Protocol, it was like mass effect, i mean buggy as hell, with nice conversation wheel and storywise, and for me alpha protocol was mass effect on earth with spies, thats why i dont understand the hate torwards it, and the love torwards mass effect, both are good games that deserve our respect.

24. mickyd96

they have to make an alpha protocol 2 this is one of my favorite rpgs of all time because of how different and interesting the story is, this is the game I replay now and again whenever i’m bored and need a change from current game they have to make a sequel otherwise i’m gonna have to march down to the studio and make it myself :)

25. DSB

Alpha Protocol was just a terrible game through and through. The story was worse than the stuff you see on “24″, and the gameplay made the original Mass Effect look like a work of art.

Please flush it twice.

@20 I can only speak for myself, but even though Fallout 3 was less broken than New Vegas, I still don’t feel like ever going back to it. The story and the world were as dull as an Elder Scrolls game.

For all the grief of playing New Vegas, it could’ve been truly amazing if it actually worked.

26. ejams

Funny that this pops up in the comments right as I go to put it in and try playing it again :) When I first got it from the bargain bin, I was expecting syphon filter for PS3 (for some reason…) but the gameplay quickly turned me off and I never turned back until now. It’s been staring at me from my shelf and I think it needs a re-try, if for no other reason than because I paid money for it.

27. Jerykk

Not really sure why AP gets so much hate. Yes, the combat was pretty clunky and the cover system didn’t work very well. The minigames were stupid too. However, AP’s implementation of choice and consequence was excellent. Almost everything you do has some long-term impact and the game had tons of branching paths. Depending on your choices, certain characters could either be prominent parts of your story or just background characters. The dialogue system was really well-done as well. It actually require some thought, as you had to read your opponent’s personality and try to tell him/her what he/she wanted to hear. Far more interesting than simply choosing the blue/red options in Mass Effect. Also, the game actually had viable stealth gameplay where you could actually sneak past enemies. Compare this to ME, where cloaking is used only to make it easier to flank enemies and move from cover to cover.

I played through AP with a stealth/melee build and it was highly enjoyable. I’d love to see a sequel, but I’m pretty sure it’s never going to happen because Sega owns the license.

Also, Obsidian isn’t comprised of “leftover hacks” from Troika and Black Isle. Chris Avellone is widely considered to be the best RPG writer in the industry. His nickname of MCA (Master Chris Avellone) is well-deserved after his work on games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas and Mask of the Betrayer.

28. Phoenixblight

“I’d love to see a sequel, but I’m pretty sure it’s never going to happen because Sega owns the license.”

That and they specifically said no more Alpha Protocol.

29. Ireland Michael

This is over a year old….

30. Jerykk

Just goes to show you the strong opinions that people have over AP. ;P