BioWare hiring for environment artists for “Dragon Age III”

Friday, 20th May 2011 07:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

BioWare’s working on Dragon Age III, according to one tweet from a developer at its Edmonton HQ.

Senior director of creative development Alistair McNally said a couple of hours ago he was “looking for exceptional environment artists to join me at #BioWare Edmonton, Canada to work on DragonAge3.”

More legitimacy was to the tweet was added when Mass Effect 3 gameplay designer Christina Noman RT’ed the tweet.

This is the first mention of the game from anyone at BioWare or EA, but comes two months after Dragon Age II was released for PS3, 360 and PC.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Gurdil

Woohoo! Good news! Ok I know a lot of you didn’t like DA2 but I actually loved it so yeah that’s great news to me!

2. TheWulf

Probably a good idea, considering. Just make the right choices, Bioware.

3. Phoenixblight

I enjoyed the second one even though it was pretty obvious it was rushed if they give it a longer time frame and put more detail at least as much as ME than I would be a happy camper.

4. Golden

Great news about DA3.

Easy job though when you only have to create 5 environments (chuckle to self)

5. JimFear-666

in other words they need some people to do come copy/past everywhere in the game like DA2?

6. Erthazus

I’m playing witcher 2 right now and i’m just blown away by everything. for me this game is a new standard (and benchmark) for future RPG games. Probably my favourite RPG of all time. I love about it absolutely everything… even graphics and art design is amazing, considering i don’t care for graphics in RPG, but here they just blew me away. Dialogs are impressive, no stupid dialogs where lots of text of information you don’t need in the end, just straight info, i like it. Just straight about setting and the story with quick time events on dialogs (aka Fahrenheit style) with deep alchemy and class system without quests like “go there and deliver me shit in most cases (except for maybe agreement missions).” Great combat system that from the start feels like a simple system but in the end when you start using potions, knives, spells and etc. it’s a deep gameplay experience considering cool AI (they need to fix stupid bug ASAP when you go away from them and they turn back.) and challenging bosses.

Also, if you read Andrzej Sapkowski books before playing witcher 2 you will be blown away even more. Because the quality of the environment is almost like in the Witcher books.

Sorry for the off topic, it’s just i don’t expect something less that was done in Witcher 2. I’m still very slowly progressin in Witcher 2. Such a fantastic experience.

7. Blerk

I really must get around to playing Dragon Age 1 at some point. :-|

8. Hybridpsycho

First time I agree with Erthazus.

DA2 would be OK if it was a 3 hour prequel to the actual game :/

Also, please Bioware…stop focusing on shitty romances. I play the game to go on an epic adventure, not to have sex with gay anders.

9. RockTwist

I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 but, yeah, there’s a lot they could improve upon for DA3 and as Erthazus said taking some inspiration/tips from Witcher 2 would only be a good thing. Witcher 1 I found ok, but 2 has completely blown me away and i’m loving it even though i’m still only in Chapter 1 after 10 hours and spending my time just exploring/crafting. It really is incredible, I really didn’t think i’d enjoy it much (i’m not a fan of preset characters in RPG’s) but i’m even liking Geralt.

Don’t get me wrong, i’m a huge Bioware fan (been called a fanboy of them countless times) but even I can see DA2 was rushed – Witcher 2 is where i’d like to see them go in future not this ‘mass appeal’ path they’re currently on.

Environment Artists is a good start though, maybe we’ll get more than 3 this time hoho. Still, I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 – it’s just the first Bioware RPG i’ve not replayed (as of yet) as a different class.

10. Gurdil

I’ll admit DA1 was better RPG-wise but the combat system was soooo slow and unrealistic (in the animations I mean cause y’know… Magic isn’t real)! It took away all the fun for me (especially since I played the second one first… I know, I know I’m an heretic). I read here and there that the DA2 combat system made the game too easy. Well, I don’t know if you tried the nightmare mode but it sure wasn’t easy to me! oO

11. badboy_122

DA2 was really awesome but to the standards of DA1 OMG … not that good …I mean they improved somethings in DA2 and didn’t care about lots of things like the repetitive environment …when I was going to any cave in the game it has the same structure but with different doors ..it was really frustrating ..but I liked the improvement in the combat system and the inventory ..the story too was very good … I’m really looking forward to this game to see what they’ll do .

12. Espers

The game sucks why bother, selling people cheap games … EA know that your other games sales are supporting DA and without these other titles, you might have closed the project

13. Gurdil

@11 I’m with you there: the redundant environments were a bit frustrating but the improvements on the combat system were really satisfying

14. YoungZer0

@6: “Dragon Age 2 was a cheap RPG. It’s enjoyable, but in the end it was a mediocre experience in every other way. It’s enjoyable for hardcore RPG gamers only.”

Contradiction much?