CD Projekt spent a year-and-a-half designing Geralt for The Witcher

Tuesday, 17th May 2011 17:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CD Projekt Red’s Tomasz Gop has said it was important for the team to only only emphasize player freedom with The Witcher 2, but to also have a “clearly-defined” character in Geralt.

Speaking in an interview with Gamasutra, Gop said that the game the team “always wanted to do,” involved telling stories, and it took the team over a year to come up with the concept of the main character.

“I don’t know if you know this, but we spent a lot of time, way before we did The Witcher 1, choosing the main hero,” he said. “After being really inspired about doing the books, we were thinking about doing the game about some other Witcher, not exactly the same guy, so we took like a year and a half designing his look, designing his gameplay features, and so on and so on and so on.

“And after that, it was like a week when we tried to prototype things, we had seen it, we had thought about it. ‘No, it has to be Geralt. Sorry.’ If you want to have a character that’s cool to play, it has to be this guy. It all changed within days.

“I don’t think it’s a problem [combining a defined story with player freedom], because if you think about it and if you weigh everything, you have a really solid hero where you can create personality, and still be able to give a lot of freedom to players

“It’s just a matter of, where do you invest your work? We invest lots of it in the story. Other people have to share, split it between character and story, and that’s okay as well. It’s just, you know, we have to make sure the story is good enough to draw everybody.”

The Witcher 2 is out today on PC.

1. Bloodyghost

Something Witcher this way comes….

I know. Know. that a Witcher for the consoles will be announced at E3. Its just where at.

2. sasanjfr

@ 1
    I hope so.I’d like to play it on both pc and PS3.just the same I did with Mass Effect 2

3. Erthazus

@1, i’m not sure if they are going to announce witcher 2 for consoles. I’m not so sure.

I’m playing it right now and it’s bloody fantastic. GAME OF THE YEAR contender and maybe the best RPG of 2011.

If they are going to port witcher 2 for consoles i expect some serious stripped version of Witcher 2 because of the UI and some serious stuff.

from graphics|Visuals to the gameplay and story. It’s bloody fantastic. Probably the first game that didn’t dissapointed me this year. I love it.

4. Bloodyghost

It will happen. The fact for the last year, CD has been losely talking about a project “its experimenting with the consoles” and even had a interview with a Polish Game Journalist where it remarked we will see or hear about 2 games this year from them.

Witcher 2 and….?

I have a hunch it might be a exclusive title. But I doubt it as we get closer to E3.

5. Bloodyghost

@3 Didnt say Witcher 2 for the consoles. I said they will probably announce a Witcher title for consoles.

The UI has already been made for Controller support on the PC. Thats fine, the devs haven even stated so. They are trying there best to make a proper game, thats why the other Witcher game that was announced for the consoles but wasnt really cancelled, has been in the making for years.

Love to hear you got some love for your critic taste, friend.

6. YoungZer0

I really hope they stop listening to their ‘fans’ the next time they decide to do a game. You should never listen to your ‘fans’ when it’s about the art-direction.

7. Erthazus

and Geralt appearance is so much better then in the first game.
    Like in the book, i like what they did with him. In the first game he was i dunno… too young i guess?

@Bloodyghost, Witcher as a new title for consoles? I think it’s a great idea. I’d tap that :D

8. YoungZer0

Yeah, he looks better than he did in the first one. But that’s no really an achievement, since he was fucking ugly. The youth however is not the problem, since Witcher older slower than humans do. He looked way better in the alpha stage of Witcher 2. But then some ‘fans’ complained and CD Projekt followed. Heard alot of their artists got pissed about it too.

9. TheWulf

The Witcher 2 could never really happen on consoles, they’d have to neuter the graphics engine for it, unfortunately. I’m not saying that this is a good thing, either, as I’ve never been a fan of putting the engine over the art direction, I just don’t see a need for it.

@6 – Couldn’t agree more.

10. Ireland Michael

A year and a half, and that’s the best design they could come up with? Really?

11. Gekidami

^ Indeed, he just looks so bland and forgettable.

12. YoungZer0

@10: I’d like to know your opinion on the whole thing. Which one looks better:

13. Ireland Michael

@10 I’m not arguing the quality of the graphics. I just think the character design is, as Geki put it, “bland and unforgettable”.

14. Stephany Nunneley

OMG MY UPS MAN JUST PULLED UP WITH THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!! I could have tackled him right then and there :D

15. Gekidami

Set the dogs on him.

16. Espers

what does that mean ?! go buy the game ??! HA HA HA … they need to close cd projekt and go learn game design in a reputable game studio … selling me a DX8 game ?!!!