Rumour: Sony shelves PSPgo

Tuesday, 19th April 2011 10:56 GMT By Stace Harman

A blog post, seemingly written by a Japanese Sony Shop employee, has claimed that Sony has ceased production of its low-selling PSPgo. Sony has so far refused to confirm or deny the rumour.

The blog post, translated by Andriasang, also points out that the handheld is unavailable for purchase via Sony Japan’s store.

Meanwhile, Sony’s UK store lists the black PSPgo as “temporarily unavailable”, though the white version is available for next day delivery.

In a statement released to Eurogamer, Sony refused to comment directly on whether production has indeed been ceased:

“It is a very exciting time for PlayStation portable devices,” Sony said. “Before the end of the year we are launching NGP, our next generation portable device, which we believe will revolutionise portable gaming. In the meantime, the current generation of PSPs continue to be in demand, especially since the introduction of our value for money, Essentials range of games and we will continue to meet that demand.”

The handheld proved unpopular with some retailers at its inception due to its lack of a physical media drive. All software titles for the device are downloadable, cutting the retailers out of the software supply chain.

PSPgo recently underwent a price cut in Australia.

Sony’s NGP, the successor to PSP, is launching towards the end of 2011.

1. Blerk

PSPgone.

2. Patrick Garratt

Boom.

3. Christopher Jack

I thought that the PSPgo had a nice design but a majority of new iteration console buyers are upgraders rather than new customers so Sony cost a fuckload of customers by removing any possible way of playing UMDs, even an external solution would have sufficed.

4. Ireland Michael

And nothing of value was lost.

5. Patrick Garratt

It’s too small. It’s a lovely little thing, but it played God of War on it and nearly hand some kind of mental hand seizure.

6. Razor

The most pointless device in gaming history.

What were Sony thinking. I mean, seriously.

7. Suikoden Fan

@6 really the most pointless? surely the n gage wins that?

8. Fin

@6 @7

I saw some sort of virtual pool game for PS2/3 (can’t remember which) in HMV today. It came with a pool stick.
    Beat that.

9. Nozz

@8 lol, really!? wtf

10. Erthazus

It’s not the most pointless, it’s just full of mistakes.

11. Blerk

I find God of War pretty much unplayable even on a normal PSP. “Hand-gymnastics” doesn’t really cover it, I’m in genuine pain after playing even a single level. :-|

12. StolenGlory

I can’t say i’ve had ANY problems playing God of War on a normal PSP at all. On the PSPGo though? For sure, the analogue nub is in the most retarded place imaginable. I think that ultimately though, some folks who are having problems and worse, pain whilst playing it simply might be trying to do too much.

For example, all of your special powers are mapped to the d-pad and a few of the folks I have seen playing it are trying to move and use their powers at the same time.

Bollocks to that. If I just want to use my powers I just take my thumb off of the nub and click the d-pad in the direction of the power that I wish to use, place my thumb back on the nub and then trot/dash off. The difficulty of the game is never so bad (even on the highest) that if you are stood still and have the correct range on your enemies, that you’ll be hopelessly swarmed, interrupted and dead within a few seconds.

Other than this, you pretty much have your thumb on the analogue nub at all times and the fingers on your other hand free to depress the face buttons, and your other thumb to use the shoulder button when required.

13. Blerk

I hate the placement of the analogue nub even on the traditional PSP, it’s in a completely shit place. They should’ve totally swapped the nub and the d-pad over.

14. 2plus2equals5

Pspgo is a beautiful console, but damn sony, you made a lot of mistakes!
    Pricey console, pricey or missing games…
    I have a psp2k and i want to convert myself to digital games(i really hate the noise and loading times of the umd), but there are a lot of missing games on the eu psstore!
    Sony do something!

15. freedoms_stain

A lot of the psp games I was interested in are not available on the psn store, a lot of people will have noticed that. Plus UMD’s are often half the cost or better than the psn price.

It was a good idea in principal imo, but the library let it down big time.

16. StolenGlory

I agree they should have swapped the positioning over and while it does make it totally shit for FPS titles, it seems to do alright for everything else in my opinion.