FFVII for NGP rumour looks suspiciously like complete bollocks

Monday, 11th April 2011 10:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

What is apparently an email from Square Enix to potential translators for an NGP remake of Final Fantasy VII is doing the rounds. Read it and weep.

The email can be found on a cached Gawker forum post page (thanks rrw). Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with either Gawker or Kotaku. It’s a community member posting the image. We’ve added it for you below.

The product is apparently called Final Fantasy VII – Enhanced Edition, and promised new graphics, an “endless world” and a rehash on FFXIII’s battle system.

Before you get too excited, the reaction we just got from an SE PR rep on the phone suggests, to put it mildly, that this may not be legit.

Other giveaways include the word “headquartes”.

We’re waiting for official comment.

1. EscoBlades

*sniff sniff*

Smell that? Yeah…i smell it too. It must be bullshit.

2. Blerk

That’s frankly hilarious! :-D

3. Erthazus

If this is going to be announced i will be one of the idiots that will purchase this device at launch.

But i’m sure this is F A K E. It’s obvious that people want that and to make decent prank out of it is not a problem.

4. Erthazus

Playstation Portable 2/NEO ?

F A K E !

5. Deacon

Although it would sure help Sony shift a whole load of NGP’s, it would be a crime for them not to release a remake / ‘enhanced version’ on PS3.

If it ever comes, it deserves to be played on a BIG TV, whilst in a very comfy chair. NOT on the bus.

——————————————-

The thought of having FFVII with XIII’s battle system and AC-level graphics is just too much for me… x_x

6. Blerk

I’m not sure I trust Squenix to remake it without cocking it up these days, anyway. Perhaps some things are best left ‘fondly remembered’.

7. KAP

This news? really?

8. 2plus2equals5

Fake or not, the ffxiii’s battle system is the WORST i’ ve ever played, i really hate it, so no thank you.
    Playstation neo? Playstation portable neo? Mmmm, i don’t know…

9. DrDamn

I thought that FFXIII’s battle system was it’s redeeming feature and the best in a FF title for a long time.

This is quite a bad fake but with a lot of misplaced effort put in. “the supposedly best plot”? Yeah that sounds like exactly the sort of thing PR people write. It’s is also very normal to include a game feature list like this for a secret game when asking a linguist (Mr Linguist) to do some work for you.

10. 2plus2equals5

@9:
    i really hate that system because for me it takes the worst of both turn and real time battle systems.
    It’s turn based but you don’t have the time to think about your moves(and sometimes i push the wrong button because it’s too fast), but at the same time you can’t move(change your position, run away or get closer to an enemy) or attack freely like in real time combats.

11. Hunam

FFXII had the best battle system. Hell, if XII had a decent story it would have been the best one hand’s down.

12. Blerk

Egads, I couldn’t disagree more, Hunam. I loathed FFXII’s battle system in almost every single respect. It was shit. :-)

13. NeoSquall

What, they’re naming the NGP after me? :D

14. Hunam

@12 It was almost the exact same battle system as Dragon Age Origins, which is one of the finest RPG’s in years.

15. Erthazus

XII and XIII had the best battle system. Who disagree can go to hell. I mean, they are innovative. thats something new and fresh.

16. Gadzooks!

#10

I have to agree. Battle systems should either be realtime or turn-based, not an awkward mixture of the two.

When I play a JRPG I want to be facing grossly overpowered enemies that require the tactical use of offense and defense, leaving you barely scraping through fights with a satisfied ‘phew’ at every battle summary screen. I dont want to press A over and over and over(with the occasional paradigm shift), I want to be made to think about my weaknesses and the enemies weaknesses and chose abilities/spells to exploit/cover those weaknesses. It should be like a game of chess with carefully chosen attack and counter.

FFXIII didnt do that for me. It let me have a few basic battle plans and switch between them *if I got the timing right*. Even worse was the arbirtary way healing was dealt out. *I* want to heal the player *I* think will be taking damage.

To make matters worse, you didnt even get a choice of which battle plan to use against harder enemies. If you picked the wrong paradigm you were wiped, simple as, so it became more of a game of trial and error under the pressure of a timelimit, rather than a thinking strategic game.

17. Patrick Garratt

I’ve added a note to this.

“Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with either Gawker or Kotaku. It’s a community member posting the image.”

18. kupocake

Dear Gawker troll.

Before attempting an easy hoax, please attempt basic spelling and grammar.

Signed, a concerned citizen.

19. Deacon

I’m surprised to see that quite a few people dislike XIII’s battle system.

@16, Gadzooks – have you played Lost Odyssey ?
    Their system sees you controlling every character, and you can focus every attack so that you maximize elemental damage, creature-type damage etc. While it certainly is detailed and thorough, it also becomes very laborious, with battles taking at LEAST a few minutes each (even the simple ones), and can take way longer.
    It’s still thoroughly enjoyable…. but when I jump from that to XIII it really hits me at how revolutionary SQenix’s battle systems are becoming.

You mentioned healing. Well just make one of your healers your main char so you can control what spells and who they are going on.

I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t recall every losing a battle simply as I was in the wrong starting paradigm.

I think XIII’s system has plenty of depth and strategy. I just think maybe some people are put off as it all happens so fast.

20. cloud_ix

they spelt the word announce wrong in the first line… lol

21. cloud_ix

also.. can’t wait to share my nuts with friends…

22. DaMan

FFs stopped having decent storylines the moment they tried to become mature (FF7), FF XII ‘s plot while not being anything great at least vindicated the series.

the difference betweens storylines in Snes FFs and PSX FFs is kind of the same as between the ones you write as a child and as a teen. the former make you smile, while the latter make you cringe thinking ‘Wtf is this shit?’

Cloud was a soldier, then he wasn’t, then he was but forgot everything.. then he wasn’t but he knew a buddy who was the one.. then he wasn’t but he still forgot something and then his remaining memory merged with the memory of a guy who was… or perhaps he was a clone…

that sums up the game well. perfect for the forums definetely, not a great example of a story though. it’s as much of a decent plot as a pathetic loser which was Sephi is an example of a badass villain.

I just hope they go back to the likes of Vagrant Story now that it’s apparent traditional jrpgs are quickly losing their relevance anyway.

23. Lounds

FFIX was the best one imo, it was a classic FF game and it stayed true to the series imo and the characters were epic, story line was fun and battle system was spot on.

24. Dralen

I like fast battles in JRPG’s. FFXIII did that. Another good battle system is Tales of Vesperia, it’s fast, but it’s realtime combat and requires more tactical awareness over stat’s awareness.

25. Rosseu

Really hope this is true.
    While I love Star Ocean and the Tales series combat system, I’d have to say I love FFXII’s more than XIII’s. And please no old school turn-based system anymore.