Crysis 2 for PC to officially get DirectX 11 patch

Friday, 8th April 2011 19:04 GMT By John Callaham

After weeks of speculation, Crytek has finally announced that there will indeed be a DirectX 11 patch released for Crysis 2.

In a post on the game’s official message boards, a Crytek rep stated: “We would like to announce that there will be a DX11 patch released for Crysis 2. We are working to get the best out of DX11, so we’ll wait to announce the features until a little closer to release.”

Many PC gamers who bought and then installed Crysis 2 on their gaming PC rigs were disappointed to discover that the game was running on the DirectX 9 graphical API.

Even with just DirectX 9 support most reviews have said the PC port is still one of the best looking PC games of 2011.

There’s no date on the DX11 patch’s release yet.

1. Maximum Payne

I hope there would be improvements and not to be gimmick like in Dragon Age 2.I don’t know how much graphic is improved in AvP or Lost Planet when using DX11?
    I finished Crysis 2 twice on PC and still cant get enough of it.I just love the game.

2. Talkar

I have no idea why people want dx11 so much for this game, it won’t do Crysis 2 that good. The biggest thing in dx11 is tesselation, and Crysis won’t really utilize it that well, since there are no big areas, not in SP and not in MP.

3. DSB

@2 I’m fairly sure that most people don’t have a clue what DX11 is, including myself.

It’s just a question of thinking “11 is more than 10, I want that!”

I want my 11. It’s one more than ten, and it has two 1′s instead of one 1!

That’s a 100% increase in 1′s!!!

4. Erthazus

@3, Direct X11 is tesselation/displacement, direct X11 MSAA, subsurface scattering, enchanced bloom, apex clothing, high quality shadows, bokeh depth of field, shadowed point light reflections and etc.

direct X11 is not just some strange number.

5. Hunam

Is Crysis 2 only 32 bit or does it have 64 bit too?

6. Edo

How about fixing retarded A.I.,and myriad of other bugs,and no,first 2 patches didn’t fix a damn thing!!

7. DSB

@6 Hear hear. I don’t think there’s any hope for the AI, it’s borked by design.

@4 Christ man :P Does Urkel know you stole his personality?

Who. On earth. Would know. That. Or care.

8. NeoSquall

I don’t want a DX11 patch, I just want to be able to login in the multiplayer with my damn account.

9. Hakkiz

Adding DX11 sounds nice. But to be fair, the game doesn’t really need it. It’s already insanely beatiful piece of art. And it’s much lighter on hw than some other recent PC games…

10. Tamo123

Good I might actually buy this game now. The other crappy bugs I’ve been hearing about should be fixed via patching, not a clue about the AI as I refuse to buy it in it’s current state, watching friends play does not justify as ‘playing it’.

Information is power and I do care and know about DirectX 11 features and the insane offerings it has to offer compared to the weak DirectX 10 WHEN used ‘properly’. If you don’t care, then that’s fine, but don’t put others down because you don’t.

Insanely beautiful my ass lol, it is really crap. I’ve watched my friends play it and it looks god awful on PC. Crytek fucked up with this game big time.

11. DSB

@10 Wow… Graphics tech information for games… Is power?

Seriously, you guys need to down the Dungeons and Dragons for a week and go outside a little.

I’m a gamer. I PLAY games, I’m not there to count pixels, and I don’t jerk off to the code that make ‘em up. If it looks great, like Crysis 2, I’m fine.

What kind of a pansy stops to count pixels when there’s a game to be played?

Nobody cares about DX except for a few developers who have a stake in it, and a seriously marginalized group of anal PC gamers, who will never be accomodated either way.

Making it one of the main arguments against a game with as much wrong with it as Crysis 2, just makes you look like a guy who isn’t concerned about how the thing actually plays, but is just really desperate to put it down with the quickest, dumbest argument you can grab.

12. bpcgos

If crytek serious, an Open setting of New York is possible to include in this DX 11 patch and not just better texture or polished effect and updated HLSL! I would love that

13. Tamo123

@ 11

ALL information is power.

I’ve seen the gameplay, that’s dumbed down too. Read ‘I’ve watched my friends play it’ gameplay sucks ass and is dumbed down. You enjoy taking shit and having console ports, but I don’t.

You are the type of person that fucks the whole PC gaming community up, developers see and know about people like you and they can get away with it.

The fact you blindly defend it proves just how dumb you are.

Are you fucking retarded? Do you seriously believe counting pixels = DirectX 11? No offence, but I’m stopping the comment now, you just don’t have any shred of brain power at all.

14. DSB

Hahaha, you really should’ve stopped it way before that champ :P

90% of all information is completely irrelevant. Context is power, maybe, but that still has absolutely fuck all to do with a gratuitous passtime like videogames.

I wrote pages worth of fairly well argued criticism in the Crysis 2 thread in the forum. As a person who’s, you know, actually played the game and all.

Most PC games today are console ports, so the fact that we’re all still buying hardware and investing in the format pretty much means that we don’t mind the state of affairs all that much.

I can jade with the best of ‘em about the good ol’ days in the 90′s when the platforms were all segregated, but those days are long gone.

Making ourselves look like idiots by obsessing about minor details that mean little to the actual gameplay, should be the least of our worries. Most of the stoic PC genres have been all but wiped out, but by all means, let’s whine our fucking asses off, that these console ports don’t utilize our hardware 100%.

Talk about missing the fucking point :P

15. Tamo123

You are epically stupid, it’s unreal. However, you make a fair point, although you are nothing more than a tool that is happy with sub par quality and game play. Guess I better joined you people, things won’t change now.

Again, ALL information is power, however irrelevant, all information is worth ‘something’ and should never be disregarded.

16. Big_Boss

@DSB You are the cancer that’s killing PC gaming. Fuk you!

@Tamo123 You have my respect for keeping your cool longer than I would have. Unfortunately it isn’t much use arguing with braindead assholes like DSB.

17. Edo

Why would anyone play a game that is broken anyway(whether it is DX 9 or DX 11),I mean just how big of a gfx whore can you be?!?!

18. YoungZer0

@4: Guess someone watched the Unreal Engine 3 Tech Video …

@7: Everybody who watch the Unreal Engine 3 Tech Video. He nearly copied every single one of the things mentioned.

Tell me if i’m wrong, but doesn’t DX feature depend on the Engine?

19. ududy

DSB, while completely reasonable, has made the fatal mistake of attributing a similar mature intelligence to forum kiddies. And Tamo123, your melodramatic claim that all information is power and has value reminds me of a great short story by Stanislaw Lem, about a space pirate that believes the same. It doesn’t end well for him.