Naughty Dog wants Uncharted 3 to be the “go-to game” for multiplayer on PS3

Saturday, 2nd April 2011 17:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Naughty Dog has said in the latest edition of GamePro Magazine, that it had learned some lessons when creating multiplayer in Uncharted 2, and that with Uncharted 3, it wants it to be the “go-to game for PS3 multiplayer.”

In the article, via Uncharted Central, the developer admits the multiplayer in Uncharted 2 could have been better had it more time to work on it, and with Uncharted 3, it looked to games such as Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood and Red Dead Redemption for inspiration.

The firm also revealed that its Uncharted 2 lab tests found that in multiplayer, damage and health aspects should be “the same or similar to single player.”

Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception is slated for a November 1 release in the US.

Thanks, ScrawlFX.

1. Gekidami

Rumour has it (abit of an old rumour now, mind) the game has split screen this time:

If ND really want this to be the “go to” PS3 MP game, they’ll have to make more of an effort on the number of default maps. There was nowhere near enought in UC2 to keep me interested for long, and i’m not buying DLC just to bring the number of maps up to the acceptable amount that should have been on the disc from the start.

2. Kuwabara

right now im just concerned about campaign mode besting uc2!

3. Erthazus

“Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood and Red Dead Redemption for inspiration”

Oh jesus… Shitty multiplayer confirmed. Great inspiration Naughty Dog. Thats exactly where you should not look to.
    Better to look to the Killzone 3 then these 2 games which had a flawed multiplayer.
    I think they have a great material. Unreal tournament, Battlefield, Modern warfare 1, Gears Of war 2-3 (! ! ! ! ! !), ArmA 2 and etc.

Uncharted 2 multiplayer was ok, but thats because of the mechanics and maps that didn’t used climbing much, until latest DLC packs. But that was too late.

and how they are going to enchance the multiplayer? I don’t see nothing much to be honest. The best way is to include vehicles such as jeeps or ATV, destruction.

4. onlineatron

I like that they are looking to games that try and offer more than just your standard COD experiences.

Both AssCreedBro and Red Dead lean towards more emergent gameplay, putting you in situations (holing up with friends in a house in Red Dead free-roam when bandits suddenly attack) that not everyone will experience.

If Uncharted 3 can inspire moments like that, then I’ll probably play the multiplayer more than I did Among Thieves.

5. YoungZer0

AC: Brotherhood and RDR had really unique MP Modes. I’m very excited.

6. reask

Just give me ffa and I will be happy.

7. OrbitMonkey

Pfft, it better not be zombies -_-

8. The1stMJC

The Uncharted 3 multiplayer was pretty popular and well supported with DLC and XP weekends so I can’t wait to see what they do for Uncharted 3. As long as they don’t fuck it up like Guerrilla Games did with Killzone 3 I ‘ll be happy.

9. mathare92

Never got around to playing RDR online. Nat type 3 and all. :(

10. Thalius

RDR was a great multiplayer but AC: Brotherhood?????? It has to be most shittiest MP i haver played in my life.

IMO, UC2 Multiplayer isnt that bad its kinda fun actually.

11. Gekidami

Maybe they’re looking at AssCreedBro in terms of how the game has climbing incorporated into the MP, and its assassinations. I mean, we already know that Drake can now air assassin enemies just like in AC.

I dont think we should take it too literally, i doubt we’ll see any of the game modes from Brotherhood in UC3, or anything like that.

Not sure about RDR though, its most noticable online feature is the open world (other then that nothing really stands out) and i really cant imagine something like that being in UC3.

12. osric90

Look at what one has to read nowadays. Go for it ND, go for it, you’re closer to perfection than ever and you don’t need inspiration from anywhere but your writers and artists.

13. LOLshock94

@3 that is the funnyest thing ive heard on the this site

14. strikkebil

plunder from U2 MP is the best MP mode this gen. and U2 is one of the best MP games this gen. too bad many ppl dismissed it cos of all the “nooooo uncharted is singleplayer!!” nerd rage. u missed out on one hell of a game.

15. Christopher Jack

AC Brotherhood wasn’t bad actually, just the closed off CoD zombies don’t want any new or different experience.
    RDR is a great MP game, dozens of modes & the awesome free roam mode, couldn’t ask for much more in that game.
    UC2 MP was actually pretty good IMO, just didn’t feel very polished compared to the SP.

16. JimFear-666

eww i think the acb online portion was horrible. I hate when you cant move only because someone behind you is on his way to kill you.

17. Christopher Jack

I don’t see ACB having any effect on UC3 MP unless they’re talking about the maps or maybe the gameplay mechanics since both of these games are renown for their parkour systems, I reckon more developers should take notice.

18. TD_Monstrous69

Truly, this is the only thing that’s had me a bit concerned since Uncharted 3 was announced (that and Eliza Dushku being the one introducing the game at Spike’s VGA’s, just seemed like a bad omen, the chick from WET). Though I do think Nauighty Dog could cetainly pull off compelling multiplayer (and I do admire them for trying to take on the big guns of online multiplayer), I truly hope that they don’t spend too much time trying to make compelling multiplayer that it has any affect on the single player campaign, which has undeniably been Uncharted’s bread and butter since Drake’s Fortune (the 1st game for anyone who didn’t play it). Also, as great a success the Uncharted franchise has been, and how known it is in the gaming world, it’d still have a big uphill battle if it really wants to be the go-to online miltiplayer experience for the PS3. Because this has mainly been a franchise more known for its epic single player than multiplayer, which was only brought in by the last game, Among Thieves. Also, last time I checked, Battlefield 3′s coming this fall, and Activision’s also releasing another Call Of Duty game this year (and lets face it, no matter how much you complain about expansive map packs or huge creative strain Activision puts on the developers of these games, you’re still gonna buy it, and possibly hate yourself for doing it). Though if Naughty Dog can deliver on content such as map packs and character add ons (which is something Call of Duty doesn’t even do [character add ons that is]) at more of a frequent pace compared to EA or Activision, then I’d say they’ve definitely got a shot. I will say though, if they do pull this off, then you’ve definitely gotta say that Naughty Dog is quite possibly the best developer of this generation (if not already up there).

19. Christopher Jack

^^Only CoD game I’ve ever bought was World @ War & that was preowned. If I see Black Ops for less than $20 I’d get it, but RRP is still at $110 & preowned is normally sitting at $105, remembering that the Australian Dollar is on par with the US dollar.

20. darksied

As long as they DON’T do what #3 is saying, then I’m fine with it. Killzone 3 has to be the most boring shooter from that list, and is miles behind every other game you listed. As long as uncharted 3′s multiplayer is nothing like Killzone 3, I’ll be fine with it.

21. OrbitMonkey

More of those online co-op maps, they were cool. Can’t remember if it had split screen co-op… if it has, even better. No skeleton mp skins plz. Personally I don’t think their gunning for COD’s crown, I think they got Gears in their sights.

22. Christopher Jack

Uncharted is a 3rd person action game, it doesn’t need to be like every other shooter on the market Erthazus, that would be awful, if you want a 3rd person shooter based on 1st person shooter values, wait for Gears of War or SOCOM.

I’d rather play a RDR stylized MP game than Killzone or CoD, except Uncharted has a lot of parkour to take advantage of but I’d like to see a deeper hand-to-hand & melee weapon combat system, kind of like what True Crime was going to offer =\

Assassins Creed: Brotherhood’s MP could have been better if it were more than Assassinate & hide/run, but I understand that because of the time-line, lack of ranged weaponry & what not, it would have been incredibly difficult to do more without completely ripping apart & redoing the combat system.

23. Lounds

Uncharted was the best SP game I’ve ever played, it reminded me of the prince of persia games on PS2 only modern and with guns. Also the first game imo is much more fun than number 2, I found number too had too many action pieces that took me away from the game e.g. first level on UC2 I climb to top of a train cart “Boom” i go flinging back, wtf dude I just want to play my game.

24. Erthazus

@20, i didn’t said Killzone 3 is the best for inspiration, i said better to use Killzone 3 as the example then these two games they mentioned you TWAT which had OK multiplayer.
    Inspiration does ot mean that they will copy the game. If you know shit about content and how developers learn from each other i suggest you to fuck off to your cave and shut up. By the ay, Naughty dog always have conversation with Guerrilla and all Sony’s first Party studios.

@#22
    Christopher Jack, the main purpose of the Uncharted multiplayer was a Gears Of war knock off from the start. Like it or not, but thats they way they are going to do it.

RDR stylized multiplayer was an interesting idea, but again, it was not that polished compared to the singleplayer.
    I like multiplayer and singleplayer and while singleplayer is top notch, multiplayer in Uncharted 2 was not polished and if Sony wants to be first, they need to look at the examples of the Unreal Tournament, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, Gears Of war which are THE BEST in the multiplayer space.

25. viralshag

I actually liked the AC:B MP… Maybe I’m just nuts but I thought it was nice to have something a little bit different. With a few improvements it could be really good.

@24, I don’t think they left those FPS games you mention off the list because they are not good examples of good MP. It’s more to do with the fact that RDR and AC:B share more similarities with UC or even that they do want to do something a little more left field than just standard deathmatch games.

26. Christopher Jack

@24, Calm down, you act as if I personally offended you. The MP in RDR is by far much greater than any plain shooter in terms of quality & quantity, RDR just lacked a little in gameplay mechanics & suffered from a repetitive terrain.

Would have been killer to release it with a map editor like Far Cry 2.

The sole difference between Uncharted & RDR/AC is that UC is a linear adventure game while RDR/AC are sandboxs.

27. Lounds

The original UT was the best MP on the planet

28. polygem

hmmm…i found uc mp pretty boring. it was fun for a while but it was a bit clunky. didn´t hook me for long. rdr made huge promises but it failed. the mp was annoying imo…felt more like a gadget than a thought out mp experience. i hope naughty will take care of the mp because uc has huge potential for that without a doubt. i crave a good 3rd person mp. i enjoyed the shit outta the first lost planet mp when it came out. it was clunky as well – still i loved it. the maps were cool and all. postgrab was so much fun. unfortunately they didn´t improve but ruined it with lp2…that said: i´m super picky with my mp games. right now it´s BFBC2, reach and some cod games (4 and blops)…the only ones i feel worth spending some time with, especially BFBC2 is still such a killer game. mp wise i´m more excited about BF3 and brink right now…and that´s more than enough due to unavoidable time limitations this life forces upon me…

29. Lounds

@28 if you planning on getting BF3 I suggest you save penny’s and build a PC mate, it will be sooo much better

30. Christopher Jack

I find it too hard to be a graphics whore, the end result isn’t worth it with PC gaming IMO, I get what I need. From now on I’ll only get PC exclusive games on my PC, playing Dead Rising 2 & I’m suffering multiple different problems that wouldn’t affect me if I were playing on either the PC or 360, first problem is that it wants me to update through GfWL but when I try to, it acts as if I had no internet connection, the second problem is that I only get certain sounds, now I can probably fix both of these problems by doing a 20 minute Google search, but the fact is that I shouldn’t have to. Pisses me off when a game on PC that I bought thought Steam also uses GfWL interface, utter bullshit there.

I’m fine putting up with slightly weaker graphics if my game functions how a game should (I know bugs exist in console games too but these bugs that I always seem to suffer are exclusive to the PC). The most common solution is putting all the graphics settings down on to low, well then I may as well be playing a console game.

31. Lounds

Chis jack, I totally agree GfWL is utter shit, it ruined GTA4

32. DSB

@30 A-fucking-men.

People putting obnoxious DRM into their games just means I won’t buy it until it hits 10 euro or less. Simple as that. That was the case with Dead Rising 2, and it’ll be the case for Bulletstorm. I don’t care how good they might be, because they’ll never be as good as they could, and for no good reason, to anyone outside a darkened boardroom.

Sooner or later publishers are going to understand that they’re throwing money away on useless systems, and simply alienating the customers who do play by the rules.

To me a game is more than a piece of software, and as such a platform is always going to rely on more than tech. They all have neat systems, social aspects, possibilities. All three have Netflix, so what more do you want?

To me the PC is what I grew up on. From learning to use DOS to Windows 7. I like the fact that I can chill with Minecraft in one window and some great show in another. Or a chat window, or a chick blowing a goat, or whatever the hell I want in it. But really, all platforms have things like that, that endear us to them.

33. _LarZen_

Multiplayer for a game like Uncharted seams like such a big waste of time and money. The Uncharted games is all about the epic story.

This is one of the things I hate about so many games today, the hype to have multiplayer on everything……

34. reask

I agree with you 100 percent larzen.
    My neighbour got a ps3 a few weeks back so I gave him a lend of uc2.
    He knocked my door earlier asking for help with the game but un willing to concede defeat.

UC2 is a classic game imo.

35. Lounds

Uncharted is a better game imo