Beyond parody – Duke Nukem Forever delayed into June

Thursday, 24th March 2011 11:40 GMT By Johnny Cullen

2K’s confirmed, in probably the most amazing way possible, that Duke Nukem Forever has been delayed into June.

In a video it’s just sent out, featuring Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford, the dates of May 3 in the US and May 6 elsewhere are replaced by a June 10 worldwide date and June 14 in the US.

“I’m very sorry for the added delay. We’ve all been working extremely hard and are very eager to deliver the game to you,” he added in a press release just sent through by Take Two.

“I’ve been thinking of these lyrics from the great country song, ‘He’s The Duke’ – ‘He told us if we waited we could Come Get Some, but I never knew Forever was going to be so long.’ If you’re like me, June cannot come quickly enough.”

2K president Christoph Hartmann added: “We’re committed to deliver a laugh-out-loud, politically incorrect experience that people will talk about for years to come. We thank Duke’s fans for their continued patience – I promise this won’t take another 15 years.”

Watch the video below. Go, Randy, go. Or under the circumstance, not.

1. Suikoden Fan

could you imagine if your partner said she was ‘late’ as many times as this game has been?

2. Patrick Garratt

I wonder if this is a marketing ploy?

3. SLARTIBAF1

@1 wouldn’t be much of a partner, beeing late for what now? 12 years? =)
    But nice marketing here! This time I’m quite certain, we’re gonna see it for real this time. Hail to the king, baby!

4. BloodyJoe

I hope this is not going on forever!

5. Blerk

lol!

6. EscoBlades

LMFAO!!

7. Crysis

Awesome, near my B’day, good time of the year for the hidden jewels of gaming.

8. Lloytron

Duke Nukem Forever delayed!

In other news, bear poop found in woods! Water confirmed as not being 100% dry! Pope exposed as not being an athiest!

:P

9. Panou

Awww, f*ck’em all… =/

Anyway, that’s a “funny” to way to announce it, but this situation really begins to be ridiculous.

10. Psychotext

Stranger than fiction.

11. Freek

Amazing news, amazing video :D

12. mojo

2: what i thought too

anyway, i love it.
    u just have to love it!

13. Lounds

i love how the guy has been told to act how gamers would, WHAT THIS IS BULLSHIT!

14. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Gotta say – nice delivery.

15. DSB

NO. WAY.

There are like millions of Duke fans signing up for therapy right now.

16. ManuOtaku

You know what it will be funny guys if gearbox gets close, then this project goes to another dev, delayed again, and then repeat, and endless cycle 8D, so it is stay true to the name duke nukem forever to arrive

17. The_Red

Hmmm… meta!
    But seriously, I was really worried for a minute that DNF would really come out on May without furthur delays. That would have simply been wrong.

18. railbird13

I don’t think this is a bad (and hopefully final) delay for this game. Would have been sandwiched between Portal 2/Mortal Kombat/Socom 4 in April and LA Noire/Brink in May otherwise. Seriously 2011, stop destroying my wallet so early, not like it’s going to ease up come fall/winter this year either.

Still think it’ll sell bonkers regardless.

19. hitnrun

“2K president Christoph Hartmann added: “We’re committed to deliver a laugh-out-loud, politically incorrect experience that people will talk about for years to come.”

I’m already getting tired of nervous 21st Century PR reps try to reframe Duke as “satire,” rather than a celebration of things that are awesome.

20. theevilaires

Oh boy this better be the best FPS ever.

21. tmac2011

okay this is way overboard, this is taking longer than GT5 and MGS4. there trying to piss people off to make them want the game more.

22. LOLshock94

THEY DELAYED IT FOR A MONTH YOU FUCKING NERDS

23. pukem0n

NO, a month and a WEEK! dude -.-

24. YoungZer0

Duke never comes early, indeed.

That was hilarious.

25. Johnny Cullen

The summer months are a perfectly quiet period for the industry. And when you have Portal and Mortal Kombat as well as LA Noire and Brink in between – as pointed out above – I say 2K did the right move with the delay.

It’d still be hilarious if it was still continuously pushed, though. :D

26. Bikki

This isn’t fun at all.

27. NeoSquall

I was going to get it for my birthday (May 6th) and now they ruined it :’(

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

28. StolenGlory

I know your pain (sort of).

My birthday is May 5th :)

29. Lehnsherr

I actually have a friend on the development team. He says they pulled him off of another project months ago to help finish Duke. The majority of the Gearbox staff has been flown to Vancouver to work on the final stages. They are not playing around. I assure you, the delay is for good reason. It will be here soon, and it will be epic!

30. Kysshin

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

At least the video was funny…

31. Moonwalker1982

Can’t say i care much. Every video i’ve seen so far screams mediocre, absolutely nothing special. Of course i can’t know for sure, but i don’t see why people are excited anymore.

32. threadzilla

@ 25 seems like summer time could actually be good for this game. I view it as a good time to release because it isn’t crowded with all the games of spring that have come out. Seems like it worked well for the original infamous. This move might get me to try it, if it hadn’t been delayed then I probably would never try it due to all the other releases coming out soon.

33. Noodlemanny

Iv’e always liked the fact this game is called DNF its so ironic.