Microsoft: Games on Demand about “convenience,” not thrift

Thursday, 17th March 2011 22:28 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft has responded to criticism of its Games on Demand pricing in the wake of Halo: Reach’s £49.99 price tag.

“No one retailer has the lowest pricing for every product, and our program is about giving people 24-7 convenience and selection when shopping for Xbox 360 games,” a Microsoft spokesperson told Eurogamer.

“We’re incredibly excited about what Games on Demand means for digital distribution, and will continue to evaluate and evolve the service to meet market and consumer demands.”

Halo: Reach is one of a small number of Games on Demand releases with price tags far higher than retail equivalents; Modern Warfare 2 is another egregious example.

1. triggerhappy686

Why why why why why?? Have they no shame??

2. monkeygourmet

Drunken convenience! :)

It is a joke seriously, £50 for a game without a disc, box or manual…

Tis bollocks says i…

They could at least throw in the DLC for the game as a good will gesture lol

3. monkeygourmet

Also, anyone know how they give you the online code to unlock multiplayer on games like Bad Company 2?

Or do you have to pay for it again even though it’s not technically a 2nd hand purchase?

4. _LarZen_

Think Microsoft is mixing 24 x 7 convenience with just plain greed.

Myself call it stupidity.

5. DSB

@2 Dude, we pay to get rid of it :P

Manuals are PDF’s now. It’s not like most developers even bother to make proper ones anyway.

Ditto the boxes. If you want some cheap plastic taking up space on your bookcase, you can have it. I’ll gladly pay to be rid of it.

Really it’s only collector’s editions and Blizzard releases that are worth looking at today. Back in the day we’d get a huge, rainforest-destroying box filled with different manuals and books and posters, but today it’s all so token (including a lot of the collectors stuff) that Steam will do just fine.

6. monkeygourmet

Thats true, i still love the smell of a new manual in the morning though! ;)

7. triggerhappy686

LOL I love my retail boxes. Infact I pay extra for the massive chunky boxes and the nice steel books. They all look nice sitting on my shelf :)

8. Pokeh

@3 With Bad Company 2 you have to buy the game and then buy the VIP Code.

9. Dralen

Convenience pfft. That’s f**king bull!

10. drewbles82

24 X 7, Have they not heard of TESCOS. Rather go there, pay probably 20-25 quid for it, get myself loads of munchies and refreshments at the same time.
    Maybe they are waiting for Nuclear fallout, where we will all have 2 stay indoors.
    I dont know any1 who buys games on demand and if you are one of those ppl, u must not care bout money or ur thick. If i wanted, i could prob pick up 5 full games that are on Games on demand for the price of Halo reach thats on there.

11. Blerk

It certainly isn’t about thrift!

I don’t think they’re ‘stupid’, though – they’re obviously selling copies at this price, otherwise they wouldn’t be this price. It’s the people who are buying it who possibly need to re-evaluate their common sense.

12. DiodeX

OMG, I paid £15 from Play Asia for it 2 months ago!!
    Smells of ME2 on the PS3!

13. Bond James Bond

Steam offers 24/7 convenience but you don’t see them charging 50 notes, sorry but at the prices you see on PSN and GOD DD on consoles is for complete fools only. If DD is indeed the future of gaming, the future is very bright for the good old PC and quite bleak for consoles.

14. OlderGamer

I buy games from GoD. Not many, but one once in awhile. I am on my thrid xb360, and the disc reader broke. Buying digital is the only way to go for me. And even if I do replace this xb360, using digital means that the disc reader won’t need to work as much.

That being said #13 poster is 100% correct.

GoD games are often stupidly over priced. But if publishers had their way their games would never be sold used, and the “value”(read price) of said games would never decrease. Thats the only thing I worry about moving forward toward digital only distribution. Because its coming at some point.

I use Steam also and often wait for their weekend deals or midweek blow outs to get games.

As a side note, just like DSB, having a shelf full of boxes does nothing for me anymore. I already have way too many of them these days anyways. What I am also worried about tho, is that I can walk to that shelf, pick up a box, and play the game. If the current digital delivery systems fold up and close down, I will not be able to use those digitaly bought games. I already have games that I bought on xboxone arcade that I can not play today. MS closed down xboxone LIVE and made me rebuy those games on its newer xb360 Live. And that could be a disturbing trend.