Homefront sells 375,000 on day one in North America

Wednesday, 16th March 2011 19:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

THQ has announced that Homefront sold approximately 375,000 units in North America during its first day of availability.

THQ seems rather pleased with the figures as per the following quotes pulled from the press release:

“Homefront’s excellent multiplayer experience, combined with our commitment to dedicated servers, make this a must-have purchase for gamers,” said Danny Bilson, EVP Core Games.

“Due to the strong and growing demand for Homefront’s multiplayer, we continue to add dedicated server capacity. We are confident that the large-scale multiplayer maps featuring 32 players, vehicles, infantry and drones, will continue to be a major draw for the huge audience of FPS gamers looking for a new experience over the coming months.”

“We are delighted with first day sales for Homefront and are already fulfilling re-orders for the game from multiple retailers,” said Brian Farrell, THQ President and CEO.

Yesterday, reviews for the game went live, and scores were all over the place. A lot of reviews were critical of the single-player portion of the game, but most seemed rather impressed with the multiplayer portion.

Kaos Studios said earlier today that should Homefront 2 be developed, it would consider making the single-player portion of the game more robust, providing it didn’t take away from the multiplayer end.

Stock in THQ fell 26 percent at the close of NASDAQ yesterday to $4.40 per share, and as of this post, stock in the firm is back up to $4.61 per share and seems to climb and fall by the penny per minute.

Homefront lands in the UK on Friday for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. EscoBlades

Oops….

2. Xuchilbara

I think its funny how dev’s still call 32 players “Large-scale”. The only companies IMO, that has the right to use that anymore is Dice and Zipper.

3. Patrick Garratt

Just goes to show.

4. loki

I do not believe THQ about 375,000 units. I better wait VGchartz and NPD numbers.
    PS Homefront sucks only idiots spend money on this shit

5. Patrick Garratt

They can’t lie to their shareholders. NPD will have a final figure, as you say.

6. reask

I will probably rent it to check out multi.
    That aspect of game seems to be getting the best reviews.

7. Joe Anderson

@4 VG Chartz numbers, lol. I could roll six dice and get the same figure they will.

8. Gekidami

So the hefty marketing worked then.

9. Razor

Wow, already outsold KZ3 :)

10. Naaame

@9 It’s outsold KZ3 cause Homefront available on all 3 platforms -_-”

11. Maximum Payne

”I think its funny how dev’s still call 32 players “Large-scale”.”
    For console game 32 players is large scale.Because Cod games have 18 players support and BC2 have 24 players.

12. theevilaires

This game almost seems like its based on the game freedom fighters for last gen. That was a good game….. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnKRuwmQXSo

13. OrbitMonkey

@9 Nice Troll bait :)
    @10 You sure its not cuz its a better game?

14. Gekidami

^ You cant complement troll bait then cast some of your own. Its against the rules. :P

15. Nozz

@12 Freedom fighters was such a great underrated game!!

It’s weird because im hearing mixed results about this game. Some say they love it save for a few problems and some went back to CoD/BFBC2.

May pick this up on the cheap… If people are still playing ofc.

16. Peetry

I can’t see this doing well in Europe really, as a big FPS fan I’m not interested at all.

17. xino

don’t be so naive.

is not as if 1 gamer would buy Homefront for both ps3 and 360.
    pc version is ridiculously cheap, always around £25.

the reason why it outsold trash killzone 3 was because of the heavy marketing THQ did which is working, but let’s hope it can make 2million. They spent a lot of money on marketing right now.

People just didn’t buy killzone 3 because it’s overhyped, it’s not their type of game because pacing is too slow and people wait for homefront and COD.

18. Joe Anderson

@18 Killzone 3 is an excellent game, each to their own though I guess.

19. OrbitMonkey

@14 Curses, foiled again! :( *hangs up trollhat*

20. Erthazus

If someone mentions Killzone 3. Playstation fanboys are gathering at that thread defending that game and calling other trolls because someone said truth :D

I love it.

21. Nozz

@17 Surely it being multi-platform would mean a much larger pool of customers for Homefront?…

22. DSB

Sold? Shipped? Sold?

Had to be done.

Still, the market isn’t exactly rallying on that statement, so I’m guessing that for those numbers, there’s a lot of investors out there who aren’t convinced.

Their stock chart still looks like someone beat it with a sledgehammer.

23. chriswhaaat

hmm…seems fake to me

24. stretch215

homefront is actually pretty good for mp, there are some pretty nice maps and the dynamic objective system brings some freshness to the basic modes. Don’t expect a lot of polish but worth playing.

25. jacobvandy

I would bet that it includes the pre-orders, too, so it’s NOT a true Day 1 “this many people went out to buy it” figure.

26. DSB

@25 Are they allowed to count that as a sale? I mean, the money has already changed hands at that point.

It’s not very transparent.

27. OrbitMonkey

@24 Poor man’s COD, or does it stand on its own legs?

28. pukem0n

cod already is the poor man’s cod…

29. jacobvandy

They’re allowed to call whatever they want a sale, noone’s stopping them. But remember when Blizzard announced that StarCraft II was setting sales records for the first day, they included all of the pre-release digital sales. Homefront had how many, like 200,000 pre-orders? So even if some of those customers didn’t follow through, this number they’re calling “day one sales” is probably actually half that.

30. bpcgos

@12 Agree with you TEA, except for the single player gameplay!Both share the same setting and atmosphere, though! Freedom Fighter 2003 gameplay way much better than this COD clone, and I’m pretty sure todays console still capable enough to handle it because it looks like that they not spend much console limited resources on graphic department.
    Why oh why everything have to be rail shooter this day! It makes us like an idiot .

31. stretch215

@27 more like a poor man’s cod with some nice additions. The battle point system is cool as it rewards you for doing more than just killing. Also, some of the maps are enormous and foster vehicle warfare more than others but there are no restrictions as to what vehicle you can use on what map. If you’ve earned the points you can spend them on whatever. Like I said earlier it’s not very polished but i’ll be sinking at least 20-30 hrs. into the mp.

32. xino

from Michael Pacher:
    “After several hours, however, you realize it’s actually just half of a great game. A four hour campaign, no split-screen, and only two multiplayer modes make Homefront literally half of other AAA FPS games that it’s trying to compete with. What’s there is brilliant, Kaos and THQ just forgot to give us a game worthy of $60.””

now it makes sense!
    These people think they can take a piss! 4hour game, no split screen/co-op ad 2 multiplayer maps!

what a piece take! they think they can use the MW approach by charging for 4 new maps so many would buy due to 2 only maps.

they deserve the low sales! And I’m make sure I rent ANY game that has a 4hour lenght campaign!

farking pricks!

33. Crysis

“2 multiplayer maps” 2 modes you tool, it has 8 maps.

34. xino

finally played the game!

this game is not even a 7/10!

the graphics are crap! like a PSN game, lacks AA so much!
    The graphics isn’t the problem…my grip is the damn bad game designing!

So far the story is good! I love the epic and cinematic moments! I love the feeling of the game, it’s more realistic than other fake shooters who take themselves too seriously yet not even realistic enough in terms of story!

MW1 & 2 are the closest to being realistic but more cinematic:)
    I’ll always love MW games for it’s campaign.

i don’t think I’ll bother trying this game’s multiplayer:/

definitely a 6/10!

35. freedoms_stain

lol @32, where are you from man? I bet they do think they can take a piss, in fact I believe whole heartedly that everyone at KAOS is fully capable of taking a piss.

Also, not playing the multiplayer would be a mistake on your end I think.

36. guapo

@ xino ” MW1& 2 are the closest to being realistic but more cinematic” LOL you’re joking, right? You’re entire post is a contradiction. First you say: “This game not even a 7/10″ then you say: “So far the story is good! I love the epic and cinematic moments! I love the feeling of the game ….” Dude, what are you smoking and can I have some PLEASE. If you’re not smoking some killer kush you reeally should think before you type. You should also really play the mp because it’s the best part of the game. I had a marathon session last night and I really enjoyed myself. HUGE maps that are really packed with vehicles by the end of the match, a good selection of guns ( most of which you can’t see until you unlock them), some cool perks (not overpowered), and good gun balancing. Don’t get me wrong, this is far from a perfect game, but WELL worth playing for the mp alone. $60 worth ? That’s for you guys to decide, but I don’t regret my purchase. At the very least pick it up used and buy an online pass.