Rumour – Ubi-sponsored NGP survey suggests $350 price

Wednesday, 16th March 2011 11:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

A recent survey has said that NGP “expected” to be priced around the $250-$350 pricepoint in the US.

The survey, conducted by research firm Toluna and sponsored by Ubisoft, said that “the retail price of the Sony NGP is expected to be around $350″ for the 3G version, and asked those taking part how likely “would you be to purchase the Sony NGP now that you know this retail price?”

For the 3G-less version, it’s mentioned to be priced at $250.

At its reveal, SCEE boss Andy House said pricing for the machine would be “affordable,” with SCE WWS head Shuhei Yoshida saying it was not going to make the same mistakes it made with the pricing of PlayStation 3 when it launched back in 2006 in the US and Japan.

“It’s not going to be $599,” Yoshida said, referring to the company’s infamous announcement at its E3 2006 press conference.

Announced as the next-gen successor to PSP in all but name at the end of January, NGP is expected to release later this year, with a November release recently rumoured for Europe.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Erthazus

250$? If it’s true then Sony can start digging a hole in the ground with this price because there is unknown demand for it.
    It’s too fucking cheap for what they offer but at the same time i’m pumped for this device.

250$ is freakin SWEAT!

2. ManuOtaku

If this ends being true, 250$ price tag i mean, i will be getting one on release day, same as with the 3DS, now i will not get my hopes high, because sony prices, in the past, were being too stepy , specially when it comes to new tech devices.

3. Lounds

I would pay £200 for non 3G and £275 for 3G

4. Lounds

a lot of people in UK expect sony to be gay and bump price to £250 for standard model.

5. get2sammyb

$250 would be an AMAZING price-point for this device.

6. get2sammyb

#4 – they probably will, but given what’s happened with the 3DS, you’d still get it for £220 while retailers fight over the best price.

7. Crysis

I’ll pay up to $350 AUD :D

8. Gekidami

lol Thats about 180€. Ofcourse it wont cost that in Europe, probably 250€.
    Still, thats a decent price, though i dont quite see why 3G would add an extra 100. Is the tech really still that expensive?

9. 2plus2equals5

What the hell? Ubisoft made a survey on ngp price… why? :|

I expect 299€/$ for the basic model and 349€/$ for the 3g one.

10. Deacon

So did the survey say how many people would buy one at those prices?

11. Moonwalker1982

As impressive as this thing is, i’m not even sure i want one. I don’t travel much, i already don’t play much handheld games and i rather just fire up a game and play it on my plasma instead of small screen.

12. Grooski

Then I’ll have yours. This is exactly what I’m after in a gaming platform. Man, I haven’t salivated over new hardware like this for years.

13. Nozz

Thats would a really good entry price! (about £155)

Can’t see it happening myself though.

14. RockTwist

£200 would tempt me, anything over that and like PSP i’d wait for a price drop.

15. lonndubh

So it’s probably going to be less than half the price of the Xperia Play?

I don’t know how the production cost would compare.

16. spiderLAW

This couldn’t come at a better time for me. I just found out that I’m getting promoted at my 9 to 5 and ill be moving to the field service department. I will be traveling to different states, countries, and continents so I will definitely need a handheld to keep me company and the 3DS hasn’t kept my interest since the week after its appearance at E3.
    $350 is steep but i guess i can just sell some of my stuff (blood? lol) so that i can afford this monster.

17. lexph3re

I don’t see how anyone can complain if their willing to pay 7-800 for and ipad that’ll be absolete with 6mnths of purchase. A 3g enabled portable ps3 for 250-350 is a crazy. Good bargain.

18. spiderLAW

@17 agreed

19. StolenGlory

@17 Agreed.

And it’s the Apple fanbois who are just jealous that the NGP never actually became the Apple iPlay.

20. jldoom

Hmm I was really hoping for the price point to help me decide which one to get in the first place between the 3DS and NPG. Guess I’ll wait it out to find out the true price of this one though, the PSP never let me down, and I’m still using my 1000 :D

21. FredEffinChopin

My guess was going to be $300, with 3G going for $350 or $400. If this is true they are going to make a lot of people very happy. Hardware like that…. Wow.

22. Lounds

I love the psp-1000

Casset like UMD slot, i love the sound when you open it

23. Dimacorgan

If it’s anywhere around that price, I’ll be there day one.

24. Dimacorgan

@11 Yeah, man, same here… but this is just too freaking sweet! I might have to be out on purpose just to use that beauty! ;-)

25. Dimacorgan

@17 +1

26. nikk900

This seems good, but if it’s $250 in the u.s, over here it will probably be £250. Hardware never gets converted properly in the exchange rate to the u.k.

27. Gekidami

Well, i’m going to assume it’ll be region free so i guess you could import form the US. For $250 the postage price would have to be unrealistically high to even come close to what the console will cost in Europe.

Hell, it might be worth importing 3 or 4 then selling them off in Europe at a profit.

28. fatwallet

Isn’t about time we got a fair US $ coversion to UK £ on consoles, handhelds and games?

If it does go for $350 Dollars, i bet the UK end up paying £300 to £350 no where near the conversion rate of $350.00 USD = £216.824 GBP on current XE.com