Team Bondi: LA Noire “will draw all types of players with various experience levels”

Wednesday, 16th February 2011 09:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Team Bondi boss Brendan McNamara has said that anticipated detective blockbuster LA Noire will bring in “all types of players,” regardless of gaming experience.

LA Noire

First announced in 2006.

In development at Sydney-based Team Bondi, headed up by ex-Getaway boss Brendan McNamara.

Uses new facial-tracking tech known as MotionScan, which captures facial expressions in the game in more detail from every angle.

Main character Cole Phelps is played by Mad Men’s Aaron Staton.

McNamara said in an interview with Paste Magazine that the game wouldn’t make life hell for newcomers, but it wouldn’t easy for the hardcore either.

“We recognize that LA Noire will draw all types of players with various levels of experience and skills,” he said.

“The goal wasn’t to make a punishingly difficult experience for newcomers, or a game that felt too easy for the hardcore. Proficiency in interrogations can reward the player in a number of ways: a new clue may surface, an expedited path to the end of the case may present itself, perhaps a side story of a character unfolds.

“We want to reward and encourage players to strive for the truth in every interrogation, but we understand that, sometimes, you just get it wrong. And that’s OK,” he continued.

“Players will never fail a case or their progress impeded for performing dismally in an interrogation. They may just have a longer road to travel to the truth. We also recognise that women appear to be much better at reading lies than men.”

McNamara said that action in the game “varies greatly from case to case,” but cases can be solved without violence most of the time. There will be times where you’ll have to get your hands dirty, though.

“For example, instead of pulling out his gun and shooting a fleeing suspect, Phelps can fire a warning shot that stops the person in their tracks,” he said.

“Other times, Phelps has little choice but to roll up his sleeves and pursue justice using deadly force. It becomes a balancing act between introducing players to a radically different type of gameplay and also maintaining a level of comfort and familiarity.”

LA Noire releases on May 17 in the US and May 20 in the UK for PS3 and 360.

1. Blerk

I’m…. not too sure about that. Everything they’ve done so far seems aimed squarely at the GTA/Red Dead audience, I somehow doubt people outside of that fanbase even realise that it exists.

2. Telepathic.Geometry

It’ll come down to the way they market it then I guess. I think games like this really depend on the marketing. Before I saw the trailer, I had almost zero interest in it, and now I’m pumped.

3. Blerk

That’s “Mad Men” by the way, Johnny. :-D

4. Johnny Cullen

What’s that, Blerk? You’re mental? Tell us something we don’t know. :)

5. xino

after experiencing Mafia 2′s lame sandbox and awesome story.
    I kinda feel bad and want to fully play GTA4 again and complete the story.

6. Dannybuoy

My interest is piqued by LA Noire, but I know what GTA and Red Dead are like. Both games that I own but got bored of pretty quick. I just don’t have time to fucking traipse across a map for the 5th time because I failed a mission again. If they can cut down on that stuff then I might buy.

7. YoungZer0

I’m actually very interested in this game. However for me, the decision to place the game in 19-Something is one that i don’t like. I’m not really getting any “Noir” Vibes from at all. It’s always so sunny in the trailers. I hope the full game looks better than the stuff we have seen so far.

8. Maximum Payne

@7 100% Agree. I wish game was more darker and violent like heavy rain for e.x. Maybe main character its not like have cop face :) Just look Vic mackey from shield or the main guy from CSI NY i don’t he is like to fensy for cop :)

9. AHA-Lambda

pre order bonus

argh fuck sake!!!

10. YoungZer0

@8: Oh i think it will be violent alright. The gameplay trailer showed a few women being gruesomely killed, but it just doesn’t “feel” dark to me. I’d also agree, that the decision of having an older and more scarred (since he’s supposed to be a WWII Hero who’s trying to do things right) looking actor would’ve been a better choice. However i think this is where gamedevelopers have to look for decent acting.