Take-Two Q3s: Red Dead Redemption sells 8 million

Tuesday, 8th February 2011 21:23 GMT By Staff

Take-Two’s announced its Q3 financial results, confirming that Red Dead Redemption has sold 8 million units.

Take-Two Q3 financials

Red Dead Redemption has sold 8 million units.

NBA 2K sold 4 million units making it the best selling game in the series ever.

Team Bondi’s LA Noire releases on the week of May 16 in the US, Europe and UK. First gameplay footage hits Wednesday.

2K will release Duke Nukem Forever, developed by Gearbox, on May 3 in US and May 6 internationally.

2K announced The Darkness II earlier today. It’ll launch this autumn for PS3, 360 and PC.

The firm expects Top Spin 4, which is out in March, to set a new standard in the tennis game genre.

The Rockstar western went on sale last May for PS3 and 360, with major DLC expansion Undead Nightmare releasing last fall digitally and at retail. However, Take-Two would not go into specifics regarding the sales split between the disc version of Undead Nightmare and the retail version.

Strauss Zelnick, chairman and CEO of Take-Two said Rockstar has proved it knows how to make hits, continue to make hits and continue supporting it’s games post release.

For the third quarter ending on December 31, net revenue was down 7 percent year-over-year, compared to $334.3 million, which is better than the company’s expected $290 to $315 million for the period. Net profits were up 7 percent to $40.8 million for the period.

The strongest contributors to net revenue and profitability in the third quarter this year included NBA 2K11, Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete, Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition, and Sid Meier’s Civilization V.

Catalog titles that contributed to the strength in the recent period were led by the Grand Theft Auto franchise. Digitally delivered content also continued to be an important component of Take-Two’s sales, particularly driven by strong sales offerings for Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands and Sid Meier’s Civilization V.

Nine-month revenue up 80 percent

For the nine-months ending on December 31, net revenue increased 80 percent year-over-year to $954.6 million. Non-GAAP income from continuing operations increased to $108.8 million, compared to a loss of $67.5 million for the year-ago period.

Strauss Zelnick, chairman and CEO of Take-Two said it was the fifth consecutive quarter the firm has met its financial expectations: “Strong holiday sales enabled Take-Two to continue to deliver
better-than-expected revenue and earnings in the third quarter. Our results year-to-date clearly demonstrate the Company’s ability to translate its world-class creative resources and diverse portfolio of triple-A franchises into meaningful profits.

“We have no update on Max Payne 3 at this time.”

“Looking ahead to the balance of the year and fiscal 2012, I have never been more enthusiastic about our diverse line-up of upcoming releases. In addition to producing triple-A titles focused on the traditional console market, we are also actively pursuing opportunities to grow our revenues by leveraging the strength of our brands in emerging markets and across new platforms and distribution channels. These include opportunities in Asia and Latin America, evolving downloadable content models and online multiplayer experiences.”

As far as the new handhelds were concerned, Zelnick said the firm is looking hard at NGP and 3DS, but is not ready to announce anything for either until it is “ready to do so.”

Take-Two’s COO Karl Slatoff said the market is continuing to grow, whether it be the installed base of consoles or digital content, and Take-Two plans to continue to be part of both in the future.

Current games slate for Take-Two:

• Top Spin 4 – Xbox 360, PS3, Wii – March 15, 2011
  • Carnival Games: Monkey See, Monkey Do – Kinect for Xbox 360 – April 2011
  • Duke Nukem Forever – Xbox 360, PS3, PC – May 3, 2011
  • L.A. Noire – Xbox 360, PS3 – May 17, 2011
  • The Darkness II – Xbox 360, PS3, PC – Fall 2011
  • Spec Ops: The Line – Xbox 360, PS3, PC – Fiscal Year 2012
  • XCOM – Xbox 360, PC – Fiscal Year 2012
  • BioShock Infinite – Xbox 360, PS3, PC – Calendar Year 2012

1. MushroomStamp

It deserved the sales.

2. RickyWicky

It deserves even more.

I finished it a few days ago and bought the Undead Nightmare DLC. All worth it :D

And, please, blackdreamhunk better not come and filthy this page with his nonsense.

3. blackdreamhunk

dump people buying uncreative fanbase hating game devs

4. The1stMJC

Daaaamn. Well deserved and wow has Take 2 been on a role. Let’s see if LA Noire keeps the pace going.

5. Moonwalker1982

Very dump people yeah,lol.

6. Stephany Nunneley

I know plenty of “dump” people, personally. :P

7. Moonwalker1982

Hahah.

8. loki

Looke like Rockstar save T2 from bankruptcy.
    And again NO PC -path to victory

9. blackdreamhunk

yea look all t hem console game devs go bankrupt these days so when is Microsoft and Sony going to release them new consoles? I hope soon so I can see some more bankrupt game devs!!

10. Callum

@2 it does indeed man. Fantastic game, and home to one of my favourite gaming moments of all time no less!

11. Keivz

GTA IV is my favorite game of this generation and I played it on a PC. I’ve got a PS3 but I’m begging you Rockstar, please release a PC version of RDR. Pretty please!

12. blackdreamhunk

I wonder how many people just bought them game because of media hype?? I rather spend my money on creative and respectful games devs that care about their games and fan base.

13. blackdreamhunk

I wonder how many people just bought the game because of media hype?? I rather spend my money on creative and respectful games devs that care about their games and fan base.

Oh pc gamers don’t need any more rockstar games on pc we have like billion other games to play and respectful game devs. Them console can have all the losers they are use it with all them mindless button smashing games.

we don’t need any more loser game devs that don’t respect their fanbase garbage and make garbage games

14. Crysis

If you don’t like R*, don’t buy their fucking games & STFU, do you really think that your pointless trolling will achieve ANYTHING!? grow up you pathetic child.

15. blackdreamhunk

at crysis how about you don’t stick your noise in the middle posts. I did not start this fanboy garbage

16. blackdreamhunk

@14 how about you go cry me a river

17. Crysis

I’m not looking @ your trolling links, fuck off.

18. blackdreamhunk

Crysis

really your the stocking me

19. blackdreamhunk

@Crysis

in fact you stock me from across the other thread go cry me a river console fanboy

20. blackdreamhunk

h@Crysis

how about this you don’t like what I have to say maybe you should not reply

21. Crysis

A better alternative would be for you to stop trolling & what’s with the spam? Do you really need 3 posts in a row? Really?

22. blackdreamhunk

@Crysis

if any one is trolling it’s you and your stocker too!

23. blackdreamhunk

@Crysis

if you don’t like what I have to say don’t reply

24. Blandock

Don’t feed the troll. Let him starve to death.

25. Hunam

Red Dead is one of the finest games of recent years, it has an old school PC charm to it too.

26. nofear360

Thanks for providing us with lots of LOLs, blackdreamhunk!

27. blackdreamhunk

np these people make me laugh too lol ;)

28. xino

with the massive advertising and paid journalist, Take Two deserved the prize money.

I think they even made more advertising on this game than Microsoft poured on Kinect:/

I bought this shit on ps3, just 1 month after release. No body online, graphics was wack (but details on horse was good), instantly sold the game!

29. NeoSquall

Is blackdreamhunk the new alias of back up?

30. lexph3re

Lol stocker… does he mean stalker?lol

31. OrbitMonkey

This is a little something for the people like myself, who enjoyed a damn fine game.

32. Kuwabara

Alot of profit was made , but was it worth all the heartache and mistreatment of the workers there?..

33. back_up

well deserve
    after the failure of revolver
    rockstar San Diego work hard and made fanastic game

34. CaptPierce

@blackdreamhunk

35. Timber-_-wolf

How did I know BDH would on his rant about Rockstar after this post? LOL

already did on la noire, dude some people like some people dont deal with it and stop spreading the hate

PC fanboy :P

36. Blerk

8 million is well deserved, RDR was easily my game of last year.

Interesting to see XCOM and Spec Ops on the list, they seemed to have stopped talking about those of late. But where is Agent?

37. RickyWicky

@35 – Yeah, I kinda hoped he would stay away from this page. I guess it was inevitable, though. Doesn’t seem to have much better to do.

38. Timber-_-wolf

@ 37 if he made a decent point every now and then i wouldn’t mind all he is doing is slating off console gaming
    seen as a lot of games on PC are on console as well and he says they have billions of games?
    farmville doesn’t count as a game BDH

39. Timber-_-wolf

i would love to know his top five games of all time on any console or pc?

40. RickyWicky

I think that would be easy to guess:

1. Anything by anyone other than Rockstar

and then X 5.

41. blackdreamhunk

sure made a ton of points,points you don’t want to read or hear. The reason my comments gets under your skin is because you worship “rockstar”.

Sorry I am not the type of gamer that worships any game dev or publisher. If I see something wrong I am going to say something. You don’t like my comments too bad because there is another person who will think the same way as I do.

Real gamers is about the game first.

42. blackdreamhunk

I know the gaming Industry so well I can tell who is going bankrupt and who is making money. I can tell you why this game is better than that game. I can tell why this game is popular and why this other game is not.I know all the trends in the gaming Industry. I can back this up with proof by links or video.

43. Crysis

“I can tell you why this game is better than that game” No, no you cannot, since that would be just opinion & an opinion proves nothing. R* makes popular games, no one cares that YOU hate them, heck i could bet that all your trolling is coming from the fact that R* doesn’t support the pc much, if you can go into details on EXACTLY what makes R*’s games ‘bad’ I’ll concede that R* is the Satan of gaming developers.

44. StolenGlory

“I know the gaming Industry so well I can tell who is going bankrupt and who is making money.”

Holy shit, can you really? You should be a stockbroker or something, instead of wasting your days trolling the high holy heaven out of these forums.

“I can tell you why this game is better than that game.”

You can form an informed and well-written opinion can you? An objective one at that? Don’t kid yourself.

“I can tell why this game is popular and why this other game is not.”

The self-congratulatory patting on the back for carrying out such basic human functions continues unabated I see.

“I know all the trends in the gaming Industry.”

You don’t though, do you? You’re so pro-PC and fuck all else that you quite literally know… fuck all else.

“I can back this up with proof by links or video.”

Spamming the You-Tube Borg video from TNG doesn’t count you tool and any muppet can pick and choose videos from less-than-reputable sources to try and convey the failed notion that they know what they are talking about.

Doubtless, you will reply to this with some kind of verbal excerement mired in the afterbirth of whatever generic trolling replies you can muster and as such, I really couldn’t care. Go ahead and do so.

The only thing you and your trolling bretheren should be thankful for is that Pat keeps you on the forums and is sadly oblivious to just how well cunts like you drive away folks who have actual opinions and *gasp* some degree of objectivity.

You and your tiresome, pathetic trolling ilk are a blight on this forum.

Nobody respects you, wants to hear what you have to say or pays attention to any of your rantings.

Long story short; You sir, are an oxygen thief and in lieu of being able to ignore cunts like you (either passively or through an ignore feature which I severely doubt will ever materialise) I would ask that you scrape together some fucking integrity from wherever you can and leave.

45. blackdreamhunk

@Crysis @StolenGlory

AT your are noob or newbies On these forums. I don’t really need to prove my self any more, because everyone knows that I can back up my comments with facts. If you notice I just love to give links.Your looking at the who made Peter Molyneux. I am not surprised if the who gaming Industry knows my name.

In fact I am so well know in the gaming Industry some game devs give personal beta invite for some games.

46. Michael O’Connor

@44 THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL, MAN! *teardrop*

47. blackdreamhunk

don’t have time read 44 don’t really care because probably not truth I can must likely shoot it down!

48. Michael O’Connor

@45 After that post, I think we can safely say that you’re actually a smart and intelligent troll, and that this personality of PC fanboyism is nothing more than one giant charade.

It would be nice if Pat or someone else bothered to check the IPs of some of these posters, see if they match anyone else.

How the hell do you not have something better to do with your time?

49. blackdreamhunk

@Michael O’Connor

so your resort to name calling when people don’t agree with you. Your right I am smart and I am a gamer not a fanboy the reason you resort to name calling is because I don’t agree with you. By the way when I shot down there was not big name Industry agreeing with me but also the media why I can prove it with links

I am that good

50. blackdreamhunk

@Michael O’Connor

so your resort to name calling when people don’t agree with you. Your right I am smart and I am a gamer not a fanboy the reason you resort to name calling is because I don’t agree with you. By the way when I shot down there was not big name Industry leaders agreeing with me but also the media why I can prove it with links

I am that good

51. blackdreamhunk

there is a reason why a lot of gamers don’t respect a lot of gaming sites like ng4,game spot or IGN. I would hate to see vg247 go down that route. vg247 is a respectable honest gaming site.

It the very reason I come here every day for my gaming news. Must of the time I have a lot more info than vg247 does.

52. blackdreamhunk

these days it’s good to have “creditability” then to have “false” information and “fanboyism” for a gaming site. Real gamers can tell and people can tell.

everything I can say not only can I back them up I can prove it!

53. blackdreamhunk

One more thing My words always come to pass

54. Hunam

No they don’t.

55. blackdreamhunk

@54 really you have been here long enough to me, really have been on the forums I have been on. people who have seen me will tell you others wise.

56. Crysis

No they won’t.

57. blackdreamhunk

google up pc gaming in tatters by Peter Molyneux and you will see me there fighting with that lying game dev!!!

58. blackdreamhunk

look for the original source and you will find me there

59. blackdreamhunk

I posted this link when he said that pc gaming was in tatters and had no games

60. G1GAHURTZ

61. blackdreamhunk

this gaming site has a new location basically this guy gets all the best pc games coming for pc that the mass media does not all the gamers to know about that is coming out for pc. It’s a really good site for real gamers!!! that want to play different games for the pc.

62. blackdreamhunk

oh by the way that kind of list vg247 should have. It would increase the traffic to vg247 if they have a gaming list for all the games coming for all platforms even more so for the pc.

63. blackdreamhunk

One more thing you people fight with me are real gamers your “fanboys”. Real gamers about games!!

64. blackdreamhunk

sorry mean to say

One more thing you people fighting with me are “Not” real gamers your “fanboys”. Real gamers about games!!

65. G1GAHURTZ

Games like GTA and Call of Duty.

66. OrbitMonkey

I was just thinking to myself that Theirs not as many freaks on the streets ranting about the end of the world & Jebus nowadays. Then I realised their all on the internet, ranting about real gamers & which plastic box of electronics is best.

67. blackdreamhunk

I was right about Infinty ward with call of duty. I bought GTA but I am not a big fan GTA games I fine them boring personaly. However there is a lot pc gamers that love rockstars but I see rockstar treat them like dirt.

frankly there are some game devs that treat their fan base like dirt. Personally I don`t why people want to support game devs like that.

I would rather buy a game from game devs like the guys who made border lands than rockstar. the game devs that made border lands love their games and fanbase.

I would rather spend money on publisher like THQ because they respect their fan base.

You want to know why blizzard,Valve,bio-ware,arena net,Dice is so loved by pc gamers because those game devs remember their fans. Those game devs got their back even when they are making the big money

68. blackdreamhunk

at OrbitMonkey

This is off topic, people are not going to see the world as you do. it`s a hard truth.

The end of the world is personal opinion,when you at the big picture I don`t have faith in man kind. I was watching smallville the other day for me it drove that point home only need to turn on the news to see that.

69. blackdreamhunk

vg247 is about gaming, I only bring real world examples to prove a point. Must of time it is effective.

70. OrbitMonkey

*quietly leaves thread, locks door*

71. G1GAHURTZ

Hey bdh,

If Microsoft offered you $1 million per year, plus free 5 star accomodation and a company car (Ferrari) to publicise all of their Activision and Rockstar exclusive games with your solid words, would you accept their offer?

72. blackdreamhunk

at G1GAHURTZ

you want an honest answer I don`t know. I am unpredictable person. I do things on the spur of the moment. Also in the back of my head I remember money is not everything. There things in life that money can not buy.

I would rather live happy and loving life over wealth. If I have best ot both worlds even better.

73. blackdreamhunk

at G1GAHURTZ

sorry that should be

I would rather live happy and loving life over wealth. If I have best of both worlds even better.

74. RickyWicky

If you have such a good life, why does it seem like you’re spending most of it here in a futile argument, pushing opinions that quite have now stated they don’t care about?

75. OlderGamer

BDH is simply one of my fav personalities on this site. No doubt about:

His words are solid!

Not kidding, I love this guy. How boring would it be if we all agreed on everything all of the time?

And ya know, once in awhile, he gets it right.

76. blackdreamhunk

at RickyWicky

wow you have such a small mind and little box you view the world with. I like vg247 because they are a honest gaming site that value peoples opinions and not run by cooperate greed. One of my favorite hobbies is pc gaming.

dude the world is run by peoples ideas

77. Michael O’Connor

ZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz…

78. blackdreamhunk

countries change the world changes on one persons ideas. EA changed for the better over one persons ideas. Man kind grows when they able to share ideas and views. This why the Internet is such a big thing for some people. This why Hitler and dictators feared freedom of speech so much.

a single idea can change the world my friend

79. blackdreamhunk

at 77

I agree back to gaming lol and rockstar sucks lol ;)

80. blackdreamhunk

the best quote ever made and I live bu it

EA Games – Challenge Everything

81. StolenGlory

It’ll be interesting to see what slate R* have planned for E3.

Any predictions?

82. Gekidami

^ Max Payne 3 trailer and release date.

83. blackdreamhunk

it I am not mistaken Max Payne no longer belongs to rockstar.

84. Gekidami

^ Wrong.

85. blackdreamhunk

I am pretty sure that rockstar sold Max Payne rights to another game dev.

86. StolenGlory

Yeah good call. Hopefully we’ll see something on Agent and maybe, just maybe some GTA V whisperings.

Yes it does, it is being developed by Rockstar Vancouver and will be published by Rockstar Games.

87. Gekidami

^ Again, wrong. I thought you knew about the gaming indursty? Seems like your knowledge is lacking.

88. Blerk

They really didn’t sell Max Payne.

89. Gekidami

Comment 87 is directed at 85.

(Damn lack of edit).

90. blackdreamhunk

at Gekidami

I am pretty sure rock star sold Max Payne rights to another game dev. I am not perfect I was wrong with blizzards wow number at one point.

91. Hunam

No, Rockstar Vancouver have been developing Max Payne 3 for the past 3 years.

92. Gekidami

^ Yep, is common knowledge, to true gamers. ;)

93. NeoSquall

@75 HA! this counts as admitting he’s your alter ego!

Case closed.

94. Timber-_-wolf

just proves he knows nothing about gaming even though in an earlier post he brags about knowing everything.
    BDH you know shag all mate.

And by the way i don’t worship Rockstar like you said just because i enjoy there games does not mean i worship them. you don’t even know who my favorite game devs are or my favourite game is so fuck off troll

95. OlderGamer

lol My alter ego, yea I guess you found me out!

96. OlderGamer

btw, I must be Tea, Blerk, G1GA, Frosty, Law, and Michael too.

Oh hell ok, I wioll admit it, I am Patrick Gerhitt too. And oddly enough Steph too. What a strange day this is. lol