Livingstone: Kane & Lynch “not going to disappear”

Thursday, 2nd December 2010 11:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

kane&lynch2

Eidos life president Ian Livingstone has told Eurogamer that Kane and Lynch is far from finished, despite mixed results for the duo so far.

The latest title of the IP, Dog Days, released in August, but was released to mixed reception critically. Despite that, it achieved a number one UK hit.

“We haven’t made any announcements about Kane & Lynch going forward, but we all know that Kane and Lynch are two amazing characters who have a lot of brand equity,” Livingstone told the site.

“Kane & Lynch 2 clearly had a Marmite effect on people.

“You either loved it or hated it. Some people liked the juddering camera, home video style. Others absolutely hated it. Some loved the characters. Some didn’t like the characters.

“But it’s artistic, thrill-a-minute instant action stuff. I thought it was a great game, but I can understand people might not have liked it.”

Developer IO Interactive has suffered recent layoffs and is thought to be developing Hitman 5.

1. back_up

Eidos WTF ???
    They are ready to milk a failed series instead of successful one Hitman
    shame on you Edios

2. Gekidami

Theres a movie based off it coming out, they obviously arent just going to drop the games. Even if they are crap.

3. Captain Fruitloop

I read this as more of a threat than a promise.

It reall.y is a horrible, unpleasant-toned, cynical piece of franchise work

4. kupocake

Sounds like Squeidnix has a problem with finding worthwhile IPs in their backcatalogue. Fancy that.

How’s my parkour open-world Thief 4 coming along, anyway?

5. daytripper

the kayne and lynch games had massive potential but were let down by shocking controls and rigid movement/gameplay.

6. back_up

@5:
    I don’t think so it would be another Army of Two and Gears of War of video game
    Freedom Fighter and Hitman has huge potential than Kane & Lynch

7. daytripper

gears of war pisses all over kayne & lynch imo

8. scuz

kane and lynch should disappear they’re not only both shit characters but the games were mediocre.

9. DSB

Freedom Fighters was easily the best Io game ever. Another Kane and Lynch or Mini Ninjas will probably kill the studio.

Sadly the best thing to come out of that place in the last 5 years has been Playdead Studios and Limbo.

10. kupocake

@7 Really? Who’d have thunk it?

11. EscoBlades

Please…just let K&L die semi-gracefully….it is POOR!

12. AHA-Lambda

nah i gave them a second chance and they blew it. Amazingly K&L2 is a worse game than the first! This series has great potential from it’s premise but i just dont think they’ll finally “get it” third time lucky.

13. Michael O’Connor

Don’t quite understand the Kane and Lynch hate myself.

Aesthetically, I think they’re top quality. The franchise has a feeling of… grit and dirtiness to its that unmatched in any other game. It’s feel really authentic.

I know the games are short and limited in scope, but I played both of them through from start to finish with a friend, and it was an awesome experience.

While it lasted.

14. StolenGlory

I get the whole grit and dirtiness feeling that they are going for, but after the first twenty or so minutes of YouTube shake-o-vision (which is initally as impressive as it is disorientating) it just all starts to feel overplayed and oversaturated. The constant f-bomb carpet bombings that hamstring the dialogue are largely unnecessary at best and act as placeholder in lieu of actual dialog at worst.

Additionally, the shittily paced story and abysmally abrupt ending (if you can call it that) also hurt the game as it churns out a scenario far less interesting than the previous game.

As far as the ‘game’ section of it goes, it really is a Tesco Value third person cover shooter with supremely dumb AI, ineffectual sounding weapons and pretty much bugger all else.

The only mercy is the three hour running time IMHO.

Note the last four letters, I-M-H-O, it’s just *my* opinion not gospel or anything.

15. Hunam

I’ve played them both and found them both pretty shallow. I just finished the second one last night after nabbing it in the sale from steam, the first half was excellent, the youtube thing works far too well it’s disturbing, but the second half was just a grind through bland environments and felt like a game rather than youtube.

16. chronoss2

the first K&L was a big mess, but i like the second, mostly the realistic camera and the graphical part with the bright colors filter.. it’s certainly not a hit but it’s an entertaining game.

17. DSB

I don’t get how you can have an amazing experience with the first one. To me it felt incomplete and totally monotonous, which is a huge shame.

Io have never been big on depth, but when you look at what inspired the game, movies like Heat, it was just shot so far below the mark.

Haven’t played the second one beyond the demo yet, picked it up at the sale as well.

18. psybass

they should disappear, the lest game was suck!

19. xino

the second one was better than first one!
    too bad it was way too short!
    4-5 hours or so, but the story was good as well. Really engaging.

though they focused too much on the multiplayer modes.

let’s hope the 3rd one gets it right, and i know it will!

20. YoungZer0

@13: That’s because hating on K&L is cool. If you don’t hate it you’re a corporation tool. Because Io Interactive fired Gerstmann or something. I totally agree with you on feeling of grit and authencity. I really miss this in other games. It’s serious and dark, while other games just try to be serious and dark and always fail. You can feel the dirt and mud and danger in the streets of Shanghai. In every other game it feels patched on, but the levels in K&L 1/2 … they really deliver an atmosphere.

Though i was not as amused by Dog Days as i was by Dead Men, i still think there is a lot of potential. I really hope these unique characters don’t die out. The market is full of “bad-asses” and “one-liner-heroes”. We need games like this. We need characters like this.

I hope IoI took the criticism serious and tries to improve on the story and character aspects of the third one (If there is going to be one).

21. DSB

@20 I think it’s down to people being disappointed with Io. As long as they stuck to what they were good at, the locked down third person narrated-sandbox, they were golden. As soon as they moved out with Kane and Lynch and Mini Ninjas, it all went to hell.

The owners apparently aren’t brimming with confidence either, given the cuts.

I appreciate what they tried to do with Kane and Lynch, and before it came out I was very excited about it, but ultimately it was a huge letdown.

Personally I haven’t heard Gerstmann mentioned since the thing died out five minutes after he was fired.