Development on Gran Turismo 6 has begun, says Kazunori

Thursday, 4th November 2010 14:47 GMT By Johnny Cullen

gt5merc

Christ almighty.

GT5′s barely gone gold for three seconds, but Polyphony boss Kazunori Yamauchi has said at SEMA that work on Gran Turismo 6 has already begun.

When asked by Autoweek if the 1969 Chevy Camero, the winner of this year’s SEMA Gran Turismo award, would make it into GT6 instead of GT5, Kaz basically stated:

“Right”.

Further in the interview, he’s then asked if development on GT6 has already begun.

“Yeah,” was his reply. But Yamauchi states it’s “too early” to start talking about it.

“It’s not something that we can talk that lightly on. It took 2,000 days to get all the ideas that went into GT5. It’s just too early to be talking about GT6.”

He also gave a more detailed explanation as to why GT5 was delayed last month.

“It was really to adjust it so it would be perfect,” said Yamauchi.

“The first game that I made was Motor Toon Grand Prix for the first PlayStation. The year and a half that it was in development, the last three months as the release date approached, myself and my staff were getting three hours of sleep a day to try and get the game done.

“Near the end, the people from Sony came to our development studio and told us it was good enough and that we could release it. At the time, I probably wasn’t thinking very clearly, being as exhausted as I was, and I talked myself into thinking this was good enough and it went to release.”

He went on to add: “But all the things I thought were not enough yet, the users said the exact same thing when the game came out. That was something I regretted very much when that happened because I knew it was coming. And that happened at the beginning of my career, and it was something I vowed would never happen again.”

A new announcement “sometime soon,” according to Yamauchi, but he is confidant it will be out by Christmas.

Kazunori confirmed earlier this week GT5, after its worldwide delay last month, had finally gone gold. But despite that, we still have no date yet from Sony.

Thanks, TSA.

1. Erthazus

“GT5’s barely gone gold for three seconds”

I laughed my ass off this sentence. Brilliant start XD

2. Blerk

They need to get going if they’re going to be ready for 2027!

3. back_up

Fact PS4 is coming before GT6

4. ReeceHeywood

LOL!

5. Johnny Cullen

Seriously. What the fuck?

You should be working on getting GT5 out first and then do GT6, NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND! >:(

6. Erthazus

JC, It’s just pre-production. I think everything is done with GT 5.

7. StolenGlory

You still have some food on your plate Kazunori.

8. Wadey

So guess they’re not supporting GT5 post launch with DLC. Just release it and forget about it and move onto next project. Thats why Forza will always be better IMO.

9. EscoBlades

EPIC. FACE. PALM!

10. freedoms_stain

@8, you realise they have a huge team and that not all of them will be needed in the early development stage of GT6, right?

11. Crysis

Thought it was to counter piracy by forcing us to have the 3.50 firmware patch (updated from the piratable 3.41 patch which was originally intended), if that’s correct, blame the PSjailbreak guys & their imitators.

12. Psychotech

i don’t think half of the people here understand what he means.Development hasn’t actually begun it’s more like thinking and bringing up ideas for the next one.Surely will take some time before actual development starts

13. lexph3re

@8 seriously did u just say that? Dlc makes a game better? Only when its incomplete is that true. For all we know maybe no reason for dlc because this dev might have actually given it everything it needs. That’s was such a silly praise

14. get2sammyb

I’m sure they’ve been thinking about GT6 for a long time. Go-Karts were supposed to be in GT6 for example.

15. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Makes sense. Sony should pay these perfectionists to have GT6 ready as PS4 launch title.

16. The Hindle

GT 6 will be with us by 2012 i think now that the engine is in place.

17. DBZ0wnz

it took 2000 days to think about GT5, what if the next one takes 4000 days? can we wait that long?

18. lexph3re

I wish people would stop talking about ps4. Its not gonna happen for atleast another 5-8 years. Maybe not even then seeing how the ps3 is still being tapped into. There would be a new console from microsoft or nintendo way be4 sony. And, they’re consoles would probably be just a tiny margin better then the ps3.

19. Dr.Ghettoblaster

5-8 years? Highly doubt that. I’m saying 4-5 tops.

20. The Hindle

Sony need to make some of the 4bn they lost with the PS3 back so no PS4 for a long time. Or alternatively expect the PS4 to be Sonys version of the Wii enhanced hardware no big leap etc.

21. lexph3re

When sony does that I will be done with them as well. But I give It 5-8 because sonys because of their dedication to shelf life. Then with the firmware updates it increaces the life span for features. A ps4 would overall cripple them especially since the consumer isn’t ready for any advanced tech at this point.

22. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I agree 100%. However, with how fast technology advances, 4-5 years is a long time!

23. McLovin85

Sony will want to concentrate on the PSP2 next year and give it some great support within the first 2 years it’s out so I doubt we will hear anything about PS4 until 2012. My guess would be 2013 announcement at E3 with a release of Xmas ’13 or early 2014.

24. lexph3re

I think what will happen is sonys r&d department will spend about 4-5 years looking into the new tech implementaions. Blue ray has atleast another 5 to 10years of milking and integration into the average persons home. That being said the. Companies will want to make as much as they can off of that format and distribution.

I think the advancements that the ps4(if ever anounced) will implement is 3D projection technology from the console. I remember a will back Sony was showing intrest in projection rendering of a 16bit character. I think that would be the next step into gaming to have a console. Projecting its software would be thee ultimate experience for technology.

That being said it would also be fairly far off before reaching that tech. And, sonys motto is to bring new and innovative not a chopey rehash or slight upgrade.

25. Dr.Ghettoblaster

All good points. I can’t WAIT for GT5 man.

Also, with the success of God of War series….I’d be thinking we haven’t seen the last of Kratos on the PS3 either. 2 games on PS2. 2 games on PSP. With the long life they’re needing for PS3, why WOULDN’T they want to do another God of War aka “Kratos” game of some sort on PS3…..I SURE AS HELL HOPE SO!! :)

26. Erthazus

@Dr,Ghettoblaster, if you look closely to the GOW 3 diary, next time they want to do something absolutely new. (New IP).

We will see God Of War 4 for sure, but i’m not sure that we will see it as the next project or this gen at all. But who knows. Everything is possible these days.

27. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I know i know, i’m just saying financially and marketing wise, it’s a no brainer

28. manamana

GT6 Prologue in, say, 3 years. I bet the game will be gold when PS3 is at the end of its cycle …

/swings away, zippin on a drink

29. itwa5me

I read in an interview where someone asked him if they had next gen tech and he said that they were working with it. So with their current reputation they’ll have it out 6 years after PS4.

If sony even lasts to get another system out.

One thing ppl should look at is xbox outsells sony, but xbox is less than 107 of microsoft’s earnings, Sony on the other hand practically carries the entire brand on playstation. So given the economy I doubt we’ll see another system from sony.

30. Psychotech

@29 Welcome to 4 years later

31. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Honestly, I hope Nintendo comes out the gate in 2-4 years with a KICK ASS powerfull brand new system (motion controls OPTIONAL not the main focus) that blows everyone’s pants off and beats all competition to the next-gen

32. lexph3re

Microsoft really isn’t beating sony out as much as some people think. In actuality the sales are super close. For instance in japan 360 has almost literally. Sold as many copies as tales of vesperia have over there. I don’t think they’ve even sold a million in japan yet. Its honestly coming off as a complete failure. But, sony has sold globally extremely well. And still rising, I honeslty believe the console that will drop a newer console would be nintendo then microsoft in that order.

Microsoft won’t be immediate on its new console possibly a year after nintendo, with the ps3 following suit a year to 3 later. Nintendo doesn’t need to release any new console but it would be nice if they did.

I generally don’t argue with the console race anymore because its obvious how it’ll turn out. The only companies that benefit with a NEW console is Ms and Ninten. But, MS just releasing the S series to me counts as a new console because it genuinely has has been altered in both appearance and specs. Where the slim has just changed in the production value.

33. DaMan

they did, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-sells-1-million-in-japan

also, btw Star Ocean4 is the best selling game on 360 in JP.

34. lexph3re

Hey do me a favor daman. Can you grab the ytd 360 sales in japan as of this year or just overall sales.last time I checked this year 360 had sold like 300k-600k units this year while the ps3 and will were in the millions.

I know its been taking a beating over there pretty bad. I also ask because my phone acts slow on vgchartz when I go to it at work. Thanks

35. DaMan

.. I know that, you don’t have to remind me about those err, let’s say, patriotic folks. I merely corrected your post cause it’s been well over a year since 360 did a million over there.

36. Kuwabara