Blizzcon 2010 starts today – opening ceremony is go

Friday, 22nd October 2010 19:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

diabloIIIlogo2

A Diablo III date? If it happens, you’ll hear it here first. Or maybe first-ish.

Both Justin and Nathan are heading to Blizzcon today, with the main keynote kicking off at 11.00am PST/7.00pm GMT/8.00pm CET.

Blizzard’s providing free, limited video streams here. DIRECTV subscribers can also catch the opening ceremony for free on the 101 Network. Get details here.

Expect Diablo III to get a good showing here, so keep it locked for a megaton. A date would be very nice. Two other press conferences are taking place at the event this weekend, and we’ll be covering both live. Here are the details: Friday, October 22

• Main keynote: 11.00am PST/7.00pm BST/8.00pm CET
  • StarCraft II & Battle.net press conference with Chris Sigaty, Greg Canessa: 4.00pm PST/Midnight BST/1.00am CET

Saturday, October 23

• Diablo III and World of Warcraft press conference with Jay Wilson, J Allen Brack: 12.00pm PST/8.00pm BST/9.00pm CET

Don’t miss any of it. Chances of awesome are very high.

1. Debabrata Nath

Warcraft IV announcement or fail

2. Nathan Grayson

@1: Fingers crossed. If they announced Warcraft IV, I would run up on stage and kiss Chris Metzen. On the mouth.

Then again, I’d pretty much do that whenever, given the chance.

3. Dralen

@2 I think everybody at Blizzcon would do just that.

4. XDamage

I didn’t know there was such a thing as first-ish. :D

5. Erthazus

There won’t be Warcraft IV until they will make expansion packs for the SC2

+ Cataclysm is on the way, they can’t do WC IV because of World Of Warcraft lore for now. When expansion packs will be over than they will announce one.

They will announce new IP, probably MMO at this Bliuzzcon and thats what i want.

6. Callum

Isn’t catawhatever the last full expo for WoW ? They got new MMO comming out at some point, pluss the next starcraft chapter thingy?

Warcraft 4 plx

7. Hybridpsycho

@6 They haven’t said anything about Cata being the last expo for WoW, they’ll probably drain money from the MMO as long as they can, hopefully we’ll see or hear something about their new MMO this year, I doubt it though :(

8. SplatteredHouse

Really wanting to see announcement of console D3. Might be satisfied with release date of PC D3. Maybe!

9. Johnny Cullen

Console D3 would be a GIGATON.

10. Blerk

I really can’t see that happening. It’d be fucking amazing if it did, but it won’t.

11. Johnny Cullen

Exactly. I’d love to see it happen, but it’ll never happen in a million years.

12. Patrick Garratt

I’ve just added the Blizzcon hashtag and a bunch of feeds, so it’s getting updates now.

13. DarkElfa

No offense to you Pat or your staff as I’m making this comment generalized to the entire web reporting institution, but seriously, liveblogging is the most ridiculous thing in history.

Have we all become so damned impatient and the press, so damned desperate to be the first people with the gossip that you have to report live from an event as it happens like Joan Rivers at the fucking red carpet?! Jesus, just go to the thing, take notes and then write a detailed consensus. All this blow by blow, “Johnny on the spot” reporting from a fucking game convention is to put it mildly, silly. At this point you might as well just live stream the whole damned affair and have us watch it ourselves.

14. StolenGlory

“Have we all become so damned impatient and the press, so damned desperate to be the first people with the gossip that you have to report from live from an event as it happens like Joan Rivers at the fucking red carpet?!”.

Yep, it’s something we’re interested in.

And I don’t get your problem.

15. DarkElfa

@14, Then you’re part of the problem and I digress.

16. StolenGlory

@15.

“Part of the problem?”.

Wow, just wow.

It’s utterly laughable that you have even decided to label this a ‘problem’.

I mean seriously, who the fuck shit in your cornflakes this morning?

17. DarkElfa

I’m sorry, did you miss the liveblog I did from my cereal bowl shitting? Why take it personal anyways, it was aimed more at the livebloggers than the watchers. They remind me of those talking heads on news programs. They have so little to actually report so they just have people talking shit for 3/4 of the program. Its just dumb.

18. StolenGlory

I missed that?

Hot damn. :)

19. Jockie

Games are big business whether you find the reporting silly or not, people want to know these things and live updates are a good way for a website to engage with its audience.

20. Callum

lol JC…no breaking news. Are you reading the comments at all? If so say my name is the feed! PLEASE!!!

x

see thats a man kiss just for you. Theres more to come if yous say my name!

21. Callum

I honestly didn’t think that comment would turn out quite so gay.

22. SplatteredHouse

Where’s the Home Team commentary? I see no VG representation, within this liveblog (the objective), just a bunch of randomers’ updates.

Is there a metablog sort of thing happening, at this point? :o It’s confusing!

Also, how is Diablo 3, console, not something that’s a done deal? How far away are we from that kind of situation?
    Console players would play the heck out of D3!!! Blizzard would get console presense, greater visibility, chances are, (particularly the case with DLC, and) like with Valve, they may even get some Battle.net catered connection in there – and EVERYONE will be able to play the next Diablo!

I ask, kindly VG, and reporting associates that you seek out some information on this, during Blizzcon. There may even be a cookie in it for ya. :)

23. AHA-Lambda

doesn’t sound like there’s much megaton news items tbh coming from this

i am disappoint

24. Erthazus

More like disappointment on everything actually.