FFXIV’s free trial period extended by a month due to “current state of the game”

Saturday, 16th October 2010 09:11 GMT By Nathan Grayson

ffxiv2

Ever had the distinct displeasure of discovering a fly in your soup? Now imagine if you plunked down your hard-earned cash only to find a whole mess of bugs backstroking around in your alphabets.

Or, you know, just imagine purchasing Final Fantasy XIV.

“For those who purchased the collector’s edition and began to play one week before official service began, the month-long free play period is drawing to a close. Considering the nature of much of the feedback we received, however, and the current state of the game, we have decided to extend the free trial period for all users,” wrote Square Enix.

“Current state of the game,” of course, is a gentle way of referring to multiple broken quests, an interface that could charitably be described as a warcrime punishable to the fullest extent of the law, constant lack of direction, and ever-irksome lag.

Don’t think, however, that Square Enix has completely lost its marbles. The free trial extension – which gives all players another 30 days before they have to start decapitating piggy banks and digging through couch cushions – will hopefully buy the publisher some time while it gives the game an overhaul, the first part of which is scheduled to go live in late November.

Releasing such a broken game in the first place was bad form on Square Enix’s part, no doubt, but at least it’s trying to pick up the pieces. That’s not quite an “apology accepted” from us, mind you, but the game does have potential. Hopefully, this time around, Square Enix can do it justice.

1. KrazyKraut

FFXI is the greatest MMO ever….but what they made with FF14….no thanks..not even when its F2P. They didnt think of all FFXI…only for some new customers.

2. Erthazus

I played this game today and … This is the worst MMORPG in my memory…

I mean, i understand if it was FREE and not Final Fantasy… But there are TONS of these types of MMORPG out there and they are free. Just look them at http://www.mmorpg.com . There is a full list of all MMORPG that exist in our planet.

Just lol… It’s a huge failure. Square Enix sucks c**** again. Only Eidos are saving them now.

3. Lord Gremlin

Erm. “Current state” is so bad actually that no sane person will or should play it, even as F2P.
    They will need a lot of patching and updating to bring this game to the level of a boring, mediocre MMORPG. Right now I’m not sure it is correct to call it a game. Alpha version at best.

4. Hunam

Game is doomed. APB mk2 right here.

5. Epic Fool

Still looking forward to PS3 version… :)

6. The_Red

APB was ages better than this crab. If APB was in the same state as FF14:
    - Its cars (Transport vehicles) would have been model only and not added yet as a feature
    - Character customization wasn’t as great.
    - During shootouts some enemies / players would regenerate without reason and some others couldn’t be targetted
    - All the world was made by 3D editor’s blocks
    - Hotkeys, menus and others were made according to standards of two generations ago.
    - It would have felt like a game made by someone who’s never played WoW or GW or any other successful western MMORPG.

7. NoxNoctisUmbra

I dont think PS3 version will fix a lot of issues. No need to wait. Buy another MMO guys!

8. forsaken4

You think there won’t be a lot of fixes? Recommend you actually look up some information. By the time December hits there will be many changes, have of them being in the november patch. After that they said every 3 months they will update the game at a large amount, 3 months after december is march. Don’t believe me? Here’s your proof.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=f2cf790e548828eb22d3c4dff5f04bf0793632b5 – first sentence show’s the 3 months.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=c07a85c2f170a53057f5a39f56e6fc02b03b1184 – Huge amount of changes.

So before you automatically say it won’t be fixed much, read up on info first.

9. Epic Fool

10. NoxNoctisUmbra

@8 sure they may fix many things, but I bet you game will be still corrupted with PS3. I click on the links, while they want to change it, its not 100%, as well the list is TINY! I am not going to wait 3-6 months for major changes. Face it, FFiX is not that great of a MMO, people play it because its FF and can not get over the fact it sucks. Just like FFXiii sucked big time. FFXiii was the worst game in the entire series!

11. forsaken4

3-6 months does not equal 2 months you know. Actually the first update is in 1 month. If you find that Tiny then you must have never played other games. 4 full posts just to talk about changes is a lot, if I’m correct most games just make… 1? You probably didn’t go to the links inside the Free Trial one. Have you even played the game? Almost everyone online says those fixes are what FFXIV needed fixing with. Also FF9 isn’t an MMO and not everyone hated FF13.

8.9 – http://ps3.ign.com/objects/826/826843.html

8.5 – http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfantasy13/index.html?tag=result;title;0

8.6 – http://www.gametrailers.com/game/final-fantasy-xiii/2649

A+ – http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3148417&sec=REVIEW

4/5 – http://g4tv.com/games/ps3/37581/final-fantasy-xiii/index/

Do I really need to go any further?

12. forsaken4

In case you can’t navigate yourself here’s the simpler version.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html – 4th one on the Topics.

13. Erthazus

“I don’t really see any issues, people are probably overreacting again, I just want an mmo to play from the couch, and this looks like it’ll be a perfect complement to wow, so I can switch to japanese fantasy when I get bored of western and vice versa…”

Is this a joke? as a MMO pro gamer that piece of crap does not even stand close to the World Of Warcraft or it’s clones.

There are a lot of these MMORPG’s for free.

14. Epic Fool

MMO pro gamer eh? Sounds like serious business…

I was just trying to say I very much like the character and environment design of FFXIV, look forward to spending time in its world, and nothing is going to change that.

I didn’t say it was as good as or better or worse than wow, I just said that for me they’ll complement each other nicely. And again: mmo + couch = win. Not that difficult to understand, is it?

15. MVRK

This “mmo pro gamer” guy just gives himself too much credit..