NFS: Hot Pursuit play area 400% bigger then Burnout Paradise

Tuesday, 14th September 2010 18:16 GMT By Johnny Cullen

nfs hot pursuit

Paradise City? A snowflake in the ocean compared to NFS: Hot Pursuit.

Criterion’s Matt Webster has said in an interview on the official EA website that Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit’s play area will be four times as large as that included in Burnout Paradise.

“Put simply, it’s around four times bigger than Burnout Paradise, for cars to be able to usefully reach 260 miles an hour,” said Webster.

“So, well over 100 miles of tarmac road and 30-40 percent more off-road and shortcut areas. We’ve opened a lot of that space up for race and chase, as you are playing online versus human cops.

“At night time, you can just turn your lights off and hide behind a bush, something that isn’t really achievable with AI. When you include elevation changes, it’s a chunk of room. For anyone familiar with Burnout, it’s about four times larger.”

You should totally buy Hot Pursuit. It’s amazing, going by its gamescom showing last month.

Do that for PS3, 360, PC and Wii on November 19.

1. JPickford

Four times the size = 300% bigger.
    Twice the size = 100% bigger.

2. G1GAHURTZ

ZING!

3. MushroomStamp

That’s pretty crazy cuz I almost felt BOP was too big.

4. loki

I still don’t want bornout without takedowns and car damage

5. Wonko

Wait a second. Wasn’t this game supossed to NOT BE open world? Won’t we have a variety of locales like desert, alpine, snowy mountain, forest, seashore, countryside, atlantica, etc?

What happened to going back to the days of the first Need For Speed?

6. Nozz

Wow Burnout: Paradise was pretty big!

7. The_Deleted

And arse.

8. DaMan

nuts, I will be definetely trying this one.

9. Psychotext

What a strange comparison to make. With Burnout Paradise you could go everywhere… Hot Pursuit has you going in a straight line and occasionally selecting which branch you want to take (Like Outrun, if you will).

10. Anders

Oh man. Just reading about someone mentioning Burnout Paradise makes me want to go play it again. That is one great game.

11. DSB

I played Paradise a little, but even without constantly being blasted by Axl Rose and getting my face plastered all over the screen, it all felt kinda boring to me.

All the streets looked the same, all of the countryside looked the same. It was just cross section after cross section, after mountain, after mountain.

I never knew I cared about scenery in driving games, but apparently I do. As I recall the old Burnouts had cooler tracks than that. I might be wrong?

12. The_Deleted

This man speaks the truth. Paradise bricked Burnout.

13. DaMan

Paradise did bore me to death, but I don’t think anyone would deny what Criterion did was impressive (the crashing animations alone are nuts), and plenty of people enjoyed it.

14. The_Deleted

It was a Marmite game for sure. But I like my hectic racers to have a defined beginning and end. Not to be chasing my fucking tail cus the map system sucks.
    Hopefully the next Burnout will keep the open world style but give you defined racing areas like previous games. So there will be one or two short cuts but within a set course.

15. DSB

NFS Underground showed me that open world racing doesn’t have to suck. I played the hell out of that game.

@13 Oh, I wasn’t judging the whole series, I loved playing the old ones. The first one blew my fucking socks off. With Paradise I would’ve been more impressed by a smaller world that was more entertaining to drive through.

16. Kuwabara

bigger, which will mean alot less detail in on buildings or environment

17. Blerk

I already thought Paradise was too big. Bigger doesn’t always mean better in car games. Especially when you have no sense of direction like me.