Diablo III team currently “building content,” out of “discovery mode”

Wednesday, 1st September 2010 09:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

diabloIIIlogo

Yeah. You’re not going to be playing this for a good time yet.

Diablo III director Jay Wilson has told IGN that the gigantically anticipated game is at a pre-polish stage. It still sounds a way off.

“What we’re doing right now is going broad across the whole game,” said the developer, speaking at gamescom last month.

“We’re trying to build up all the content to enough of a point where we can get into polishing. We have good examples of what does it look like for monsters when we’re at ship level, what does it look like for classes, what does it look like for items, we have the answers to those questions, but there’s still some story and questing stuff that’s not hitting the quality level that we want, so those are the things we’re working on.”

Don’t kill yourself just yet, though. Wilson added that the team is now out of “discovery mode”.

“We’re still adding monsters, we’re still working on bosses, we have some that aren’t made yet,” he said.

“We’re working on every Act but we’ve got some areas that haven’t been built yet. We’re still building, but we’re building very fast. We’re not in discovery mode anymore.”

Wilson said the game is “similar” in size to Diablo II.

The company doesn’t like to rush these things: Diablo II turned ten recently, and it’s still going strong.

Diablo III was announced at Blizzard’s Worldwide Invitational in Paris in 2008.

1. Dralen

/Kills himself

2. Patrick Garratt

Don’t do that. You will, one day, play this game. I bet it comes out in 2014.

3. Erthazus

2014 Only.

They need first to release all Starcraft II expansion packs + World Of warcraft addons.

+ i’m sure they will do a lot of expansion packs on the Diablo III like Lord Of Destruction.

4. Dralen

I guess I can look forward to Cataclysm.

5. StolenGlory

They can delay this as long as they want. Hell, they can delay it until i’ve got athritis in all of my joints and i’m stuck in a care home getting my daily food intake through an IV. So long as I can at least articulate my fingers to a minute degree, I don’t care. I will wait as long as I have to for this game to be released in it’s final, polished form.

6. endgame

“Blizzard has never put any sort of date on Diablo III, but the smart money says 2011. Which means 2012, in actuality.” omg pls don’t jinx it! :)

7. Patrick Garratt

@6 – :D

8. mescalineeyes

the real news is that pat has smart money — that talks.

9. Sorraxe

Thats if we survive the 2012 ”judgement Day”

10. DSB

I don’t see Blizzard polishing off most of a games content within a year. They’re gonna make the stuff, and then they’re gonna remake the stuff, and then they’re gonna tweak the stuff, and then they’re gonna tweak the stuff some more, and then they’re gonna go gold out of nowhere when we’ve all become bitter and apathetic.

2012, earliest. That’s my bet.

11. StolenGlory

The very ass end of 2011 I hope, instead of 2012 at least.

I don’t really want Diablo 3 and Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm coming out in the same year.

My head might explode.