THQ doesn’t “really have much sympathy” for used game purchasers

Tuesday, 24th August 2010 14:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ufc

THQ’s to start fighting used games sales by introducing one-time use codes with its new releases, and UFC Undisputed 2010 is just the first out of the gate.

As we reported back in May, UFC Undisputed 2010 includes a one-time code with the game, allowing players access to downloadable content and full online features.  Should the game be purchased used, the code must be bought from THQ or else the player will miss out on DLC and online fun.

According to the game’s publishing director, THQ is unconcerned with how used purchasers feel regarding the matter.

“I don’t think we really care whether used game buyers are upset because new game buyers get everything,” Cory Ledesma told CVG.

“If used game buyers are upset they don’t get the online feature set I don’t really have much sympathy for them.

“That’s a little blunt, but we hope it doesn’t disappoint people. We hope people understand that when the game’s bought used we get cheated. I don’t think anyone wants that, so in order for us to make strong, high-quality WWE games we need loyal fans that are interested in purchasing the game.

“We want to award those fans with additional content.”

No such thing as a free lunch

The “extra-fee for used” movement was started by EA with Project Ten Dollar, allowing used buyers to purchase DLC for $10.

Its Online Pass system is also part of the program, and restricts users from going online with its sports titles unless a code included with the game has been submitted. Used purchasers can open the online component, for a fee.

Sony may test these waters as well, as SCEE president Andrew House said Sony’s looking into its own variation of EA’s theme, and may start charging used buyers a fee in order to unlock its game’s online features.

Such measures are starting to become an industry-wide trend, albeit it’s a small one at this point, but it’s something gamers may need to start expecting as future norm.

Via GI.biz.

1. theevilaires

ok….enough is enough. People who pirate games you’ll get a free pass from me. I won’t judge you anymore. I encourage it now too. I still won’t do it but I refuse to let a bunch of sorry ass devs who put out a shitty game for full price and expect every one to buy it day one and be happy like its fucking UC2 quality rip off good people.

So THQ you’re on my shit list. I have no sympathy for the fuckers who work there who are about to lose their jobs over greed.

2. Doc Robotnik

The title is misleading – it came from a creative member of the WWE team, not publishing.

Anyway, this news story is already out of date. THQ have since come out to clarify their position.

3. Doc Robotnik

@1 No-one goes out of their way to intentionally make a bad game. Calm down.

4. No_PUDding

THQ, I don’t have much sympathy for rent-quality games.

We’re even.

I bought Red Faction Guerilla new, that’s the first and last THQ game worthy of new purchase.

5. Ghost_Dog

Weren’t the sales of UFC 2010 low?

Coincidence?

6. Crysis

why so much hate here? THQ is a great publisher but they do not have the same funds as EA or ActiVision so you can’t expect the same quality, fact is they try & quite often do well, i love so many of their franchises & they’re one of, if not my favourite publisher

7. justiceblob

@1 Yes, because encouraging piracy is definately a suitable reaction to a company (rightfully) trying to recover some money from the greymarket sales of their products.

8. freedoms_stain

What I want to know is what these online passes are actually paying for.

I mean the majority of online play now is p2p, the server requirements for tracking rankings and stats etc are pretty minimal, so what justifies $10 or whatever they’re thinking of charging?

9. theevilaires

No #6 they are a great company to you because you’re a fan of wrestling. WWE games have been all rehash shit ever since Smackdown 2. And they have the balls to pull this act. These ass holes take the same game engine year after year and add a few new things that still suck. How does that warrant $60 from smack down 3 to 4 or whatever fucking number they are on now.

Same shitty product does not have to mean same high end price. All their games should be priced $40. Pud is right the only one being RFG probably worth $60. I don’t know I haven’t bought it yet even though its brand new for $20 now, but I keep seeing THQ on the front box art and saying hey thats the same ass holes who rape the WWE name each year with rehash after rehash. I’ll wait until RFG is $10 then I’ll give my money to THQ.

So THQ if you’re reading this go fuck yourselves! and take my $10 and shove it up your ass after I pirate your game on PC and pay for that extra content you so greedily want to be anal about.

10. Petulant Radish

If you’re angry about them doing this then just don’t play their games, you have no moral right to steal them because you feel aggrieved at it. They’ll also just see there is a demand for their games, just not a legal one, so they’ll implement even more shitty measures than will hurt normal consumers in another misguided attempt to curtail it.

11. LordCancer

is it stealing to wait a month for thq games to be in the $10 bargain bin? I think not.

12. Crysis

@TEA, what do you expect with yearly franchises? look @ FIFA for example, do what ever you will, it’ll be the same game under the hood, & with as many sales as Fifa gets, it proves that it’s still popular & people like the game (i also like their dawn of war series, THE BEST RTS i’ve played), their company of heroes franchises isn’t bad either, Red Faction is pretty good, it goes up to opinion on what you get, if you think the newer version of the same game is worth it, then get it, if not, shut up, SmackDown! vs RAW is their biggest franchise they have & there’s a reason for it, it’s a brilliant game but needs work, i would buy 2011 if they fix the lag, literally a 3 second delay, seems Yukes only cater to americans & the japeneses…

13. Petulant Radish

@11 I was actually referring to his ‘after I pirate your game on PC’ but maybe I misread it, I don’t really care, I just want to pass time until work is over…

14. LordCancer

@13 i was just making fun at thq for being butt hurt. “owe it hurts stop buying my games used” wha wha suck up, lube up, right? lol

15. SplatteredHouse

TEA wrote: Same shitty product does not have to mean same high end price.

and, I agree with him. #6, I want to be nowhere near the screwed up world of gaming, in which THQ could ever be described, with a straight face or any hint of sincerity, as a “great publisher”. What a horrible thought! :(

16. Crysis

@14, it’s obvious you have no idea how the games industry work, & you’re not 8 fucking years old, so don’t use the phrase ‘butt hurt’ makes you look like ever more of a ridiculous fool, pretty sure if you were running a business & you found a ridiculous amount of your items being resold, (stunting new game sales, there for decreasing demand equeling slow sales,) you would not be the slightest bit happy.
    @15. guess you never played Saints Row, Metro 2033, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Red Faction Guerilla, or SmackDown vs RAW, every single one of them i have enjoyed a tonne, then again, but it is an opinion that you don’t like them as a publisher, but Discrediting them as a publisher is insulting to many of those who enjoy their great games, & there are a tonne who do

17. theevilaires

I’m not gonna pirate their stupid games Petulant but believe someone out there will and for this reason alone.

Let me make this CLEAR. $10 isn’t shit. The whole idea is kinda of greedy and jealous of gamestop profits but my main concern is that tactics like this will spin out of control. Why can’t you see the future abuse SONY, E.A. and ACTI will cause from this if we let them get away with this.

Sure they are making the cheap people look bad, but those cheap people are what really keep this industry going. Some of them lost their jobs and stuff s they have no other choice but to enjoy their fav hobby on the cheap.

How about this. Why doesn’t the game industry price games at the price they should be set at by the quality of the title. You sit there and tell me Vampire Rain, Heavenly Sword, MotorStorm Pacific Rift, and Fable 2 was worth $60. And I’ll call you a moron.

You think Madden is worth $60 every fucking year!? A new mode and slightly better graphics with a roster update they could patch in for a fee of 10 dollars every year. But they rather sell a brand new $60 disc that millions buy day 1 brand new anyway with a rehash engine for the past 10 years? Wake the fuck up! Smell the truth here.

realize who the people in the wrong are here. Its E.A. for pricing FIFA,Madden,and Tiger Woods at $60 every FUCKING YEAR instead of the $35 – $40 value it really deserves. They’re gonna get pissed about Game Stop making $55 dollar profit off a 3-10 day new release game that they just made the same money off. How about they stop trying to live life styles above the fucking clouds and realize they would sell more games @ $40 rather than $60.

Would you rather have 10 million people buy your game at $35-$40 or 2 million buy your game at $60 go trade it in so it can be passed through millions more for a set amount of money you will never see because you wanted to see if you can fuck the consumer every year with the same old scam (lame graphics/lame ass game mechanics/ and horrible frame rates with pitiful excuses for your programing skills..oh I’m sorry I meant your laziness)

If we don’t stand together and fight these greedy bastards our medium is doomed to fall the same way as the greedy music and movie industries. Fight E.A. SONY and THQ. If Atci and Ubi follow suit we’re doomed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX–7gFHkU0 :D

18. Crysis

as usaul, TEA has no idea what he’s on about, for one, someone who lost their job has more worry about then playing online games, & if things are really that bad, they won’t even have the internet.
    Also there are many people who enjoy Vampire Rain, Heavenly Sword, MotorStorm Pacific Rift, and Fable 2 will call you an idiot for needlessly insulting them, & would have gladly payed the launch price, those who don’t will have to simply wait til the price lowers or simply rent it

19. angelobrs

I couldn’t agree more to #4′s reply. If you want us to buy your products than make good quality stuff. I didn’t pre-purchase GoW3 because it had some code, I did because it’s the best game I ever played and I may also do that when InFamous 2 goes out.
    And just to make it clear I like the idea to give free stuff to the new game buyer, I just think it’s repulsive to punish people who buy the used game. Think about it people, just create decent DLC and people will keep playing the game, avoid reselling it and even if they do people will get the DLC and the company will earn their precious compensation money.

20. LordCancer

@16 yeah pretty obvious. Game publishers are worse then drug dealers. They raise prices and still they bitch and moan about everything. We can trade everything in our house, our car, our wives but, wait hold on just one minute, don’t you dare trade in your video game you bought cause thats ripping us off. Thats not fair. It’s not my job to sympathize with there bottom line. I only care about the best value I can get for my money. If all they do is blame the consumer then they should shut the doors.

21. Crysis

@20, you bring up in interesting point in there when you mention car, fact is very few people can actually outright buy a car so many, many people buy used cars, either that or obtain a loan so you would think that the car manufactures should be complaining more, infact somebody should mention that in an interview when they bring up used games

22. theevilaires

Once again Crysis is trying to make a name for himself by trying to debate me on this topic. let me give you some advice kid, don’t try cause you’re only gonna fry that 1 brain cell you have left.

(FOR ANYONE QUOTING ME QUOTE ME ON EVERYTHING PLEASE NOT JUST SHIT THAT YOU CAN TRY AND MAKE AN ARGUMENT OUT OF)

Hey Crysis lets see you argue against this:

“realize who the people in the wrong are here. Its E.A. for pricing FIFA,Madden,and Tiger Woods at $60 every FUCKING YEAR instead of the $35 – $40 value it really deserves. They’re gonna get pissed about Game Stop making $55 dollar profit off a 3-10 day new release game that they just made the same money off. How about they stop trying to live life styles above the fucking clouds and realize they would sell more games @ $40 rather than $60″.

“Would you rather have 10 million people buy your game at $35-$40 or 2 million buy your game at $60 go trade it in so it can be passed through millions more for a set amount of money you will never see because you wanted to see if you can fuck the consumer every year with the same old scam ”

And retard if you think Vampire rain is worth being a $60 game then you are a fucking idiot. Plain and simple. That game wasn’t even worth 60 cent. My whole argument behind this $10 dollar bull crap is that its going to open up to more scams.

Do you understand that point retard! Also you’re telling me that people who may have lost their jobs and found a new one that pays much less should some how find another thing to keep them happy and occupied if they can’t afford to enjoy an innocent hobby that they have for many years?

Listen to me you C***sucka this is America. I don’t know what piss shit euro country you come from but this is the richest country in the world and its being destroyed slowing but surely by greed and corruption. For most gamers who don’t have expendable budgets like some may have feel the wrath of greed like this from E.A. because E.A. refuses to do the right thing morally and start pricing their games right by quality. (I know theres much more to it).

Every one needs to just step the fuck back and find out whats the real issue here instead of always saying fuck it lets throw it on the smaller guys. Theres a million smaller guys out there who have to struggle even more because of E.A. and others greed while they carry these ass holes on top. Its not fair. If E.A. has beef with used games then go fight Gamestop. Not piss on the little guy.

I still can’t beleive though after just a few months why did ME2 drop down in price so much so fast…..was it because M$ wanted to get more units sold on 360 before it came to PS3 or did E.A. say this is a great game but you know what I bet we can sell more at $40 than $60.

WAKE THE FUCK UP AND REALIZE THESE PEOPLE ON TOP HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING THEY JUST WANT TO SEE MONEY.

Go try and buy a rare game like Klonoa 1 on the PS1 in Gamestop and tell me what the price is. Yea exactly even though its an old ass game it would probably be priced at $85. People like you are the reason we can’t get anywhere as human beings in a nice respectable society. You’re dumb and ready to bend over cause you think E.A. SONY and THQ are fucking heros because they make a WWE game. YOU DUMB ASS!

Thats what E.A. and other companies are going to do to you next gen. Step on you as they propose some stupid $20-$30 annual fee to play their games on their dedicated servers they’re gonna promise you, with leader boards….whoop de fucking do leader boards for only $30 a year. So you brag to all your loser friends you rank number 198,955th in BFBC top players ever.

LET ME BE CLEAR FOR THE LAST TIME. $10 IS NOTHING. NOT A BIG DEAL FINANCIALLY AS IT IS MORALLY. BUT IT WILL BE ABUSED BY THE GAMING INDUSTRY AND TAKEN TO FURTHER LENGTHS THAT WILL RUIN THE FUN OF GAMING PERIOD. WE HAVE TO STOP THEM NOW!

THINK OF WHAT ACTI WOULD DO IF THEY COULD GET AWAY WITH CHARGING FOR MW2 MP…..OMG THE MONEY THEY WOULD BE SWIMMING IN OFF OF P2P SERVERS….MAKES ME SICK HOW GREED CHANGES PEOPLE.

23. SplatteredHouse

“Why doesn’t the game industry price games at the price they should be set at by the quality of the title.”

Why, not indeed. That would solve a good many problems, apart from TEA’s awful recognition of a quality game, for which ofc, it’ll make absolutely no difference. You’re way off, on Motorstorm, and mistaken to put either that, or HS in with games not worth their asking price.

Edit: “How about they stop trying to live life styles above the fucking clouds and realize they would sell more games @ $40 rather than $60″.

That’s already been proven, by 2K with it’s sports series, which really pushed EA, and a big part of that was the markedly lower pricepoint, on 2ks product. The players got behind 2k efforts in a big way, because they saw a similar competing product (with the fire in its belly) showing that yearly sport games didn’t need to show flat-set prices… EA’s only recourse being to put the rl sports franchises in to long-term exclusivity bondage.

24. MushroomStamp

I think its bullshit unless they start allowing a family to converge accounts. I don’t mind the fact that I already have to pay double for XBL accounts (1 for me, 1 for son). But when I buy a game, my son can’t play online because of these codes even though he is just in the next room. My household should be able go online with the game I just purchased. It’s not just about the used game market, it’s hurts those that have multiple consoles in their house. Greedy Assholes

25. Crysis

they sell madden at that price because it sells at that price, i dont know why you don’t understand this, obviously if people didn’t buy it, they would try something else but this is not the case now is it? i don’t live in Europe i live in Australia, you know, that big island 75% the size of Europe? never played vampire rein so i don’t care about it. & if the people on top had no idea what they’re doing, obviously they would not be on top would they now, i don’t know why i bother responding to you, it’s obvious you’re a 12 year old with nothing better to do, if you aren’t, well i’m truely sympathetic you & YOUR one brain cell, you’re obviously the biggest troll on this site & probably the only one who feels the need to swear in almost every post

26. theevilaires

@ slpatterhouse, you’re right Heavenly Sword probably shouldn’t have been included but MotorStorm: PR should have for sure. Same damn engine, same graphics, and the game was so slow paced as hell. I rather play BURNOUT PARADISE (WHICH WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY OF $60) MSPR was a $40 game no more no less. SONY would have sold twice as many copies.

Mushroom: thats right. People don’t see it from that angle.

27. DarkElfa

THQ’s Net profit in 2009 was 410 million dollars, so I don’t want to hear shit from them about “you cheat us when you buy used games” and bull shit like that. Every game company out there is a corporate greed machine and they’ll do everything shy of breaking the law to part you with every damn dollar they possibly can. Yes, I know, they’re in the business to make money. Well, they’re making a shit ton buy the look of their bottom lines. Well, my job is to part with as little money as I can while still enjoying my gaming hobby and if that requires buying used games, legally, then that’s exactly what I’ll do.

At least until the media companies put enough money into the re-election coffers to get used games, movies and music made illegal.

The reason that car manufacturers don’t complain about used auto sales is 2 fold. First, when someone is able to sell a car or trade it in, they normally do so to be able to get into a new car. Same with games. Second, if a customer who normally can’t afford a full price car gets the chance to try a car from a certain maker, most of the time it leads to repeat sales by that same customer. IOW, it helps create brand loyalty with a customer base they made not have had available otherwise.

Game makers need to figure this out indeed. They need to learn that you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar and by my count, they need as many flies as possible to help eat up the rotting pile of buggy, half finished games they try to heap on us for a 60 dollar full price every year.

Its better to have a gamer playing your game used than not playing games at all because they can’t afford 60 bucks to do so. Used game sales help word of mouth, they provide extra funds to gamers who do buy new and they help keep poorer gamers in your corner and in this incredibly competitive market, you want as many people staying loyal to you as you can get. They call those who pirate, thieves. They call those who buy used, cheaters. As far as I’m concerned, those who pay these bastards full price for their half-assed garbage releases are fools.

I won’t be a thief, but I’d rather be a cheater than a fool.