Warner announces Batman: Arkham City for fall 2011

Thursday, 5th August 2010 14:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

arkham city

Warner’s just announced Rocksteady’s Batman: Arkham Asylum sequel, known as Arkham City.

The game releases next fall for PS3, 360 and Games for Windows

Game Informer also has it on its new cover, which features Catwoman in the two covers planned by the mag.

It was announced earlier this week that the game would be featured in OPM and OXM, but Warner and GI’s beaten them to the chicken.

The sequel to Arkham Aslyum was announced last December at the VGAs, where a teaser trailer showed that Arkham Asyum itself was moved into Gotham City.

It also showed the Joker and Harley Quinn for the game, confirming their appearances in the game.

Also mentioned for the Rocksteady sequel was baddies Talia al Ghul, Mr. Freeze and Two Face.

The UK dev was bought earlier this year by Warner, who will be publishing the game this time instead of Arkham Asylum publisher Square Enix.

We can only think of one word right now: it begins with P and ends with umped.

Press release is below.

BURBANK, Calif. – (Business Wire) Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today announced /*Batman: Arkham City™*/ as the title for its follow-up to the award-winning, critically acclaimed hit videogame /Batman: Arkham Asylum™/. /*Batman: Arkham City*/ will be available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Games for Windows PC and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system in Fall 2011.

Developed by Rocksteady Studios, /*Batman: Arkham City*/ builds upon the intense, atmospheric foundation of /Batman: Arkham Asylum,/ sending players soaring into Arkham City, the new maximum security “home” for all of Gotham City’s thugs, gangsters and insane criminal masterminds. Set inside the heavily fortified walls of a sprawling district in the heart of Gotham City, this highly anticipated sequel introduces a brand-new story that draws together a new all-star cast of classic characters and murderous villains from the Batman universe, as well as a vast range of new and enhanced gameplay features to deliver the ultimate experience as the Dark Knight.

/*Batman: Arkham City*/ is based on DC Comics’ core Batman license. Fans can/* */visit www.batmanarkhamcity.com to sign up to receive updates regarding the game.

1. Blerk

Hurrah! I don’t think they needed the ‘City’ bit, though. Just Batman: Arkham would’ve done.

2. Blerk

Wait, next Fall? Oh man! I thought this’d be a Spring release!

3. Dralen

Is that…CATWOMAN!!

4. DeSpiritusBellum

@2 You’ll wait and you’ll damn well find it worthwhile.

5. DJ Deathstar

Nah too many games next spring let them take their time with it, also yes thats Catwoman and also middle pic look in the background and you can see Two Face dressed as Uncle Sam

6. KrazyKraut

the big full cover with catwoman & batman is second best thing after the Why so serious joker poster…. nice… hope to get a poster of this one.

7. McLovin85

Glad they’re taking their time with this. I was afraid they’d try and rush out a sequel and although next fall is a long way off I’d prefer an awesome game I have to wait a little for rather than some rushed mediocre sequel.

8. Callum

I hate those goggles. I’m sorry, the poster is awsum…but the goggles?! What were they thinking?!

9. Blerk

I can wait. Waiting makes me sad, but not as sad as a rushed sequel would make me.

Those covers are officially awesome. I’ve given them my stamp of approval.

Edit: Is that Two-Face on the poster in the background? :-)

10. Kerplunk

Nice one. Before B:AA few would have got excited at the prospect of a new Batman videogame. One great game later, and we can’t wait.

The characters were great in the last game but it was the array of gadgets that kept things interesting for me. I hope they don’t feel the need to change too much in the follow up.

11. DJ Deathstar

@Blerk look up at my comment #5

12. Blerk

Oops! Speed-reading ftl. :-D

13. freedoms_stain

Yo, Nite Owl called, he wants his suit back.

Other than that: You’ll have to excuse me, I think I’ve just come.

14. Stephany Nunneley

GAH! Now I will have to play the first one. Can’t believe I haven’t yet.

15. Blerk

Get to it, Stephany! Right now. We’ll wait.

16. ThtsWhtSheSd16

Arkham Asylum was amazing. Have super-duper inflated hopes for the second. Not entirely excited about the prospect of waiting until next Fall though…

17. Hunam

Yay!

Loved the first one massivly. The best super hero game ever.

18. The_Red

This one better be as good as the original because seriously, that was great. Not the usual overrated and over-praised 97 out 100 on metacritic but one that was actually a classic, at least for me.

19. Hunam

All they really need to do is fix the boss fights so they don’t suck and make the riddler stuff a little harder and we’re set.

Obviously new types of baddies and new gadgets/combat moves are in order too.

20. Moonwalker1982

Awesome!!! The first one was without any doubt my game of the year 2009, can’t wait, but the wait is a long one!!! Ah well.

I wonder when we’re gonna see the first screenshots, maybe in this issue of GI there’s already some screens.

21. theevilaires

Wow this and UC3 in 2011…..best holiday ever :)

22. LOLshock94

i think every marvel fan should have a look at this trailer

23. Happy Hardon Harry

Too bad it’s fall 2011. The wait is going to be brutal.

Batman AA (PC Version) was the best game of last year. IMO.

I’d urge anyone to the play PC version (definitive version of the game by a mile) as the console versions are sloth like in comparison. Plus you get 60+fps, 16xAA, 16x AF and all that jazz. An amazing experience.

24. theevilaires

I might just give it a try HHH I just finish putting my new gaming PC together. Still sucks I can’t get that damn platinum man…..so close to letting someone else cheat and do it for me :D

25. Moonwalker1982

So because Anti Aliasing (not like i saw ANY jaggies with the 360 version on my plasma) framerate was perfect, and some other graphical features, it’s the definitive version? Nah…not in my book :)

I have seen screenshots and videos of the PC version, and if thats the difference, it’s not worth making a big deal out of if you ask me ;)

Plus i’m not gonna play a game like this with mouse and keyboard, so i’d need a 360 PC controller for it, all unneseccary money that i rather spend on upcoming console games and other things.

26. Happy Hardon Harry

theevilaires said:
    August 5, 2010 at 4:01 pm
    I might just give it a try HHH I just finish putting my new gaming PC together. Still sucks I can’t get that damn platinum man…..so close to letting someone else cheat and do it for me.

It’ll be like a new game for you mate, it’s that good. Plus you can pick the game up for PC, new, for under a tenner.

Here are some comparison below between the PC and 360 version. But you’re better seeing the game in person running. It’ll blow you away.

PC:

360:

PC:

360:

PC:

360:

27. Happy Hardon Harry

If you played the PC game (videos don’t do ANY GAME justice) you wouldn’t be saying such nonsense. Secondly, any regular wired or wireless 360 controller will do.

28. Moonwalker1982

Ok i saw the screenshots, sure there’s a clear difference but it wouldn’t be enough for me. I will definitely buy Arkham City for my 360, cause i’m just a console guy. Now and then i play a game on my laptop, but its just mostly console. I can download the demo for my laptop, simply to check out the difference, but that’ll be all. I’ve 100% finished (ok not the achievements) the game, all the trophies and collectables, i’m done with the game :).

Anyway, GI will contain 12 pages of exclusive information on Arkham City, can’t wait!!!! Please let there be some shots too.

29. Happy Hardon Harry

Moonwalker1982 said:
    August 5, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Sour grapes…

I can download the demo for my laptop

You won’t run a game like this on a laptop. Fuck me.

30. loki

Again PC, after fail PC port of Batman AA. Idiots

31. Happy Hardon Harry

loki said:
    August 5, 2010 at 4:37 pm
    Again PC, after fail PC port of Batman AA. Idiots

Ha, loki, bright as a blackout as usual…

32. DeSpiritusBellum

Not that I want to join the whole childish PC/Console thing, but I’ve had some pretty excellent experiences buying console ports on Steam and just hooking up my 360 controller. Dead Space, Grid, Dirt, Just Cause 2, Burnout, Psychonauts, Splinter Cell etc.

Best of both worlds – You are all pwned.

Not to mention the fact that PC games tend to go on sale a lot faster than the console ones, and usually they go lower as well.

33. Happy Hardon Harry

DeSpiritusBellum said:
    August 5, 2010 at 5:03 pm
    Not that I want to join the whole childish PC/Console

It’s not childish, it’s just that some on here are so blind and hold on to their pride and are unwilling to accept the fact that such a game (Batman AA) is superior on the PC. Simple as.

34. YoungZer0

So many fantastic titles to choose from and they decided to call it Arkham City? Ugh.

35. DeSpiritusBellum

@33 No, it is childish. It really is. It’s about as retarded as argueing over whose dad can take who.

It’s just gratuitous argueing for the sake of argueing. And it’s very gay. And you should stop.

Both machines do the very same thing, the only thing that’s different is the control scheme and the details of how the pixels and shaders are arranged.

I wouldn’t want to play Arkham Asylum with a keyboard, just as I wouldn’t want to play Modern Warfare 2 with a gamepad.

36. AHA-Lambda

fantastic news! :D

fall 2011? nice that they are taking their time i thought this would be mid 2011 in all honesty. And i like the name; i was kinda worried they would call it arkham asylum 2

37. osric90

This game will be A-W-E-S-O-M-E as long as it fixes the first one flaws (running without ny button, just stick and some minor others) and I hope we are able to see Bruce as Bruce too and lots more of cutscenes not that Joker starred.

38. Happy Hardon Harry

No. Being childish is denying the fact that the PC version is the definitive version of the game.

There’s a difference between fact and holding onto ones pride in the name of their console 360/PS3. That’s childish.

39. DeSpiritusBellum

@38 Facepalm. Big, huge, demonstrative facepalm.

Grow up, eh? Only kids and morons deal in universal truth.

Most games today are optimized for consoles. You aren’t making a shred of sense.

40. Happy Hardon Harry

Your argument holds no weight, hence your pathetic response…

41. Moonwalker1982

@ 33, i did admit that the difference is clear, right? I accept the fact that it looks better on pc, which is to be expected. PC games will always look better than console games, but for me that’s no big deal. Anyway, you said i can hook up any 360 controller to it? How can i get my wireless 360 controller to work on my laptop? Cause i don’t have a USB connector or whatsoever with it. So how can i connect it?

As for the game running on laptop. It might just run very well on my laptop. My laptop actually runs Crysis with everything on medium very smooth, and it’s even playable on High. Singularity with everything on highest runs perfect. And so on…so AA might run very well on my laptop.

42. daytripper

fuck sake cant people just enjoy the announcement of what is surely going to be a great game for all three platforms?

43. freedoms_stain

@39, Rocksteady did actually push the boat out on the pc version of AA. PhysX support, 3D support, its fucking beautiful.

@41, there is a wireless adaptor for 360 controllers for Windows.

44. DeSpiritusBellum

@41 Personally I use the USB version. The wireless reciever on my Xbox broke (SHOCKED!) :p

But freedoms_stain already answered.

As others have said I’d never use a laptop for gaming, because the hardware just isn’t versatile enough – heating issues, lack of support. I have a highpowered rig, so it’s very easy to just pick up any port, really.

@40 Whatever. Keep fighting the glorious fight, PC warrior. You’ll get ‘em in the end.

45. onlineatron

I’m happy that Rock Steady are taking their time and not rushing the game out.

I wonder if the city setting will mean a more open world game? The emphasis on ‘fortified walls’ suggests that it won’t be.

46. LOLshock94

47. daytripper

@46 whats that got to do with this story?

48. LOLshock94

because it kicks batmans ass

49. Moonwalker1982

@43, oh damn… so i do have to buy something for the controller to work? Nah, i just don’t play PC games enough for that.

50. Amir Mirzaee

They need to make Arkham City for mature players. Lots of blood, Darkness, Joker Killing and ripping apart people, a sex scene and many others….
    Also, I think Catwoman and Batman means Co-Op. Not a bad think it works well.

51. Phoenixblight

You must have played the wrong game because Batman AA was for mature players. It will stay as at the same rating as the last one because thats the sweet spot for this franchise.

You need to get out more if want sex in a video game.

52. ninjanutta

@31 an alienware laptop would play any game at super high quality,it will cost you nearly 4000 pound but its a pure gaming rig.

53. Phoenixblight

You could get a gaming rig that is better quality and will give you better use at a fraction of Alienware.

54. Moonwalker1982

While i really don’t need sex or Joker ripping people apart, i really DO would like to see blood. Arkham Asylum was such a dark place, it really wasn’t a kid’s game. But still it lacked any kind of blood. When for example those thugs shot the two guards to death, i was expecting some blood…none of it. It takes away from the realism.

55. Boris Fett

I find it slightly humorous that people are asking for a level of “maturity” and “darkness” in the games that you don’t even see in the comic books.

56. Amir Mirzaee

I want it to get an M rating. I don’t think there are newcomers to this comic series. Batman fans are older now. Just think how great it would be if The Dark Knight movie was R-rated. I don’t know why do they need that Teen rating? Joker is threatening anyone he sees to kill him in an obscene way; we should be able to see those killing… I want to see those killing. Catwoman is actually Batman’s lover, why don’t we see them making love? One great example for dark comics is Sin City. Just look at the movie, its gore and blood made it a great movie.

57. Detale

I’m sure there are plenty of place on the internet where you can watch Batman and Catwoman making love if you really want to see it.

Batman is an iconic character who appeals to fans of all ages, from the Saturday morning cartoons, the comics, the movies and all the related merchandising. I’d say it’s a fairly safe bet that they’re not going to have ol’ Bats giving Catwoman one from behind in a videogame.

I loved AA and thought it was perfectly pitched, a different take on the whole concept but still retaining the core of the character. Can’t wait to see how they’re going to expand on that.

58. Demiath

@54:

So the lack of blood takes away from the “realism”, huh? I would have thought the lack of realism had something to do with, say, the outlandish costumes, mutating Jokers and MGS-like metagame pranks? Or is that fairly pedestrian stuff in your view?

Don’t get me wrong; Arkham Asylum was a great game. But thankfully the developers never attempted to include any kind of realism to begin with (and contrary to popular belief, grittiness is not the same thing as realism), so I’m not sure what substantial difference the addition of “blood” would have made.

59. Moonwalker1982

@ 58, all i am saying is that it would have added to the atmosphere. Let’s imagine a game like Dead Space without any blood? Any blood smeared on the walls and floor…it adds to the experience and atmosphere. Ok, so realism was the wrong word.

@ 55

That’s where you are wrong :)

Look up ‘A death in the family’ from the Batman comics or lots of other Batman comics, Batman was actually quite mature in several comics. Just not the animated series comics.

60. Amin360

wow
    I cant believe !!!!!!!!!!!!!