Rockstar North posts job listings, mentions “third-person action game”

Tuesday, 27th July 2010 09:24 GMT By Johnny Cullen

rockstarlogo

CC‘s spotted a dozen job postings going up from Rockstar North, with one of them looking for “experience developing a third-person action game.”

The seven listings, including character animators, popped up on Gamasutra’s job listings page.

Yesterday morning, we rumoured that Grand Theft Auto V is to take place in Hollywood, with a reveal coming soon.

We’re more then likely to believe that these listings are either for GTA V or for PS3-exclusive Agent, as Max Payne 3 is being developed at Rockstar Vancouver, and LA Noire is being done by Team Bondi in Australia.

Take your pick.

1. Erthazus

Max Payne 3 no doubt.

2. AHA-Lambda

I bet on agent

3. Johnny Cullen

@1 I sincerely doubt it’s Max Payne 3, duder. It’s in development in Vancouver.

It’ll be GTA or Agent. I guarantee it’ll be either one of them two.

4. Captain Fruitloop

“modern, spacious, purpose-built studios at the heart of Edinburgh”

which are nicknamed ‘The Call Centre’ by anyone who has to work in them.

R* N NOT a nice place to work…

5. Johnny Cullen

I’m starting to think this actually might be for Agent.

From the press release when it was announced:

“We have always enjoyed making action games, and with Agent we are making what we believe will be the ultimate action game,” said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games.”

6. Gekidami

Wouldnt it be abit odd if North was working on GTAV? I’d assume they’re meant to have their hands full with Agent. Unless GTAV is a PS3 exclusive (which i doubt), i cant imagine Sony being to happy about the guys they’ve paid to make a game starting another project before their ‘order’ is finished.

7. Fin

I’ve heard whispers of this – any details?

8. Razor

“i cant imagine Sony being to happy about the guys they’ve paid to make a game starting another project before their ‘order’ is finished.”

I’d be surprised if R* are actually taking Agent all that seriously. I have a feeling that R* will make Agent, then say to Sony “there’s your exclusive, now leave us alone”.

9. Gekidami

What makes you think that?

10. Razor

Well if you’re R*, would you rather put all your effort into a GTA on three platforms; a known, proven IP…or an exclusive game for a console that’s in last place?

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m sure R* will make sure that Agent is “good”, they have a pedigree, after all. But putting it before GTA V?

It is notable however that this is the first time in some 7 years that Sony and R* have worked so closely, since MS decided to break up the partnership, so I’ll keep an open mind. But personally, I just don’t see R* focusing on Agent over GTA V.

Even Sony would have to understand that.

11. scuz

agent

12. cookiejar

@10 Depends how much wedge was involved. If it was a pretty sum, they’ll be putting their effort into it. Not that it matters anyway. Its Rockstar. They put effort into all of their titles.

13. Erthazus

1) It’s Rockstar

2) We don’t know how much Sony paid Rockstar for that exclusive

3) The right exclusive for the right platform sells very well always.

You don’t have a clue what is this game and judging by “the world of counter-intelligence, espionage and political assassinations in the Cold War” this can be so epic, at least for me.

14. cookiejar

Also thinking about how Rockstar North helped with the production of Red Dead with Rockstar San Diego, Its possible Agent could already be well under way with help from other studios, and now North are starting on a new GTA.

Could well be in that case Agent then GTA V.

15. 2plus2equals5

Aren’t all rockstar games third person action games?

16. mington

table tennis

17. cookiejar

Midnight Club

18. Johnny Cullen

Depending on what the game is, yeah. But Rockstar North rarely develop a massive game once and a blue moon unless it’s a major GTA.

So it has to be either GTA or Agent, like I have said a million times.

No two ways about it.

19. cookiejar

@18 Totally agree.

So two options. 1) Either one will come before the other, so GTA V then Agent or vice versa. or 2) If Agent is said to be a Rockstar North game, will GTA V be done under another studio? San Diego proved themselves with Red Dead. Could it go that way?

This is intereting.

20. HitMan

GTA V or Max Payne 3 no doubt.

21. mington

So are Agent and GTA5 likely to be using LA Noire’s fancy face tech

I can’t wait for LA Noire, you can keep your GTA

22. 2plus2equals5

Ok there are table tennis, midnight club and maybe others, but i don’t see the news.
    Rockstar that develops a third person action game means nothing to me, it’s the rule, not the exception!

PS:
    this is not a critic to vg247 ;)

23. Callum

@4 gossip! Spill all!

24. Johnny Cullen

@19 While I do see what you mean with RDR and San Diego, I highly doubt they’ll let the biggest IP in gaming, let alone of Take Two’s biggest, go to someone that ISN’T the big studio at Rockstar.

While there’s no doubt that San Diego held themselves more then well with Red Dead, I’d be amazingly shocked if it wasn’t Rockstar North doing GTA V.

In fact, I’d consider it a megaton.

25. Razor

NM.

26. WetSnake

Agent.

27. Crysis

most these people highly underestimate how many teams R* has, currently they have 9 studios with one under construction, & 4 upcoming games, R* have the manpower to deliver the worlds best games regardless of wheter it is an exclusive (Agent) or on all the main platforms (Max Payne, GTA V & L.A. Noire[wii is a toy, a party toy, not being offensive here, that's just my view of it]).
    I expect very high quality from R*’s Agent & depending on how it ends up, i’ll more than likely get the week it’s released

28. Gekidami

R* has loads of studios, but thats Rockstar as a whole. Rockstar North is just one of those studios.

29. zod

@20: Max Payne 3 is being developed by Rockstar Vancouver.

And because Agent was already announced last year, I’m 100% sure this “third-person action game” is Agent. GTA 5 isn’t even confirmed to be in development yet btw.

I don’t know where Wikipedia has got it’s information from, but it’s also saying that R* North is developing Agent: