Blur “the start of a big franchise,” says Bizarre

Monday, 19th July 2010 12:16 GMT By Johnny Cullen

blur2

Mr Bond might be Bizarre’s focus right now, but staffer Nick Davies has told Gamerzines that Blur is still a massive deal for the studio.

The racer launched back in May for 360, PS3 and PC, but didn’t fare very well: it debuted in the UK charts at number 14, while it also showed low NPD sales for the month of May in the US.

When asked about the figures, Davies said: “To be honest with you, I think it was a very busy time for racing games,” referring to the releases of Split/Second and ModNation Racers during the same period.

“It rates incredibly highly and it’s a very popular game, and I think it’s going to be a slow-burner.

“I think the multiplayer will stay for a long time and I think people will come back to that time and time again, long after some of the other games have gone back to the second-hand shelf.”

Davies told the site it has signified “the start of a big franchise for Bizarre,” with a plan in place for a Blur 2.

“That’s the plan, yeah,” Davies said when asked on a sequel. “I don’t work on the Blur team specifically so I can’t speak for them, but it’s always been the plan to make the number one racing franchise. That’s as much as I can say!”

Moral of the story: don’t release too many racing games at once.

Bizarre announced on Friday it was working on a new third-person James Bond title, Blood Stone, for PS3, 360, PC and DS.

It’ll release this holiday.

1. daytripper

has a nice little community online apart from a couple of regular moaning weirdos “how dare you take my shield”

2. Angry Norm

I don’t think the PS3′s massive lock-up problems have done the game any favours. There were only a couple of hundred people playing on PS3, the last time I checked. It was fun, anyway, but will be a shame if it dwindles further.

3. Patrick Garratt

I’m playing through the career at the moment on 360, and I honestly really like it. It can be pretty harsh sometimes, but it hasn’t stopped me playing it. The progression’s great. I’ll give it a waz online once I’m done with the single stuff.

4. BraveArse

The online ( 360 ) is superb – I can’t get my head around why there are so few people playing it though. Last night it was under 2000 people online over all the modes available. That said I’m still finding it easy to get into a decent session.

5. Johnny Cullen

I really need to play it a bit more. My first impressions were a bit mixed.

6. daytripper

@4 i could be wrong but my impression of a lot gamers today are:

1)if its not a first person shooter its not interesting

2)if its not got call of duty in title a lot of people dont want to know

3) if its not FIFA 10 or a casual talked about sports game people wont look elsewhere

shame, some great games not selling and from a selfish standpoint i think a lot of gamers tastes are shit and wont open their horizons to games that could bring them just as much enjoyment if not more.

7. Erthazus

When i played it i didn’t liked it at all. After Split/Second it was slow and a little bit easy for the arcade racing game. Don’t know… Nothing special for me.

@6 “i could be wrong”

A little bit. Don’t look at the masses. Some people play LittleBigPlanet, some people play Battlefield or CoD, someone play WoW

8. BraveArse

@4 Yeah I agree – even so you’d think there’s be a larger chunk of the market for this. If all that expanding the market has done is narrow the field of games then that’s really really shit.

9. loki

it is very mediocre start

10. LordCancer

@3 if u think single player is brutal… multiplayer is pure rape.