Molyneux: Wii and Move are essentially the same

Friday, 25th June 2010 13:51 GMT By Joe Anderson

molyneux

Peter Molyneux has said that he feels Sony’s Move and Nintendo’s Wii are essentially the same product.

Speaking during E3 to UGO, Molynuex said he finds it difficult to differentiate between the two systems.

“They seem very similar in their scope,” he said. “I know Sony and Nintendo would argue that they are different, but they kind of seem the same. They enable certain sorts of experiences, and they are analogous to Kinect.”

Kinect, Moylneux said, is the next step, a more advanced technology that will have developers excited.

“I have to take my hat off to Microsoft, because they really did go one step beyond what they needed to do. It would be very easy for them to have created something like the Wii, but instead they did go that extra mile and they said, ‘No, we’re going to make that huge step.’

“I think the real benefits are going to be shown in the next wave of titles that come out,” he added.

Motion control was the talking point of E3 this year, with the words Kinect and Move being on every developer’s lips since Sony and Microsoft’s conferences ended.

Both Move and Kinect release later this year.

1. ivycrew707

Yeah we won’t copy Nintendo, we’ll just come out with something Sony did already and make it a little fancier.

2. Robo_1

Corporate shilling ahoy. If Sony had bought out Lionhead, I’m sure it would be:

“I’ve got to take my hat off to Sony, providing developers with both a camera and a hugely precise motion controller, enables us to do so much more than if we were limited to one tech or the other.”

Don’t get me wrong, Sony pretty much contracting everyone who ever sees Move to speak in gushing praise about how amazingly precise it is, is equally transparent.

3. Dralen

Talk about obvious brown nosing.

4. NiceFellow

They are essentially the same. The question is, are they better tech for playing games than Kinect?

Personally I’m of the view that yes, they are.

Without buttons or other input Kinect is going to be limited to gesture input, which if you think it through doesn’t really allow for that many options, hence the sub-Wii looking titles and the general lack of depth around everything shown so far.

Move is very much the same as the Wii, and it seems obvious already that developers are going to be able to do more with them than with Kinect on it’s own.

5. ivycrew707

I notice Kinect is used with future software or phrases of the like alot

6. StolenGlory

I’m not so sure that the Move being similiar to the Wii is such a bad thing.

I mean call me shallow, but if Capcom offered me a HD Okami title with Move precision level controls I would take it in a fucking heartbeat.

As with everything, there is the strong possibility that it will get abused with huge amounts of shovelware, but a little optimism never hurt right?

7. Quiiick

Molyneux: “Kinect and EyeToy are essentially the same.”

8. evilashchris

To be fair eyetoy never worked properly, hopefully Kinect will.

9. mington

Molyneux: “Fable and Trash are essentially the same.”

10. AHA-Lambda

Molyneux: “Peter Molyneux and fucking annoying wanker are essentially the same.”

11. asdfasdf

eyetoy and kinect are essentially the same

12. Nico23

Molyneux: “Kinect and EyeToy are essentially the same.”
    yeah what he said lol dumb ass

13. Nico23

To be fair the wii remote never worked properly, The move will.

14. ivycrew707

Wonder if he’ll ever have a moment like the guy from Valve at E3

15. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Move is to Wii controls
    -as-
    Kinect is to Playstation EyeCamera

People in todays industry talk too much. Period.

16. Gadzooks!

Controller conshmoller.

It’s all about software. Good implementations and bad implementations will exist for ALL control methods.

17. Telepathic.Geometry

Molyneux – hyperbole. Even if it’s good for the industry, I hate it. :-/

18. freedoms_stain

Change title to “Renowned Microsoft Ass-Licker Licks Microsofts Ass”.

19. Syrok

Why the outrage? He just said what every other random person on the internet has said since Move was revealed.

Silly internet hypocrites :)

20. azmza

Lets say new Wii with better Graphics.

21. Keivz

I agree. He’s essentially correct, imo.

22. mathare92

Molyneux: “Halo and every other first-person shooter since 1995 are essentially the same.”

23. mojo

its rather demoralizing to see a person with apparently little to no understanding of technic (which obv. is a essential part of videogames) having that much power in the industry.

I mean, cant u see the difference? Are u realy that blind?

this is just sad.

24. Elven_Star

Translation: “Kinect sucks, Move doesn’t, I’m jealous”

25. koopa

the wii sucks

26. g00nerz

Molyneux. What a twat.

27. AceTheGamer23

This Molyneux guy always the judge of something but the fact of the matter is that kinect will fail like the first Eyetoy did thats why they decided to use the controller and the camera for better game play and feedback and to be honest the Eyetoy can come out with games that dont use the Move controller like that Kunfu Game thats suppose to come out thats controller free and make hardcore games, The Move is the best of both worlds Kinect will fail when it comes to games but be successful when it come to Controlling Media

28. bytemap

Wow a lot of hatred for this guy. Didn’t know he garnered that much fan in the anger department.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as much as everyone here is as well with their comments. I just find it exciting to see where Microsoft may take this Kinect thing. Not that Im buying it, but besides gaming where will this be used in technology to possibly usher in a new wave of gaming.

Yea that’s right, I’m talking Star Trek Holodeck style gaming – LOL.