First Vanquish gameplay trailer is the best kind of crazy

Saturday, 5th June 2010 08:00 GMT By Nathan Grayson

vanquish

David vs. Goliath? Booooring. Try David vs. hundreds of giant robotic Goliaths, and David’s slingshot is a gun the size of small whale. That’s Vanquish in a nutshell, and while we obviously haven’t gotten our hands on the game just yet, a brand new gameplay trailer from, er, GameTrailers has us counting down the days until we get the chance to do so. Check out all the backflip-kicking, rocket-boosting carnage after the break.

1. Patrick Garratt

Two thumbs here. That looks good.

2. Detale

That looked suitably bonkers. Nice.

3. ybfelix

Looks good, though GT’s video quality makes it even harder to tell what’s going on.

But the dialog is bad, like, real bad. Well, maybe that’s not the focus.

4. dirigiblebill

Looks bloody awesome. Kind of like Zone of the Enders 2 meets Gears of War.

5. SunKing

“We’ve got approximately eight hours to stop that from happening… We WILL stop that from happening.” [Cue nutty as a bag of nuts gameplay footage.]

Yes, lol, I’m sure you will. This looks brilliant and hilarious in the same way Bayonetta was, so me = sold. :D

6. Erthazus

Looks good. I liked it.

7. Balbarian

8. Hunam

Looks like Gears of War vs P.N.O.3 vs Ikaruga

9. Telepathic.Geometry

Wow, looks like a blast. :)

10. AHA-Lambda

I’m more intrigued than bayonetta so that’s a start :P

11. SplatteredHouse

This looks like good fun. I’m definitely interested in the game after that clip. :)

12. Bulk Slash

That looks pretty good fun (although it looked like Gears of Halo to begin with). Shinki Mikami can always be relied on without fail to make a good game.

13. polygem

great. i like the art style a lot. mix of eastern and western style. perfect. crytek…hereĀ“s another fine example of how to make a nice trailer.

14. Gekidami

I dont see much of the east in there. Apart from maybe the shoddy voice acting.

15. SplatteredHouse

Don’t you see any kind of anime influence, especially in the nature of the combat?

16. DaMan

looks like Armored Core mixed with Gears of War.

17. The Hindle

I want one of those suits.

18. Happy Hardon Harry

If it’s not on PC, then it’s not getting bought!

19. manamana

I hope they get the controls right – game looks so disco! On the right is a running Scorecounter, gosh how I luv this stuff!

20. Boris Fett

It’s Platinum Games. “Getting the controls right” is what they do.

This could do for shooters what Bayonetta did for action games. Looks fucking beautiful to play.

21. Mike W

Excellency!!!

22. OlderGamer

Looks like a JP attempt at Gears. Plain and simple.

I agree controls will be a large hurdle, but the dev house is decent so the controls should range from passible to well done.

I think the biggest trouble here is game design. Are we looking at stage timers? Limited amo? Limited health? And trial by fire/trail by error gameplay? If so we are looking at just another JP flavored action shooter. Toss is a few porrly scripted and badly acted cut scenes, and that will complete the deal.

Plus there is the question of MP? Co-op? Online solo/team based VS? I expect there to be some sort of MP survival mode(think Horde).

IDK, looks decent. But not mind blowing by any stretch.

23. DaMan

JP attempt at Gears, you mean like Gears was a NA attempt at kill.switch ;) ?

more like Armored Core I’d say.

24. OlderGamer

I don’t see AC anywhere in there. I get the suits, but that is just part of the JP flavour. Gameplay, it comes across like JP Gears.

25. DaMan

jumping, strafing, that turbo boost, melee. seems more like AC/ZoE/etc company to me, aside from the cover system.

26. Mike W

@OldGamer:

Why even go there bro, how many mechanics did Gears of War borrow from other games before it, Resident Evil 4 (camera behind the character), MGS and Killswitch series (cover system), etc.

I’m not trying to argue with you bro, but Gears of War is far from original. So I don’t quite understand what you mean this is JP attempt to Gears.

27. Gekidami

@OG

I pretty sure its already confirmed the game will have no MP.

28. manamana

@Boris
    I know about Platinum, but what worries me, although not really since its just a game, is the ammo-counter sitting actually directly and hard to read, on the selected weapon. I love the clear Gears-Bulletsremaining-Panel. With so much going on onscreen, its kinda hard to look how much ammo is left. On the other hand, lets wait and see. Maybe they’re getting things right and it will rock to play as much as it is to watch…

29. mathare92

Watched the GTTV episode in its entirety and this was probably the best part.
    Looks proper mental.

30. Johnny Cullen

That’s good shit.

Madworld and Bayonetta were games I loved. This should be of the same quality that those two produced.

31. The Hindle

This looks amazing that suit looks bad ass. Anyone else think Platinum games and Iron man would be a perfect match? Take note Marvel this is how you should make an Iron Man game.

32. frostquake

Me Wantie Real Bad…….

33. OlderGamer

Well a couple of things, to clarify.

I never claimed Gears was original. Gears after all si from Epic, and we would have to go a long ways back to come close to anything they did that was original.

And by a JP attempt, I was talking about this game being aimed at the same market. The point I was trying to elude to is that I feel that the JP stylings of chars, story and game design will keep this game from hitting its mark.

Much the same way that many other well done JP games do. While being high quality, more and more we see jp games missing their intended sales goals(western).

Just file this away as “Yea right old man” and lets sit back and wait to see. This game won’t exactly set the gaming world on fire.

And besides, I really can’t see what the big deal is. I felt the same way when I saw Bayoneta. The core gameplay was alright, the graphics looked decent, but the game was too japanesse for me.

And you folks know me, what I do or don’t like has nothing to do with whatI think you can play and enjoy. Was just tossing my two cents into the hat.

34. Filofax

That looks bloody lovely.