E3 Portal 2 reveal replaced by “surprise”

Wednesday, 2nd June 2010 06:15 GMT By Patrick Garratt

halflife2

We were supposed to be seeing Portal 2 at E3 on June 14. Aperture Science has other plans, apparently.

Dear Subject Name Here,

Aperture Science is pleased to inform you that we have partnered with Valve to announce the gala CANCELLATION of the June 14 Portal 2 event at the Regal Theater. The event will be replaced by a surprise. And even though the cancellation of the event certainly counts as a surprise, we are pleased to further announce that the cancellation of the event is not THE surprise. However, per International treaties regarding the definition of the word “surprise”, of which both Aperture Science and Valve are signatories, the time, date and content of the actual surprise will only become available as you experience the surprise.

If you’d like to ask fruitless questions about the E3 Portal 2 surprise or, more fruitfully, schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve’s Special Envoy to Surprises, Doug Lombardi.

PS: The surprising record scratch is also not the surprise.

No, we don’t know either. Those wacky funsters. As soon as Valve gives us some details, we’ll pass them on.

1. GENE_BC

UPDATE: Valve has canceled this event

2. Freek

If the surprise is Left 4 Dead 3 and not Half Life Episode 3 I doubt Valve will make it out of E3 alive ;-)

3. revolting

I think some people around the net are kind of missing the obvious here… this isn’t an announcement from Valve, it’s an in-character announcement from Aperture Science, as with many Portal-related announcements. It’s all part of Portal’s humour, universe and charm. You need to read between the “it’s cancelled” lines a little. I rather suspect that the “surprise” will be a) awesome and b) very much so Portal related.

4. Johnny Cullen

Episode Three.

Or I will be pissed.

5. Raining_Upwards

I would like to agree with Johnny, in that it ‘has’ to be Episode Three, but I just don’t see it being this announcement since i’m sure that Episode 3 will be shown in addition to whatever Valve is ‘showing’ in the place of Portal 2. I think revolting was right on the money saying that it will be a Portal related announcement, in keeping with the related humour of the announcement this makes a lot of sense.

Left 4 Dead 3 seems unlikely at the minute due to the fact that the fan backlash regarding L4D2 being released less than a year after it’s predecessor is no doubt still fresh in Valve’s mind.

Or they could just want to make boatloads more money and announce it for release this year regardless.

6. mington

Portal 2 demo?

7. Tomo

I fucking love Valve :D

8. Tomo

Making a delay sound awesome is quite a feat.

Thought I ought to qualify the above.

9. KillerDD

And so the hype started…

*EPISODE 3, EPISODE 3! Hngggg*

10. daytripper

please be half life, please. please….PLEASE!

11. AHA-Lambda

@ 3 – this

12. Boris Fett

At this stage, I would seriously expect them to announce Half Life 3 as the continuation of the story, instead of doing an Episode 3.

Now *that* would be a huge reveal. And I expect they’re not just appearing at E3 for the hell of it.

13. ReeceHeywood

Episode 3 = E3. ;D

14. tontsa91

Better be Episode 3 :( How much do we have to pray for it?

15. ShiroGamer

Episode 3 ,please
    please
    please

16. loveassassin13

The real surprise, is that the Portal 2 Event Cancellation, Like the cake, Is a lie.

17. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I think it’ll be a new package (ala Orange Box) containing both Portal 2 and Episode 3. I think that’s the surprise.

What a perfect opportunity for Valve to just shock the shit out of everyone with the LOOOOOOONG awaited Episode 3.

18. fdelfino

The surprise is a DLC for LFD2 that includes the portal gun and the gravity gun on the game.

19. The Hindle

Woah dude @18 are you serious?

20. Dralen

Half-Life! Half-Life! Half-Life!!!

21. fdelfino

@hindle

I hope I was. It’s just my theory.

22. YoungZer0

#3 gets it.

23. AHA-Lambda

EPISODE 3 EPISODE 3 EPISODE 3!!!!!!!!!!

24. The Hindle

Just seen that on N4g. you can see Gmans face as well apparently. Cant wait for E3 now.

25. AHA-Lambda

Gman face! :D

Someone get this on the front page!!

26. rdrcheats

I like Red dead redemption sort of games but.
    liked portal as well very much