Studio Cambridge working on PlayTV 2

Monday, 31st May 2010 15:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

playtv

Senior producer at Studio Cambridge Mark Green has told SPOnG that it’s currently working on PlayTV 2.

Speaking in an interview with the site, Green admitted the hardware update was being worked on alongside updates to the existing PlayTV, DLC for LittleBigPlanet 2 and its Move-compatible title TV Superstars.

“Well, as a whole studio, I think you saw TV Superstars for Move announced a little while ago,” he said.

“We’re still working on Play TV, Play TV 2. And then we have other guys working on other concepts…”

Considering PlayTV is more of a European thing, don’t expect an announcement at E3. But gamescom, on the other hand, you can start placing bets on: the original PlayTV was announced at the old Games Convention in Leipzig in 2007.

1. nbnt

“don’t expect an announcement at E3″ well, I hope so.

2. theevilaires

Is play TV really worth it to you guys over there? Isn’t basically like TiVo here? I don’t watch TV anymore anyway so it doesn’t even matter.

3. AHA-Lambda

“DLC for LittleBigPlanet 2″

IMO studio cambridge working on dlc for lbp 2 is more newsworthy than this rly =/

4. DGOJG

PlayTV works like a crappy version of TiVo (that’s the US version of Sky+ yeah?). It costs us £60 but I was “lucky” enough to get it for £10 when the UK store Woolworths went under. Its basically Freeview that you can pause and record but it takes up alot of memory on the PS3 harddrive.

5. Razor

Cambridge deserve much better than to be working on this junk.

6. cookiejar

Nice, should be alright. I was interested in Play TV myself as a back up recorder, but I might hold off and see what they do with this. DVB-T2 would be nice…

7. Gekidami

I’m guessing this one will have Trophies like the Japanese one.

8. V_Ben

gotta agree Razor. Where’s my PS3 MediEvil / Primal sequel? :)

9. Lazerate

uhh really this is that interesting, ive got sky+ why the hell would i want this lol doubt this is E3 material i was hoping for something like Grand Theft Auto v being shown at E3 *cough* Vice city or san andreas dnt really mind:)

10. onlineatron

I don’t mean to belittle Sony Cambridge’s work but for a studio that once worked on fully fledged titles such as Medievil, Ghosthunter and Primal; it’s disheartening to see them straddled with the more casual side of the PS3.

11. revolting

PlayTV always seems to get a lot of flack around here, and I can’t for the life of me fathom why.

Personally, I see it as a pretty useful tool. It’s no replacement for Sky+, but it was never supposed to be; PlayTV is not in competition with Sky+, it’s in competition with bog-standard Freeview recievers/recorders. And compared to them, it’s great.

Not to mention Remote Play integration, which is where it really shines and is in and of itself worth way more than the price of admission for me.

12. Redh3lix

Already have Sky+ so see no reason to purchase something like this UNLESS aswell as recording TV it allows you to record gameplay, now THERE is something I would definitely buy.

13. Robo_1

I agree. Studio Cambridge are capable of creating some great games, but it seems that this gen they’ve become SCEE’s R&D group. Nothing wrong with that per se, but I do think they’re capable of crafting a great gameplay experience… if indeed enough of the original team is still at SC.

14. itsucks

lol, cambridge is like Sony’s Rare… just doing the dirt work no one gives a shit. Naughty dog can suck a big fat ****.

15. onlineatron

‘big fat ****’

4/5 stars is a great score ;)

16. Herlock

Make Medievil or Primal :(

17. AHA-Lambda

give me medievil ps3!! :(

18. get2sammyb

I think you guys are being a bit unfair on Studio Cambridge. It’s long been teased that they’re working on a new game (which is probably going to be a MediEvil PS3 game).

19. SplatteredHouse

Primal PS3, or welcome yourselves to sharing of the irrelevence that Rare currently enjoys.

20. varsas

I don’t have Sky+ but do own PlayTV and I think it’s pretty good especially since it doesn’t require a subscription. As far as space is concerned I don’t think it requires more space to save video than alternatives.

@theevilaires: TIVO never took off here and even now I don’t think the alternatives except for Sky+ are a popular consumer item and that is a paid for service.