Report – Red Dead Redemption made £10 million in opening weekend

Friday, 28th May 2010 09:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Red Dead Redemption 2

According to MCV, Rockstar’s made a cool £10 million in the first two days of Red Dead Redemption going on sale in the UK.

Despite recent shortages following its release last week, which the firm says it is “working hard” on replenishing supply, the western went to the top of the UK charts earlier this week, and is expected to still be there come next Monday.

More DLC for the game is also in the pipeline following the release of its co-op missions pack next month.

“The game was flying out of the stores,” Game UK’s head of PR Neil Ashurst told the site.

Some branches ran out – particularly of the PS3 version, due to a lower than expected level of stock – but this was apparently felt across all of retail. But we’ve had more arrive and we’re expecting another shipment in the next seven days.”

“The launch went incredibly well,” HMV’s Jonathan Hayes added. “As a relatively new brand, it’s almost done this from a standing start.”

There’s more through the link.

1. mington

i think i’ve spent about 50% of my time in game skinning animals :? i wish you could skip that animatin

2. Gekidami

You sort of can if the animal (or guy you’re looting) is in an awkward position.

3. epic_wanderer

You can force an ‘awkward’ position by stopping your horse directly over the animal, jump off, tap y, skips animation, tap y to jump back on horse.

4. Blerk

That’s a lot of money. The game is awesome, though. Amazingly so.

5. squidman

I’m going to speculate on some numbers:

£10 million at £39.99 a pop comes to roughly 250,000 units sold in its first two days. Rockstar will be undoubtedly be proud.

For comparison purposes only, GTA IV sold around 600,000 units of in its first day alone, which would have made about £23 million.

6. ybfelix

You don’t have to skin a lot though, the game doesn’t drain money very much.

7. Blerk

It’s all about skinning the right things to make the maximum amount of cash. Some critters are worth a hell of a lot more than others.

8. JonFE

Cue Erthazus storming this thread, fuming, in 3… 2.. 1.

:D

9. Dannybuoy

It’s rumored to have cost $100m to make, so they have a long way to go yet. Great start though. I’ll be picking it up next week.

10. Erthazus

@8 *BOOM*

@7 Skinning is not the best thing for cash. I think the best way for cash are mini games or bounty hunt.

11. Blerk

Bounty hunting is the most profitable from my point of view. But I just like shooting things, so I often find myself collecting skins just for entertainment.

12. mington

I think its because i’m a completionist at heart i can’t walk away from a dead animal cross on my minimap.

but i’m only a few hours in and i’m starting to understand its not necessary to skin them all, i’ve had enough money for everything so far, and i haven’t run out of bullets yet either.

side not, you have to ‘active’ the maps you buy? WTF

13. Blerk

That is a bit weird, yeah – you have to do the same with clothing, too.

I’ve never run out of bullets. Not even close.

14. mington

I’m getting used to it, but i don’t like the way how clunky old Mr Marston moves about glitching all over the place after playing games like uncharted 2

can you imagine how much better it would be if they ripped nathan drakes animations and controls and plopped it in RDR, i’d prefer a melee button as well instead of ‘select fist’

15. JPickford

I finished the without needing to buy a thing. Nor did I earn much because I didn’t do a lot of animal or bounty hunting. You can pretty much ignore money if you want.

16. ybfelix

If you hold off the urge to buy a new gun the first time it appears in store, often in missions NPC will give you one for free.

17. Boris Fett

@mington Think of it like this, if you really want to explain away “using” maps – he buys a map of the area, and “transcribes” the information on it to his own, larger map of the surround area.

18. Erthazus

Red Dead Redemption fanboys, you must listen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-yC0xcI9s

I can’t take it away from my head, it’s so awesome.