Lara Croft game using Steam DRM to “combat piracy”

Thursday, 20th May 2010 16:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

lara

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light on PC will make use of Steam’s DRM in order to “prevent piracy”, according to Crystal Dynamics’ Karl Stewart.

Speaking with CVG, Stewart said that along with Steam, other distribution channels were also being considered.

“We’ve gone down the road of implementing Steam DRM where we’ve committed to the US being an exclusive and we’re going to make a decision as to whether or not we’ll use different distribution channels,” he said.

“Tomb Raider’s got a huge following, when you look at Tomb Raider games in the past and how many times they’ve been pirated. I go on some BitTorrent sites and within the first 48 hours there’s like four hundred thousand downloads, it’s crazy.

“Given that Tomb Raider has traditionally been a single player game we have the risk of people saying, ‘I never really wanted to play the online mode, I just want to play as a single player’ You don’t have to do the leader boards, you don’t have to go online. We had to mitigate those risks by doing things like DRM.”

Stewart recently revealed that once released, the game would run you £10/1200 MSP, which is close to the price he quoted back in March.

Game’s out this summer.

1. dfar80

I’d be surprised if core fans of the series were as interested in GoL as they were in previous titles.

Still, Steam DRM isn’t flawless. There’s no shortage of pirated games which circumvent Steam’s game recognition and DRM.

2. Keivz

Bizarre. I buy my games, but does this guy not know steam DRM (heck all DRM) gets cracked/pirated in short order these days?

3. Retroid

“These days”? :)

4. Mineral4r7s

Foolish people. Why don’t they get that all they do is angering their customers with DRM. Its like your running a restaurant and you are advertising your dirty kitchen, unhealthy and bad food. IT just doesn’t work. OR shouldn’t atleast. But Sheeps are plenty.

5. OrbitMonkey

instead of DRM which seems to fuck off everyone… Couldn’t they just put in online only highscore boards, or some other kind of online only ranking/scoreboard system?

To log-in you gotta be using a legit copy or your score/rank/virtual acheivement that you just don’t get in life, won’t be registered.

I appreciate it won’t stop the theives, but if your game is appealing enough, it’ll hook enough paying fans surely?

6. Phoenixblight

That won’t work, not a lot of people care about cheevos on the PC. People fail to realize that studios put data hooks into their games so they actually have the numbers of how many games are pirated. As much as people like to think “I removed the DRM I am ok,” the publisher still has info on how many games are pirated. I remember watching this conference at GDC and they had mentioned it is almost 12 to 1 on PC. That is 12 pirated games to 1 bought version. And people wonder why companies invest into DRM. Eventually it will become cloud services and no one will have access to the game anymore.

7. OrbitMonkey

^No, i guess some folk don’t care and thats why we see DRM and Project 10 dollar. I just figured by putting in more competitive leaderboards, those who did pirate the gane and liked it would, would have a incentive to buy it… Not perfect, but might bring that figure from 12 to 1, down to 10 to 1?