Runic moves 500K Torchlight copies, gets bought by Perfect World

Tuesday, 18th May 2010 15:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

torchlight

Runic Games’ Torchlight has sold 500K copies through digital and retail on PC.

The game is also now available for Mac exclusively through Steam, as you well know.

On top of that, though, China-based MMO publisher and developer Perfect World (Jade Empire, Ether Saga Online) announced via its Q1 2010 results that it had acquired a majority stake in Runic Games, for around $8.4M.

This should be a decent fit on both ends, as Runic is still working on the MMO version of Torchlight which, like Perfect World’s games, will be free-to-play with microtransactions.

Back in March, Runic said that it was making a “serious effort” to get Torchlight onto consoles.

We’ll send ‘em a mail and see if the new deal between it and Perfect World will change those plans or not.

Thanks, Shack.

1. Erthazus

But Epic Games said that all money is on consoles :(

2. Blerk

Torchlight is really great! I love it!

3. OlderGamer

Tourchlight on xbla/psn would be an instant buy for me.

I enjoy the game on steam as well, but playing on the couch/in bed on a TV? Thats win right there.

4. Blerk

Yeah, I’d probably buy it again.

5. Erthazus

@3 Whats the problem? Connect your PC to your TV mate.

6. OlderGamer

Nagh, not in the living room.

I do too much writting to move my PC around like that(I have a tower/desktop).

Plus, your gonna like this one, I would rather use a controler ;)

So I am kind hoping they do bring it out to a system, even better if they could add multiplayer, but with the MMO version being worked on I doubt that would happen.

Not too sure if I like the MMO idea to be honest.

7. Blerk

Yeah, keyboard and mouse on your lap is just wrong, especially the mouse. If it’s on the telly I want a pad.

8. Anders

Great news. Torchlight is a pretty awesome game.

9. endgame

omg u ppl r still using desktops? :D

10. Mauller

Yeah, I’d buy this game again on XBL, especially if it offered some form of MP.

11. OlderGamer

All about the price point vs raw power for me. I would have had to pay 3X as much for a laptop that could do what my desktop can do. And in truth I am not sure I could have found a laptop that could do it. Again not in my price range, anyways. I have a nice office and desk and chair, so not a probem for me.

12. Erthazus

@6 you can connect controller to PC.

13. blackdreamhunk

wow it’s that good huh i may have to pick this game up sometime

14. DJ Deathstar

I Really want this to come to XBLA/PSN it seems perfectly suited to it

15. OlderGamer

They could charge 60bucks for ths at retail if they wanted to and it would sell.

But XBLA/PSN at 15usd, it will do extremly well.

16. Phoenixblight

It wasn’t even that price when it was just released and the game is not worth 60$ not by a long shot.

17. OlderGamer

Old saying, everything is worth what the purchaser is willing to pay for it.

I am not saying they will charge that much, just stating that to many gamers it would be worth it if they did. Esp if they added in couch co-op and online play.

I suspect it will run 1200MS points if/when it does hit xbla.

18. Phoenixblight

There would be a lot they would have to fix so it can go on the console;

1) The UI so its built around the controls
    2) Being able to respec which you can’t do that even with the PC version but you can get a mod that allows you to do so
    3) To make the game much more enjoyable Multiplayer.